Tools

TRUTH......The Vietnam War
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
T R U T H
The Vietnam War
by Terry Garlock*, Peachtree City, GA

Well into the autumn of my life, I am occasionally reminded the end is not too far over the horizon. Mortality puts thoughts in my head, like “What have I done to leave this world a better place?”

There actually are a few things that I think made my existence worthwhile. I will tell you just one of them, because so many of you need to hear it.

No matter how much this rubs the wrong way, I am quite proud to have served my Country in The Vietnam War. Yes, I know, most of you were taught there is shame attached to any role in the war that America lost, an unfortunate mistake, an immoral war, an unwise intrusion into a civil war, a racist war, a war in which American troops committed widespread atrocities, where America had no strategic interest, and that our North Vietnamese enemy was innocently striving to re-unite Vietnam.

The problem is, none of those things are true. That didn’t stop America over the last 50 years lapping up this Kool-Aid concocted by the anti-war machine, a loose confederation of protesting activists, the mainstream news media and academia. They opposed the war with loud noise, half-truths and fabrications. They are the ones who still write their version in our schoolbooks, and their account of history conveniently excuses themselves for cowardly encouraging our enemy while we were at war. You see, having the right to protest does not necessarily make it the right or honorable thing to do.

So, yes, I am defiantly proud to have been among those who raised our right hand swearing to do our duty for our country while so many others yelled and screamed and marched, burned their draft cards, declared, ”Hell no! I won’t go!” and some fled to Canada. In that period of uncomfortable controversy, even patriots tended to look the other way when activists heartily insulted American troops as they returned through California airports from doing the country’s hardest work in Vietnam. War correspondent Joe Galloway summed it up nicely in a column about Vietnam vets in the Chicago Tribune long ago; “They were the best you had, America, and you turned your back on them.”

To be sure, there were lots of warts and wrinkles in the war. We were fighting a tough Communist enemy, defending South Vietnam’s right to remain free. At the same time we were betrayed by our own leadership in the White House with their incompetent micromanagement and idiotic war-fighting limitations that got thousands of us killed while preventing victory. And we were betrayed by fellow citizens encouraging our enemy.

I was trained to be an Army Cobra helicopter pilot. I remember many times, with no regrets, shooting up the enemy to protect our ground troops, firing to cover fellow pilots, and firing to keep the brutal enemy away from South Vietnamese civilians. A high school student asked me last year how I deal with the guilt. I answered that I don’t have any guilt, that I was doing my duty and would proudly do it again.

When John Lennon turned the Beatles into a protest band, his song “Give Peace a Chance” was hailed as genius. Look up the inane lyrics and judge for yourself At protest rallies, crowds of tens of thousands would raise their arms to wave in unison while chanting in ecstasy, “All we are asking, is give peace a chance!” over and over. Luminaries like Tom Smothers, presidential candidate George McGovern, writer and self-acclaimed intellectual Gore Vidal and a host of others lauded Lennon’s song and observed “Who wouldn’t prefer peace to war?”

What self-indulgent, naive stupidity!

My friend Anh Nguyen was 12 years old in 1968, living in the city of Hue, the cultural center of Vietnam. One morning when he opened the shutters to his bedroom window, a shot was fired over his head, the first he knew the enemy’s Tet Offensive had begun. The Communists had negotiated a cease fire for their New Year holiday of Tet, then in treachery attacked on that holiday in about 100 locations all over South Vietnam.

The enemy was well prepared and they took the city of Hue. They had lists of names and addresses provided by spies, and they went from street to street, dragging from their homes political leaders, business owners, teachers, doctors, nurses and other “enemies of the people.” The battle raged four weeks before our Marines retook the city. In the aftermath, mass graves with nearly 5,000 bodies were found, executed by the Communists, many tied together and buried alive.

Anh and his family had evacuated to an American compound for protection. Anh says when the battle was over and they walked Highway 1 back to their home, the most beautiful sight his family had ever seen was US Marines lining the road, standing guard over South Vietnamese civilians. To follow John Lennon’s plea, Anh’s family and countrymen could “Give peace a chance” by surrendering to the Communist invaders, but even a mush-head like Lennon should know there are some things you don’t give up without a fight. I doubt Lennon would have understood the best way to ensure peace is to carry the biggest stick.

Want to know what causes me shame?

In 1973, when we basically had the war won, the US gave it away in a peace agreement when escape from Vietnam was the only politically acceptable option. In the peace agreement, the US pledged our ongoing financial support to South Vietnam’s defense, and pledged US direct military intervention if the North Vietnamese ever broke their pledge not to attack South Vietnam. In the 1974 elections, in the aftermath of the Watergate scandal and President Nixon’s resignation, Democrats were swept into Congress and promptly cut off all funding to South Vietnam in violation of the US pledge.

Of course North Vietnam was watching.

In early 1975 when the North Vietnamese attacked South Vietnam, President Ford literally begged Congress to fund the US pledge to intervene, and Congress refused.

The same news media, protesters and academia who had screamed against the war, firmly turned their back in 1975 and refused to notice the slaughter and inhumanity as the Communists overwhelmed the ally America had thrown under the bus. Even today, few on the anti-war side know or care there were roughly 75,000 executions, that a panicked million fled in over-packed rickety boats and died at sea by the tens of thousands, that a million were sent to brutal re-education camps for decades and also died by the tens of thousands, or that South Vietnamese who fought to remain free - and their descendants - are still persecuted to this day. Abandoning our ally to that fate is America’s everlasting shame.

We could have won that war if our military had been allowed to take off the soft gloves, but it went on far too long with no end in sight, mismanaged to a fare-thee-well by the White House and became America’s misery. Through it all, even the betrayals from home, we fought well and never lost one significant battle.

Leftists think they know all about the war and the Americans who fought it. They don’t know didley.

At the 334th Attack Helicopter Company in Bien Hoa, we Cobra pilots were 19 to 25 years old with very rough edges. We thought of ourselves as gunslingers and might have swaggered a bit. We drank too much at the end of a sweat-stained day, for fun or escape or both. We laughed off close calls with the bravado of gallows humor. We toasted our dead and hid the pain of personal loss deep inside. We swore a lot and told foul jokes. We pushed away the worry of how long our luck would hold, and the next day we would bet our life again to protect the South Vietnamese people and each other.

To properly characterize my fellow Vietnam vets, I need to borrow words from John Steinbeck as he wrote about the inhabitants of Cannery Row, and ask you to look from my angle, past their flaws, to see them as I often do, “ . . saints and angels, martyrs and holy men.” America’s best.

I am proud to be one of them because we faced evil together in a valiant effort to keep the South Vietnamese people free, doing God’s work for a little while, even though it failed by the hand of our own countrymen working against us from safety at home.

More than any other class of people, I trust and admire the American men and women who served in Vietnam and met the test of their mettle, even the ones I don’t know. I wouldn’t trade a single one of them for a thousand leftist anti-war elites

Everyone deserves a second chance But for the naval-gazing flower children who remain unrepentant about encouraging the enemy we were fighting, who still smugly know all the wrong answers about us and the Vietnam War, who have never known mortal danger and didn’t give a fig when Saigon fell and the Commies made South Vietnamese streets run red with the blood of innocent people.

I want to be sure to deliver this invitation before I get too old and feeble:
Kiss me where the sun don’t shine.
-------------------------
*Terry Garlock lives in Peachtree City, GA. tlg.opinion@gmail.com

Published on Wed Jan 30, 2019 in The Citizen, a Fayette County GA newspaper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A Helicopter is always trying to commit suicide, and its up to the Pilot to talk it out of it."

Yes, I too am proud to be “one of them”.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen, brother.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this. Duty, honor and patriotism are pearls and those swine who disrespect those who serve are not worthy of engaging in discussion with. Just feel sorry for the hollowness their lives display. They hate the subject because they are so lacking and seeing good, proud honorable people exposes their vacuous sense of self importance.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your service Sir! I admire you all.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting + as your title said 'Truth'.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU for doing what was right and your duty. whether you know it or not, there ARE some of us that STILL salute and remember those of you that went. i joined the marines in 1969 (tried to anyway) in san antonio and was rejected when they found out i had asthma. but i have never felt anything but respect for those who went. don't ever think we don't remember!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
And many of those navel gazing idiots are now in congress actively engaged in trying to destroy the country I grew up in. We have wasted our treasure not winning or whatever, and I have gotten old. RVN 1966-1967. 1968-1969. U.S. Army (RET)

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I am proud of Americans that fought and still have naughty thoughts about so called "Activists", who are actually TRAITORS. Gob Bless you TG. Thanks for your service. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome home, brothers.

RVN 70-71, and proud of it.

Semper Fi

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very fitting for the 4th of july!

And another Thank You!!

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your service!

I'm really tired of the left wing liberal minority bull shit.

Posts: 221 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
xgrunt--this is what i did to leave the world a better place:

That was my job, and one time a guy asked me how I felt to have wasted a year of my life in VN. I got a bit irate and told him this:

"I can't begin to tell you how many brothers, sons, fathers, uncles, cousins, grandfathers, fiances, boyfriends, and friends came back home because of what I did in Viet Nam. And how many Vietnamese civilians and soldiers survived, and how many civilians' families and soldiers' families got to see and hold their loved ones again---because of what my Dustoff brothers and I did---I don't call it a waste of a year and if you ever bring it up again or even hint at it, you won't see me again."

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

Administrator
posted Hide Post
"More than any other class of people, I trust and admire the American men and women who served in Vietnam and met the test of their mettle, even the ones I don’t know. I wouldn’t trade a single one of them for a thousand leftist anti-war elites"

You are absolutely right.

They came forward and put their lives on the line when their country called.

Many are still suffering for lack of support from the military.

And of course, we can never, ever, forget those who made all the excuses to avoid serving their country.

One draft dodger has been awarded by being given the command of the military! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66730 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer, hats off to you. Well said and well served.
I’m going to post a short clip of what I think is a great tribute to you, the other helicopter pilots and crew, and to those who willed that son of a bitch into the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH2vbYs6ebc

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Exgrunt—thx for that. The most telling comment to me is “they’ll be back” That was our job. As MAJ Charles Kelly , the first DUSTOFF pilot KIA in VN said while sitting in a hot LZ getting shot up and being told to get out of the LZ—“When I have your wounded” or as a grunt said to the medic treating him after the evacuation from a mountaintop LZ in Afghanistan, “I knew you’d come” and that’s why we do it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks once again, I just had to reread it.
I still remember those days quite well.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thing about war is, if you're not prepared to go all the way, better not start.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1575 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I met a medic at Sam's Club one summer a few years ago. We talked and when we parted both of us were crying. I thanked him for his service and for the soldiers that he saved. He had tremendous guilt for the ones he couldn't save.

Thank all of you for your service....be proud!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:
I met a medic at Sam's Club one summer a few years ago. We talked and when we parted both of us were crying. I thanked him for his service and for the soldiers that he saved. He had tremendous guilt for the ones he couldn't save.

Thank all of you for your service....be proud!

As one of my buddies said--"I'd give up all my medals if I could have saved one more."

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Semper Fi!

I Corps, 410days 1966-67

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After the tragedy in the 60s about how our young people treated our returning soldiers being disgusting, to say the least; I remember that all too well when my middle son was home on leave in 03, I took him to Wal Mart shopping for stuff to take back. He was in his Class A's. I can't tell you how many people stopped us to thank him for his service. Still makes me a bit misty.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Son came back from the Marines between the two sand boxes and haven't seen or heard of any sad instances of abuse. Be Well. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right on! This is not 1967 + we don't have to contend with the ilk of Jane Fonda, etc. I'm proud of my sons + their service in the military. Today it seems our troops get much more respect than we ever got in the 60s. Thank God for new respect, our boys deserve it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman Conquest what branch of the military did you serve with?

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To this day I won’t watch a movie with Hanoi Jane in it or having anything to do with it.

The dingbat Dems never learn.

Fuck em.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow ,ed, to anyone but you that would have been perceived as a viable question, + I would have answered USAF, but you are not like anyone else; you just seem to have an ax to grind with someone you have never met. For your own demented reasons; who knows. I have never had to deal with any one of your lower breeding manners in the past. But since you asked me 1st, how about you? Are you in the same category with Idaho Sharpshooter as to your 'supposed' service?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Axe to grind? I guess it's a perceptional thing. I simply asked you which branch of the U.S. military that you served in. You made the statement, in the Vietnam war thread, that you were subjected to insults upon your return from service. I simply wondered where and with whom you served this fine country. I enlisted in the Navy in '66. Became a Hospital Corpsman and served at US Naval Hospital Bethesda, Md. Got sent to the 1st Marine Division in '69. While there I served as a platoon Corpsman with Delta Co. 3rd platoon, 1st Bn. 5th Marine regiment. 23 Mi. Southwest of Da Nang.
Where and with what outfit did you serve your "supposed" service?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cut + run? as you posted on my P.M.? Hmmm, actually Ed. I just didn't want to talk to you. # 1 is the comment you made about me being a cowardly asshole; I would like to reverse the term to you as I have never done anything to you yet you slander me (via online) instead of FTF.I kinda understand your dilemma now that I know a bit of your history of being a Naval corpsman. I know another + he was/is totally F.U. in the head from what he had to deal with with the dead + dying. I have sympathy for you there. The V.A. isnt the best but it is available. I take some friends + my sons if needed to the on run In Temple, Tx. O.K. just for the sake of putting your hatemongering at hold in answer to your initial question, I was stationed at Langley AFB in Hampton, Va. I NEVER said I went to Nam although many friends did (+ in retrospect I'm grateful; I wasn't at the time but then as we all know stupidity goes with youth. My dad did 5 tours in the F-105; he LOVED that war. But my point was that we were all painted by the same brush to the "peace/hippie/reds "movement. We lost Ed because they wanted it more, and the insurrection here at home. Now, please pick someone else at random to torment or just go back to kicking your dog +/or wife if that will give you some tempoary relief for your anger issuses. Oh + bTW find someone else to vent your spleen on; My name is not in the hat. P.S. V.A. ASAP!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have a PM Phoney!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two cents worth from another "Hideout artist".

You got a dog in this fight?

I suggest you mind your own business.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed, I have not responded as I really just want to ignore you. I find you a waste of oxygen + basically wanting to start shit with the 1st guy you found on the site because it gives you a little something to do with your (shallow existence) my words but quite true as I see them. As I said, go on back to kicking your dog or (what is it , wife # 3 or 4 or 5?) No one could live with your attitude.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, ed, now you are making disparaging comments to packy as well + telling him to "mind his own business" What business is that ed? +, more importantly, the comment on the dog in the fight. There is no dog + there is no fight. I told you before to go to the VA because you need it. I do not diagnose anyone but if I were to I would call you one sick puppy. This is a great forum to be on + I have appreciated it for years; if you feel a need to be hateful to other members please take it elsewhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, Americans have never learned, you can't fight any war, with one hand tied behind your back.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1575 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True to a point, especially within the last 50 years, no I'll go 100 since we can all imagine the real state of the world today if at the end of war 2 we had stood up to the soviets + avoided all this over politics. Bur Jefferson had no qualms about hanging the Barbary pirates in the late 1700s nor Zachary Taylor in his Mexico victory in 1847.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, play nicely. And yes, it is my business.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whitworth, yes sir, it is damn sure your business. I apologize if my REACTIONS were offensive to anyone. I am not familiar with anyone just picking me out at random to fling insults + satirical unfounded comments. This is a great site + appreciate it daily + have made many new friends over the years that I would have never met otherwise. This other fellow, however (who I don't even know) has taken it upon himself to write caustic P.M.s + open postings. That was an ACTION on his part. My response was a REACTION. But really I would just as soon never hear from that sick individual ever again.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
For all of you VN guys here and everywhere, Thanks for your service.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Todd for getting the site back on track to the original posting. My dad started flying in Korea + finished up in Nam flying the F-105. I have a display frame under the glass of all his decorations including the DFC.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
My profile picture speaks for me in this matter.
Fury01

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am approaching 63 years old. When I graduated from HS is 1975 I was among the last to get a draft card. I was a 1H (1 holding; next in line..)
A year later they abolished the draft.
We all know the media likes to exploit decention. It was no different back in those days. It was the vocal MINORITY that was visible. My memories of the people I knew were supportive of the veterans. I am proud to be one of them.
About the soldiers. My father and most of the people he knew served in WWII. Funny thing is I never, never heard any of them discuss the war-EVER!.
I think they were proud to serve their country
but something they wanted to leave behind. I did not serve but I can read peoples body language and it is not something these veterans would want their children to endure. They would be supportive of service but knew they may not come back the same person.
I do not believe any of us that have not endured a combat situation can understand the stress, anxiety and fear that is instilled in those situations.
I think we need to care for those returning from conflict and understand what they have endured the best we can. Calling it Honor is really not enough. Think about if you were in their shoes..
I remember my father and I believe he was a happy man and very happy to be home alive after the war. Every thing was easy in life relative to that period in life.
Funny thing: He hated monkeys. I did ask him why once upon a time. He was in the jungle in the Philippines and he said they would make all sorts of chatter if they saw you and you could hear it miles away giving away his position.

Well, A simple smile and a nod can go a long way.

What appears to never be mentioned regarding the Vietnam war area is that was a tremendous amount of resentment toward the demonstrations targeting the returning soldiers. They were far in the minority. Can you say MEDIA...

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote