Find
Notify
Tools

Got me a Kar98K
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted
I got hold of a nice 1941 Gustloff in VG state and with a sparkling barrel.

This being my 1st. 8x57 JS, I still have to buy dies, bullets and assorted accessories. Nonetheless, I couldn't postpose test-firing and the only factory ammo I could lay hands on was Sellier & Bellot 196 FMJ (a brand I'm no fan of). Anyway, I went to the range and with sight ladder at 100, I found out it grouped 5-6" high at 50 meters and 11" at 100 m (my first shots went over the target and I had to aim under the bottom of the target holder to bring my shots on paper). Could it be that my sights are regulated with the lighter 154 "Spitzer" bullet ? Otherwise, I might consider a higher front sight.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Andre. No, I think 196 is correct. Why? because 154 grain is World War 1 loading....Ypres, Menin Gate, Passchendale.

196 grain is WWII loading. As the Nazis saw the riflemen as support for the machine gun and the MG34 and later MG42 were both designed for 196 grain bullet that Germany adopted in 1934.

So ALL the infantry were issued with 196 grain bullet in WWII.

It may be...I don't know German tactical doctrine...that if you fit a bayonet it will shoot to the point of aim at 100 yards?

But a higher front sight will also be a good idea, yes.

Last what is your sight picture? Is the top of the foresight in the very bottom of your backsight "V" or are you shooting it like a revolver?

With the top of the foresight level with the top sides of the "V" of the backsight?

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Like you said " top of the foresight level with the top sides of the "V" of the backsight". I located some .323 170 g RN Hornady and intend to give them a try. Also, this PM, I'll go and fetch dies, new PPU cases and assorted 8mm tools. I'll keep you posted. I had the same experience with a M1896 in 6,5SE, where the sight ladder started at 300 m and I solved the problem by switching to a higher FS blade.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK. That seems to be the correct way. So a taller/higher front sight is needed.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
That's a very nice find. I'd be aiming to find a commercial load or a reload that will get you on target without resorting to a higher front sight as the front blade is already high enough visually. To bring your POI down 11" at 100m with the 196 FMJ ammo you are going to need a quite a bit higher front blade which could be a PITA.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I've calculated that I needed a 1,5 mm/.06" higher FS to bring down POI just above POA at 100 m. I think I'll find an original replacement (they came in different heights + Mauser K98 FS blades are the same as Swedish ones for the M96). If I can't find it the easy way on the surplus market, I can always have a spare one from my M96 built up and then filed to correct height (keeping the original untouched, for collector's sake).

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm... I have a full wooden case of WII Nazi in 154grn.. Stuff is the shizel!
Chrono's at 2890fps IIRC

Congrats.... I'd snap me up another if I can ever find one at a price I can live with..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I believe the 154 "Spitzer" bullet was WW I ammo. In WW II, they standardized on the heavier 196 "Schwere Spitzer" to best exploit the MG 42 long range and penetration capabilities.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
I have found my 1934 Standard Modell 8x57 shoots to the sights with 150 grain Hornady's and doesn't do so well with 196's either factory or handloads. Took me a lot of wasted effort and components to discover this.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Try the sight picture with the top of the front sight at the bottom of the rear V.
I have been using that sight picture on K98ks forever.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I've finally located a front sight blade high enough to make my rifle shoot where it is aimed. I also completed the K98K with contemporary accessories like sling, cleaning rod and Fs hood.

Since, I've started again with as new looking Lee-Enfield N° 4 MK I* (actually an FTR, completely arsenal overhauled with new barrel and stock) made by Stevens-Savage in 1943 and marked with U.S. PROPERTY (lend-lease act).

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Above, I posted pics of my recently acquired Lee-Enfield rifle. So far, I had zeroed it with factory S&B FMJ. I'm no fan of the latter but they shot so and so, still staying within the black of a pistol target at 100 meters (109 yds) ; at least, it provided me with some brass... Yesterday I went back to the range with my 1st. handloads to discover the rifle's preference. For starters, I chose the 174 SMK and 2 powders, N135/37.0 and N140/39.0. The former grouped rather good, showing potential to build up. Then I shot the N140 loads and : bingo, it grouped within 1.6 MOA.

The centered 4 shots + 1 flyer at 7:00 (my fault) are from N135 loads and the lower group are N140 loads. Honestly, after reading so much critics, I didn't expect a L-E shooting that nice (good sights do help, no doubt). Anyway, I'll leave it at that and don't think further load development is needed.

A thought crossed my mind, though . My rifle has undergone a full arsenal overhaul ; it's stamped FTR and has a new barrel and stock, apparently unused. However, the bedding puzzles me and I haven't seen its like on another milsurp. The forearm is fully floated at the muzzle end and, as shown in the pic beneath, there seems that an insert has been placed as a pressure point in front of the receiver. It's very nicely done and I wonder if this happened at the factory ? Anyone knows of this, your comments are welcome.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were various ideas about bedding Enfields and these ideas did change from time to time. The only people now in the UK still trading that once did it are G E Fulton at Bisley.

All the others, A J Parker, Alex Martin (in.Scotland).and Parker Hale have now gone out of business. Even though the trading name may still exist.

In Australia Long Lee barrels were fitted into SMLEs to make both factory sniper rifles AND, later, civilian target.shooting rifles.

Viht N140 may be better than N135. Work up to 40 grains and then towards 41 grains using safe load development practices and accuracy should improve.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Thanks, will do and keep you posted.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.