New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bergmann MP18.1
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most famous german submachine gun is the MP 40 ( or the modern MP 5)

Its is easy to spot it in war newsreels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
Edmond, where in the world do you come up with these things????
It would be worth the trip to fly into CDG and come see your toys!
As an aside, I'll post up a photo of my favorite from all the SMG's I have ever had any connection with.

And BTW, the little Uzi falls into second place but not by much! Both were very, very dependable pieces.
Wink

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are welcome but don't fly too late, I am selling the collection. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When doing some research, I discovered that Mr Heinrich Vollmer had helped set up a factory in China where SMGs were made based on the Bergmann MP18.1 Heinrich Vollmer started a company in 1909 to produce cutting machines then later milling machines.
He became later one of the most prolific firearms designer and the major german SMG manufacturer between 1928 and 1945.

Vollmer's company still exists today and is back to its original activity with subsidiaries in France, China and United States.

Schmeisser's life is well documented except the period he was deported to Soviet Union with many other german firearms designers who were captive until 1953 in Izhevsk where they worked under Kalashnikov's supervision.

Bergmann's company still exist today and is a major actor in plastic industry.

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Your threads about weapons are excellent Edmond clap

I have`t used much smgs, but i like the MP5 good, it s easy to use and simple, it is the culmination of the ones that was made previously through the years .

Recently they accepted the HK MP 7 up here, but im not so sure if it was a good way to go, with a compact weapon and a little round that gives little energy , i think that if it had been the best choice if they had chambered it in 7,63 Mauser. Perhaps reinventing the wheel , but when its been made good before , why not update it with modern powder and bullets ?

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The MP 5 is my favorite with a special place for the MAT 49 I enjoyed much and found as reliable as a Sten. Yes, this is is a compliment.

I enjoyed shooting these two cousins this week end and the MP 18 used ammo that jammed many other SMG.
The MP 34 has again given evidence it was one of the most accurate SMGs if not the most accurate in my opinion.

THe MP 7 is a deadly little beast, I handled one some years ago, its round is really up to the task.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AFAIK the Lanchester was for the Royal Navy only and was not accepted by, or used by, any other part of our armed forces. Indeed its naval identity is given away by the receiver housing being of brass/gunmetal.

I have NEVER seen reference to the Lanchester in ANY British ARMY or LAND FORCES Manual that I have seen.

Indeed in Barlow's "Small Arms Manual" 1944 Edition descriptions are given of .45 Thompson; 9mm Sten Mk I, II, III, 9mm Solothurn; 9mm Schmeisser; German Parachute Troops Machine Carbine - WHAT I would call the " classic Schmeisser aka MP40"; 9mm Bergmann; 9mm Beretta. But NO Lanchester!

Nor have I ever seen a picture of British SOLDIERS equipped with the Lanchester. Thompson yes and countless Sten. But Lanchester never!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right. In 1940 after Dunkirk, the Royal Navy asked for an individual weapon with a 50 rounds magazine as an anti aircraft weapon to be used against german dive bombers Stuka.
That's the reason it has a bronze magazine well to avoid corrosion that would jam the introduction of the magazine.

In fact the french 13.2mm Hotchkiss anti aircraft heavy machine gun had been adopted by the Royal Navy only for the first line warships. Other vessels did not have any AA defense.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like there is one MP 18.1 in North Carolina.

From the picture, one can see the cocking lever is broken. The ejector is missing since one can see the bottom part of the bolt.

http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/twc/twc.aspx?appId=1001&f...Params=recordId=1089

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the MP 18.1, is that snail magazine the same as was used in the Luger's ...especially the artillery models?

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the magazines are the same, there wer ealready many in circulation for the Ari Luger with stock, as some kind of pre-SMG for trench warfare.

Ernst Jünger writes about it in his great book "Storms of Steel".

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really? I do remember the part about cleaning his Luger and wrapping it with a piece of cloth inside the holster to protect it from the trench mud but I don't remember anything about SMGs in Steel Storm..

Posts: 1956 | Location: Fla | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by starmetal:
In the MP 18.1, is that snail magazine the same as was used in the Luger's ...especially the artillery models?

Joe

As DUK said, this is the same. Schmeisser's main contribution to the MP 18 was the straight box 20 rounds magazine that he patented after WW1. Unfortunately, it was adopted on the MP 40 making it the most unreliable WW2 submachine gun.
I'll take a Sten over a MP 40 any day if I have to bet my life on a SMG.
Like almost everybody, I do like the design of the MP 40 but give me a PPSh instead if I have to fight with a subgun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dixie Drifter:
Really? I do remember the part about cleaning his Luger and wrapping it with a piece of cloth inside the holster to protect it from the trench mud but I don't remember anything about SMGs in Steel Storm..

Remember how he comments on someone using a "32-shot repeating pistol" to whack Tommies during an offensive? This was I am quite sure the Ari 08, at least I am not aware of any other gun of that kind.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ernst Jünger was a great German, any country is blessed to count such men among its soldiers and writers. http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/ejunger.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Want to know more about Bergmann?
Here you go!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
The last two offsprings of the MP 18 were the Estonian Tallinn model 1923 submachinegun manufactured in small quantity, estimated to 100 pieces, directly based on MP 18-I and the Finnish Lindelöf submachinegun, based on Swiss Bergmann 1920 (itself copy of the MP18) estimated to 60 or 70 pieces.

Until today, no pictures of these mythic SMGs hade ever been published.

Here is a Tallinn 1923.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two SIG Bergmann 1920 in .30 Lüger have surfaced.

One in Switzerland and one in Finland with the SA marking indicating its use by the finnish army.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How it looks after deactivation..

Before. and MP 18.1 bolt assy compared to MP 40 bolt assy.