Find
Notify
Tools

.30-40 Krag: Safe Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Just relieved a fellow AR member of a Krag Carbine. I have zero experience with this model. Are factory loads safe to shoot in the rifle (assuming of course that the rifle is in good working order)? For example, the 180 grain Remington ammo? Thanks for the help.

Mike

Posts: 21181 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might have the bolt checked [magnetic particle or die penetrant] for cracks around the lug. The pressures are about 40,000 lbs so take it easy ! Factory loads will be OK.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I have an 1898 Calvary Carbine version in excellent shape.. I have to admit of not shooting factory ammo in mine..

As a handloader, I have come to rely on two powders for the Krag... SR 4759 and IMR 4198

both loads are less than max velocity, but I am interested in shooting, while keeping this 110 yr old rifle in good working order and enjoying it... even at 200 yds, it is a tack driver considering open sites, a 110 yr old barrel and my eyes..

I do a load of 25 grains of SR 4759 with about any bullet weight I use... 168 Match, 180 RN and 220 RN are the most common...

With IMR 4198, my charge is 30 grains, with any of the above bullets..

any of the above loads are very accurate to the 200 yds I normally shoot it, it has a Lyman peep site installed on it... and a Redfield front site..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I think you would find it very useful to acquire any one of the older Lyman Ideal Handbooks of #39 or lower.

The #39 is one I used from very early in my loading days. It was published in May, 1953 and is full of both jacketed and cast bullet loads for the older cartridges such as the 30-40 Krag, .35 Winchester, and so on.

BTW, it shows 23.0 grains of IMR 4759 to b a maximum recommended charge of IMR 4759 with a CAST 180 grain bullet in the Krag. It would be an even lower charge with a jacketed bullet.
(Those barrels varied a lot in bore diameter, so I would not personally exceed recommended Lyman maximums.)

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input and the replies. I will drag out my "old" (80's vintage) Lyman Manual and see what is in it.

Mike

Posts: 21181 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote