Find
Notify
Tools

M1 Garand
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted
Well, I have ventured further into W2 firearms by purchasing a Garand from the CMP store.

It's an H&R (service grade) that according to their gauges had a very good muzzle and throat.

But one thing bothers me. I suppose it's just a liability issue, but all their literature says to have the firearm checked by a compentent gunsmith before firing.

I gues it wouldn't hurt to check the headspace.

What do y'all think?

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
Bill, you are going to keep messing around and messing around until you are hooked, then you'll become as crazy as the rest of us!
I took the last M1 Garand I received from the CMP and read the same thing you did. After scoping it over thouroughly and flushing about 50 gals of cosmoline and waxed paper out of and off of it, I went to the farm and loaded her up, then put the buttstock into an old tire with the bolt handle sticking up, tied a piece of string around the trigger and backed off about 30 feet and gave her a good yank. The rifle said 'blooey!' cycled through and was ready to go again.
Now, couple of thousand rounds later I'm still amazed at how well the old girl- early 1942 Springfield - shoots. And I do like the M1's.
When do you want to link up and go fire off some of the junk we are so proud of? I'll bring my M1, the CZ52, the GI carbine and anything else you want to play with.
Stay in touch and we still meet on the second Monday night of the month!
Best regards,
trapperP

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
Hehe, this one had no comosline. I will let a gunsmith check the headspace before I shoot up all that ammo I bought at the CMP store.

192 rounds, packed in 8 round clips in bandoleers for $50. That's .26 a round. Plus I have will 24 extra clips.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
All of my CMP rifles have the same warning, however, if you look on the CMP web site, you will see their new bullet trap. Every one of the rifles they ship now has had a clip or magazine fired through it.

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe it is a liability issue with every company that sells milsurp rifles. I got tired of having them checked, having none of them ever fail the no go gauge so I gave up on it.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote