New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bergmann MP18.1
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
During my research work on MP 18, I came across many MP 28, this one is an enigma. It may be a spanish republican copy but a few parts are machined the same way a SIG Bergmann 1920 is.
Some parts look like MP 18 parts, others look like MP 28 parts. the magazine well is made of bronze as well as the trigger guard.
No markings except this star and logo and a quite high serial number.
Because of the star and high quality machining; I think it was made in basque county for the republican spanish forces.
Sorry, no higher definition pictures, it was taken with a phone camera.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
]

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Internet is great. I have had confirmation that this is a spanish MP 28, the star is the acceptance stamp of the republican ordnance service.
Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty good stuff for a photo phone!

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nokia 6280

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 1940, after the Battle of Dunkirk, the Bergmann design crossed the channel, got a british accent and became the Lanchester.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lucky collector shooting his Bergmann MP 35, Piedmont, AL, Dec 1st.

You can see the detail of the peculiar cocking lever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The BMP 32 slightly modified became the MP 34 then the MP 35 above, produced in Denmark and later adopted by the german police and many paramilitary organisations in Germany.
Bergmann never had the capacity to produce his weapons in its own workshops anymore and they were produced by other famous manufacturers like Walther.
The Mitraillette 34 as adopted by Belgium is the Bergmann BMP and not the MP 34 below

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The MP 34 was designed by Louis Stange, a name associated with the MG 34 and the FG 42 , two milestones in the history of small arms.
It was licensed to Solothurn in Switzerland because of the Treaty of Versailles and later made by Steyr (Solothurn) in Austria.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lanchester was a direct copy of the MP 28, the bolt could interchange and the magazine were interchangeable with a slight modification.
The 50 rounds mcapacity was required in order to have some "anti airacraft" capability, the British could not not forget Dunkirk where they had not enough air cover.

Like all the SMG of this era, the Lanchester was very expensive to produce and its production was time consuming.

The StEn replaced it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long Branch arsenal, Canada, 1942.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paris, August 1944

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Except the Chauchat, was there another weapon so despised for unjustified reason?

but most of the fighters liked their Sten.

Ode to a Sten Gun
By Gunner. S.N. Teed

You wicked piece of vicious tin!
Call you a gun? Don't make me grin.
You're just a bloated piece of pipe.
You couldn't hit a hunk of tripe.
But when you're with me in the night,
I'll tell you pal, you're just alright!

Each day I wipe you free of dirt.
Your dratted corners tear my shirt.
I cuss at you and call you names,
You're much more trouble than my dames.
But boy, do I love to hear you yammer
When you 're spitting lead in a business manner.

You conceited pile of salvage junk.
I think this prowess talk is bunk.
Yet if I want a wall of lead
Thrown at some Jerry's head
It is to you I raise my hat;
You're a damn good pal...
You silly gat!

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Paris, August 1944

Ed, is that a picture of you as a youngster?

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, you want me to kick yer butt?

This is me now

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike_elmer:
quote:
Paris, August 1944

Ed, is that a picture of you as a youngster?

I hope the LT's .45 doesn't go off in this staged photo! Wink

PS - The "Sten" was a pretty good inexpensive sub-gun!

PPS - Notice the cigarette in the LT's "map hand"?!! Wink

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup! this picture was taken during the combats in Paris,August 1944, it was a staged picture. it is used on the Springfield Armory site, they photoshopped away the french resistant.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup! this picture was taken during the combats in Paris,August 1944, it was a staged picture. it is used on the Springfield Armory site, they photoshopped away the french resistant.

Ed, did you see the cigarette in the LT's map hand?!!! He's just TOO COOL! Wink

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of american NFA shooters enjoying their Sten.
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=pwUSe0SnABA

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
quote:

Ed, did you see the cigarette in the LT's map hand?!!! He's just TOO COOL! Wink

And by the looks of this LT he is also green as grass! I have been told that the Allies learned very early on not to display insignia or markings identifying officers due to the efficiency of the German snipers, instead displaying a slash on the rear of the helmet. This was most likely some REMF pulled out for a photo op because he ‘looked sharp!’ Hope he didn’t get hurt with his pistol! Cool

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope nobody got hurt because of the way he handles his pistol..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OOOPS!

I forgot to post pictures of the peculiar magazine used in the MP 18.1.
this is the Trommel Magazine (TM08) used in the Parabellum artillery pistol.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The magazine needs a special charger to be filled.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some more informations about the austrian Steyr MP 34 ö?

Here is the logo of Portugal on one of those delivered in 1942.