THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MILITARY FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anybody shoot a 303 british or a 30-40 krag in matches?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
What say ye?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, once, well in fact ever since I was fifteen up until about 1997 when I was forty.

At school it was standard military classification (we shot the Bren Gun also) elsewise falling plates or targets at 300 and 500 yards. Plus quickloading competitions. Five or so loaded charger clips with drill rounds per lad. Start standing a eas with the rifle. Hit the deck and the quickest to load and "shoot" all of them off.

Also the odd foray onto an electronic target battle range. With each firing point having an area for prone, a foxhole, a gate ppost (to siulate firing from around a wall) and a sloped wood platform to represent firing from the reverse side of a roof.

In my thirties and forties it was again 300 and 500, a few times at 900 and 1000 yards (I could hit a man target at 1000 yards fairly easily) and fixed bayonet at 200 yards.

Also re-visiting old British Army courses of fire, and standing 200 yards. Plus the "Mad Minute" of one minute and as many rounds as you could at a figure target at 200 yards.

And a few times on a CQB (close quafrter battle range).

At fifteen it was at school using military Mk VII ball. Afterwards when I was in my thirties and forties that supply of reliable CONSISTENT Mk VII had dried up.

Best factory then...no more Kynoch...was South African PMP. All the rest HXP and Sellier & Bellot wasn't as good.

I figured that it was because the PMP was made for war (and thus overhead machine gun fire) whereas the other stuff was made with mere rifle target shooting as its use.

For reloading the best recipe when money was at stake and/or medals.was none of the US powders but Vihtanouri N140 and N150. About 40 or 41 grains behind a 173 grain FMJ.

In the late 1970s the only bullets availbale to reloaders loose were Speer's 180 grain soft point. The ballistic performance qualities of a hhalf a brick and trajectory like a thrown blancmange.

There are various tips and tricks o learn to win. Not gamesmanship but methods in fact taught by the British Army.

It makes me laugh when "Gunnie" Lee Ermey shoots the Model '03 against and SMLE and the SMLE guy doesn't have a clue how to use the thing properly. So "Gunnie" wins.

Any decent Brit brought uo and trained on the Lee Enfield (swe#re all now the youngest of us near on sixty) would shoot "Gunnie" off the range!

Over the years I've shot No4...one hundred plus to choose from at school...and No3 plus the useless Pattern '14 in standard and the 1919 Sniper Rifle.

From standard No4 MkI, to No 4 MkII (I thought the MkI better) with barrels in six groove, five groove and two groove. Fazackerley, Savage, Long Branch, M47 BSAs in standard and No4(T) etc., etc..

And the No3 MkIII in standard and the BSA five groove WWII from Enfield, to Lithgow, to SSA to Ishapore. The military BSA were the best. The Ishapore ovften had issues with the charger guide not being correctly set up.

And I've used them as issue and bedded and set up by Fulton and A J Parker (I dealt with Edna Parker often) and Alex Martin.

But the standard was the better rifle IMHO. Not mucked about with or "fetteed".

So yes, I've shot the .303 British in competition.

Just the once or twice.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I have both the No. 4 MKI and a No. 1 MKIII and find both are quite accurate. I only shot imported commercial ammunition initially but now reload. The SMK is my bullet of choice. Reloading for this cartridge in these rifles is a little different than many others and I only neck size my brass to save wear and tear on the cases by constant shoulder set back.

I had an Ishapore in 7,62 for a while and stupidly let it go. Also quite accurate and again the SMK was my bullet of choice.

These Enfields are fast to cycle and fire accurately with a little practice. I'd say they are the fasted bolt gun out there which I am sure will bring a down pour of criticism but I stand by the claim.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I would run a No. 4 Mk. I with good bore in a military match in a heartbeat. Spares, I had pretty good luck with the Greek HXP, but never tried the South African PMP. I guess I should have.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16317 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I only neck size my brass to save wear and tear on the cases by constant shoulder set back.

Here we all did pretty much the same just setting back the shoulder a very small amount. So a neck size plus a little bit. And we used to crimp, slightly, to get better consistency in velocity.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Agreed. When I acquired my N°4MkI*, I bought along a box of 50 S&B factory rounds (the dealer had no other .303's). The factory loading shot reasonably, enough to sight in the rifle properly). Since then I've been reloading those cases 6 x so far without losing a single one. I partial sized from the 1st. day (my std. procedure, BTW) and my rifle has a new barrel (FTR) and correct headspace (bolt head 0). Cases do not need trimming after each firing and most don't (over)grow for 2-3 x. I'm impressed for I used to bash S&B brass, having experienced poor performance years ago. Did S&B brass improve over the years ?

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
whilst I don't use my 30h's at the range at all I have gotten rather handy at shooting moving targets with quite a few pigs, wild dogs and the odd cat falling prey to federal 180 gr factory ammo

Danger and Death dance to the wild music of the gale, and when it is night they dance with a fiercer abandon, as if to allay the fears that beset the sailorman who feel their touch but see them not

George H Grant

Posts: 20 | Location: Lost in the Queensland Mulga  | Registered: 27 July 2016Reply With Quote