THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MILITARY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Military & Military Surplus    Here's another RARE Colt 1911 variation - w/ both Military & Commercial Slide Marking
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here's another RARE Colt 1911 variation - w/ both Military & Commercial Slide Marking
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
Here's another RARE Colt 1911 variation - w/ both Military & Commercial Slide Markings

Hello All,

I thought to share with you another of my Colt 1911s. This is one is quite rare in that it has both the Military and the Commercial Slide markings. According to Clawson's book (page 170) there was a shortage of slides in Colt's Military production in 1918 in the 340,000 serial number range, so Colt brought over slides from Commercial production. These slides had the high-gloss Commercial finish and were already marked with the Commercial stamp, "COLT AUTOMATIC CALIBER 45", so the Military stamp was added. "MODEL OF 1911.U.S. ARMY" These double-stamp slides were high-gloss finish, not the dull War finish of the frame. Overall exterior condition of this pistol is "so-so" well used during WWII, but the inside its still very good. It letters to "Bush Terminal, Brooklyn, NY" which might hint to where it was issued.

Another Forum member wrote; "... part of the Bush Terminal, became part of the United States Army's New York Port of Embarkation. It also had two Army Supply Base piers, so it is a very good chance it went overseas to England as supply cargo. ..."

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2114 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A interesting 1911.

When pistols get used they show it.

That is why I have tried to move all my every day carry guns to stainless steel.

They just show the use a lot less.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote