Find
Notify
Tools

garand questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Pull up their web site. As I recall,one of the requirements was being in some form or other of a militia/sponsered gun club,etc.I do know that a friend of mine had his shipped right to his door + did NOT have to go through an FFL.That might have changed;if we have a change of parties in the next election you can count on it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats why i asked. mine showed up exactly that way. fed ex right to the door

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In regards to the throat erosion and muzzle erosion numbers, average 1000 rounds down the bore will advance the ME and TE one value. Some brand new barrels will have a TE of 1, whereas some others will be closer to a 0, depending on the wear/sharpness of the finish reamer when chamber is cut. Rate of fire will also advance the number, rapid fire wearing a throat quicker. HTH

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Les Staley:
In regards to the throat erosion and muzzle erosion numbers, average 1000 rounds down the bore will advance the ME and TE one value. Some brand new barrels will have a TE of 1, whereas some others will be closer to a 0, depending on the wear/sharpness of the finish reamer when chamber is cut. Rate of fire will also advance the number, rapid fire wearing a throat quicker.

That's all correct; however, folks who've never shot M1s much get all too vexed over apparent TE and ME values, as if a Garand with TE & ME values higher than '2' or '3' will automatically shoot shotgun-pattern groups at 200yds.

The condition of the muzzle crown is much more important to accuracy than ME, unless you're talking about some ridiculously high ME number like 7, along with frosting or pitting up inside the barrel.

I've watched skilled M1 shooters win local club matches (or place in the top 3 out of 25 shooters on the line) with 'as-issued,' JCG-legal M1s that had ME numbers as high as '4.'

More often than not in the Garand-shootin' game, it's the singer not the song. Whistling

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Mine was dilivered by the usps right to my door back in the 80s.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, I see some confusion here; none of the long guns that CMP sells have to go to a dealer; they perform the back ground checks at CMP, and by virtue of you being in a club, or a military veteran, they will be shipped to your door. Now, the 1911s soon to be sold, do have to go through a dealer; political intervention required this.
And throat erosion up to a point, does not mean poor accuracy; it is the muzzle that is important. What it does is reduce velocity. Not usually important in Garand matches.

Posts: 17058 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Ok, I see some confusion here; none of the long guns that CMP sells have to go to a dealer; they perform the back ground checks at CMP, and by virtue of you being in a club, or a military veteran, they will be shipped to your door. Now, the 1911s soon to be sold, do have to go through a dealer; political intervention required this.
And throat erosion up to a point, does not mean poor accuracy; it is the muzzle that is important. What it does is reduce velocity. Not usually important in Garand matches.

ok, so using this logic, can i buy a gun off gunbroker and have it shipped to my door being as i am in a club (texas state rifle association)? if not why? why does the CMP get to do this w/out going thru an FFL holder but no one else? don't get me wrong i think its great CMP can do this, but why only them?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,I don't think being a member of TSRA applies. I'm a member as well but I think they are more concerned with a regular shooting club,etc.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dunno. thats what CMP told me i had to do so i did. and got a garand. i told them i had competed in the 90s in a regular club and they said didnt count as i was no longer a member. as far as being a member of a club and competing in matches they said the fact that i was ex leo and have a concealed permit proved i knew how to shoot etc etc etc so i was bonafied.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's good to know.Thanks for the update as I said,I was not sure.As usual,government rules + regs are greek to me.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The rules only apply to the CMP and you have to be a member of a club that is registered with CMP. Or a veteran counts too. If you are not one of the above, then, no, they will not ship to you.
No you cannot buy a firearm directly from anywhere else.
Why? Because the CMP is a government sanctioned program selling ex Government owned firearms and it has permission to do it this way.
And they do perform the back ground check on that end.
Do not try to apply any logic or inference to the rules and regulations that have been established for firearms purchases. Rules do not follow logic.

Posts: 17058 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BEFORE i got to the last sentence in ur reply i kept saying "yea but"..........!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huh?! Confused

Roll Eyes

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
want to try 43.0 gr rel 15 under a 147 gr ball for the garand and called alliant and got connected with a reloading expert and he says they have no data at all for garands. wierd. anyone else using rel 15? thanks