New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vietnam Veterans Day
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
National Vietnam War Veterans Day is a US holiday observed annually on March 29. It recognizes veterans who served in the US military during the Vietnam War. It should not be confused with Veterans Day.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=...9nYws31dz_kiivIhq7zR

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this. I want to thank all of the men who served in Vietnam.

I’m proud of you all..!

Brittman

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome home, brothers.

Semper Fi

RVN 69-70

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome Home!

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Welcome Home!

Thank you for your service!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah we can gather as a group and they can spit on us all at once

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
yeah we can gather as a group and they can spit on us all at once

i don't know, they've been pretty busy spittin' at Trump for the last 3 years.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When someone finds out I was a VN vet they thank me for my service and it makes me feel quite uncomfortable. My story is quite different then most VN vets on how I wound up in VN.

In my family, if there is a war, we go to thank our great country for the freedom we enjoy. My Dad and uncles were all WWII vets and if you wanted to set with the "big dogs", you better have served as had every male relative since the Civil War. This tradition contiuned as a brother in law jumped in to Panama, my son in law, a Marine served in Afghanistan, two nephews served in Iraq with the Army.

In 1967 my older brother and fellow Marine was serving in VN which kept me from going in country because of a rule not allowing two brothers to serve in country at the same time. I prayed he'd get hit, not bad mind you, just enough to get him medivac'd to Japan, which would open an opportunity for me to win the war (I wasn't too smart at the time). I had been filing a waiver and putting in a request 3 times a week, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to volunteer for service in VN. 39 waivers later on that happy day when the 1st Sgt. informed me I finally got my wish and I was VN bound! At that time I was the happiest Marine in the world.

When we landed in country and the smell of the scents and sound of the mysterious Asia told me I had made the right decision. I was sent to the DMZ as a grunt while my brother was with an artillery unit outside of Hue. Prior to my brother rotating home, I was able to see him for a couple of days and lo and behold we both eventually made it home none the worst for the experience except for and ding here and there.

I volunteered for the Marines, volunteered for the grunts and volunteered 39 times to be part of history rather than reading about it. So you can see why I feel uncomfortable when someone thanks me for my service because I got exactly what I wanted, hence no need for the kind thoughts or gratitude.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
When my son came back from the sandbox + on leave, I took him out to Wal mart for a bunch of stuff to take back to base. He was in his Class As. + you would not believe the number of people who came around + thanked him for his service. I took him out to dinner + at the bar, he couldn't buy his own drink, it was already paid for. A major change from 1969. But for the better.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote