Notify
Tools

1 Round = $800,000.00
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't think I could afford a 3 shot group

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016...-is-in-question.html

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But they built the gun and the ship anyhow...

Roll Eyes

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Basically a ship/gun lunched guided missile- radar guided 65 mile range and can kill a ship----I'd think it would be worth 800k when a ship costs 200 million +....

How many ships do we need to kill in a naval warfare scenario?

If it is more efficient/effective than an air wing, it would be cost effective.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 155mm Advanced Gun System was designed by BAE Armament Systems.

There's the answer.

You've ignored the US domestic makers and bought some Brit rubbish sold to you by some smooth talking English shyster.

Now, where's that Snake Oil got to. Seriously you've purchased Brit made stuff? Why?

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
quote:
The 155mm Advanced Gun System was designed by BAE Armament Systems.

There's the answer.

You've ignored the US domestic makers and bought some Brit rubbish sold to you by some smooth talking English shyster.

Now, where's that Snake Oil got to. Seriously you've purchased Brit made stuff? Why?

Be interesting to see how Trump deals with the Military Industrial complex. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're Fired!

Hopefully...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw an interesting position on this yesterday- mount the equivalent of the M270 MLRS system on it and use either the standard ballistic rockets, the smart/scatterable DPICM, for ground support/NGF or for point targets the GPS/INS ATACMS or the next gen of that-already in the inventory, USMC and Army; and a stockage of all types of missiles and well proven in GS and Point target success.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My belief is this is spelling the beginning of the end of conventional propellant and missile munitions. Look to these ships being converted to kinetic electromagnetic weapons (rail guns) as soon as power storage gets reduced enough in size. Not long. Then they could shoot 200 miles. That would be only just a few thousand dollars a shot. Directed energy weapons (lasers) have already proven quite capable of neutralizing inbound missiles. Only a matter of time. For that matter you could dust off some WW2 Battleships, refit, and place mega rail guns on them that could bombard precisely from 1,000+ miles away.

Posts: 3648 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rail guns shoot only KE rounds? Wouldn't that equate to a solid cannon shot falling to earth at some less than hyper velocity? (at range) If a guided HE round, then I would agree they have merit, otherwise, a solid , unless at hyper impact velocity, isn't what I would want if I was calling for NGF.

Even if electric rail guns come into their own, that isn't today or tomorrow, so we still need conventional/missile systems to deliver surface to surface or surface to shore fires. Now.