Find
Notify
Tools

Cartridges for the M1 Garand
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted
I have an M1 Garand coming to me from the CMP program.

I'm aware that some 30-06 modern commercial loads may be too hot for vintage Garands.

What available ammo is safe to shoot in a Gararnd?

Thanks!

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1539 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
M2 Ball that you load yourself with data from the Hornady book. If you shoot too much 30-06 you will bend the operating rod. Not that is is unsafe.
Also, there is military ammo on the market, or used to be anyway, before the riot panic going on now. NO ammo in any of our shops here. And 9mm is selling for $1 a shot, when you can find it. I know, not germane, sorry.

Posts: 17044 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to buy commercial, I’d get the Hornady military product (can’t remember the name but they have a line for old military guns)

My Garand has had no issues with federal gold medal match ammo, but it’s pretty pricey.

Don’t get any hunting ammo, that’s all loaded with top MV in mind, and uses powders that are not right for the Garand.

If you can find milsurp, that’s good.

I’d be leery of the budget ammo from the big makes, that is whatever they happen to get, and may give excessive port pressure for a Garand.

All factory ammo won’t blow the rifle up, but the wrong ammo will potentially bend the guide rod as DPCD was talking about.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Federal American Eagle has a Garand load.

Posts: 10590 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are some ammo choices:

Sellier and Belott “M2 Ball”
Sellier and Bellot “M1 Garand”
Federal American Eagle “M1 Garand”
Winchester “Service Grade M2 Ball”

They all offer a 150gr FMJ bullet. Unfortunately as stated above, they and many other rounds are hard to find right now.

I myself have settled on a handload with a 147gr FMJ bullet over H335 powder per the Hornady reloading manual. They list other medium burn rate powders for Garand reloading that will not injure the op rod. I use it in the Garand and the bolt action rifles in .30 US Govt (M1903, M1917).

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M1 loads (Courtesy of the NRA)

147 - 155 grain FMJ or HPBT bullets

IMR 3031 - 48.0 grains
IMR 4895 - 49.0 grains
IMR 4064 - 50.0 grains
W748 - 48.0 grains
AA2460 - 49.0 grains
AA2520 - 51.0 grains
AA2495 - 50.5 grains
H4895 - 49.0 grains
BLC-2 - 49.0 grains
H335 - 49.0 grains
RL-12 - 48.0 grains

165/168 grain FMJ, HP or SP bullets

IMR 4895 - 47.0 grains
IMR 4094 - 48.0 grains
AA2520 - 47.5 grains
AA2495 - 47.0 grains
H4895 - 47.5 grains
BLC-2 - 49.0 grains
H335 - 47.0 grains
RL-12 - 44.5 grains

173/175 grain FMJ or HPBT bullets

IMR 4895 - 46.0 grains
IMR 4064 - 47.0 grains
AA2460 - 46.0 grains
AA2495 - 46.0 grains
H4895 - 47.0 grains
BLC-2 - 48.0 grains

180 grain FMJ, SP or HPBT bullets

IMR 4895 - 43.0 grains
AA2460 - 46.5 grains
AA2495 - 45.5 grains
H4895 - 44.0 grains
BLC-2 - 47.5 grains
RL-12 - 41.5 grains

Master Po's comments

These loads only duplicate military spec. velocities for the given bullet weight, using commercial cases and powders. If you are using military cases, drop all charges by 2 grains.
If you are looking for accuracy, drop all charges by 1 grain and work up .2 grains at a time.

Master Po's Ancient M1 load secret
This is my personal M1 load I use in my CMP M1. It will shoot better than Master Po can. I worked this load up, as you should for your own rifle.
Remington .30/06 cases, flash holes deburred and weighed within 1 grain.
Federal GM210M Primers (Master Po has heard the horror stories of Federal match primers in the M1/M1A rifles. If you're squeamish or new to reloading, use Winchester Large Rifle)

47.0 grains IMR 4064
Sierra 175 grain MatchKing
Overall length 3.340 inches

This load, in my M1, duplicates almost perfectly the M72 match load specification with a very low standard deviation. Groups off the bench run 1 - 1.5 inches with the original 1945 barrel on the rifle. Of course, Grasshopper YMMV.

http://www.provenreloads-handl...-service-rifle-loads

Jim

Posts: 544 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all, great information!

I do reload & may try some of the loads suggested; however, first I think I'll try some commercially-produced ammo and then use the spent cases to work up a load.

CMP has 150 gr 30-06 for the M1 (Creedmoor/CMP brand) available in its eStore, apparently in stock as it doesn't have the "Backorder" notation. It's $184 for 200 rounds, free shipping included.

How does this sound? Price seems in line and other sites I checked have no stock available.

I'm thinking I'll order a 200 round pack, subject to any warnings from you guys.

Thoughts?

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1539 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most people do not know that the Issue Garand is made with a gas over pressure plug.
When a Garand is modified to become a Match Rifle, that plug is removed and a solid plug is installed for the purpose of not allowing pressure to be bled off, because Match rifles are fed match ammo for consistent accuracy, especially at 600 yards. The two types of plug are easily visually identified.
Bottom line: Your rifle will not be damaged by commercial ammo.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Wut?

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Bob; no. But I know what you are thinking though, but it is not germane.
The original Garand gas cylinder plugs were solid. No gas is vented. Later when they developed a grenade launcher did they install a plug with a poppet valve in it, and they are marked as such.
STILL; no gas is vented unless you install a grenade launcher. That valve is not a pressure relief valve; it only seats harder under pressure; it must be physically depressed to vent gas.
So, yes you can bend your op rod by using hi pressure ammo. Mostly those with a long pressure curve.
Or always shoot your M1 with a grenade launcher attached. That will solve the problem.

Posts: 17044 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I myself have settled on a handload with a 147gr FMJ bullet over H335 powder per the Hornady reloading manual. They list other medium burn rate powders for Garand reloading that will not injure the op rod. I use it in the Garand and the bolt action rifles in .30 US Govt (M1903, M1917).

I stand corrected! The H335 loads did not seem to do well, accuracy wise. Will try the tried and true IMR 4895.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don’t want to load your own look for some Greek HXP surplus on the CMP ammo thread.

It’s good stuff.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
I load with 47.2g of good old H4895. 168g & 165g
Master Po was my guide

I also have some HXP ammo, which shoots well.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only shoot Lake City USGI M2 Ball or USGI Match ammo.
I have enough USGI LC-67 that I would be glad to sell some.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The correct answer is USGI M2 '06 ball ammo, which is virtually unobtainum now unless you have the discretionary income budget of Donald Trump.

Failing that, the regular feeding of your M1 Garand becomes a handloading proposition if you don't want to see it relegated to a Safe Queen role.

Hornady's Service Rifle load data for the M1, specifically the .30-06 chambering using 150gn FMJ bullets and Varget powder, is a good place to start, although their data tends to be very conservative with these Old School gas guns.

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote