New
Find
Notify
Tools

P38?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for some expertise on the P38.This one also has a holster dated 44.Looking for some info and maybe a ballpark value.

Posts: 132 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 23 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.co...rms/p38/p38index.htm

P38 prices are like the stock market. I saw 3 at a show last weekend that were under $500.

I'm not sure which ones are rare

Posts: 6355 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
AC44 is made by Walther in 1944, and is the most common one. Yours is in nice shape and looks to be all matching. Prices, as rich said, are all over the place but a collector who really wants a good specimen will pay more. From $500 to $1000, maybe more, maybe less. Trick is finding that collector; young guys have forgot what WW2 was and the market is not what it was a few years ago. And P38s are not rare. Look at the Rock Island Auction results and you will see what they go for.

Posts: 17017 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simpsons Ltd has an AC44 like yours listed for $650. However, it appears to be in much poorer condition than your pistol.

As mentioned, Rock Island Auctions sells a lot of military weapons including the P38. They would be a good source of info.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
has it been refinished?? if not that is one of the best ones i've viewed in quite some time. usually 44 models were pretty rough, lot of history behind the p38. if that is original i would estimate with holster 750-800

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Blue looks original to me. The Russian captures are usually more black and mismatched. This 44 does look rough; look at the milling marks; typical for a Walther 44 dated P38.

Posts: 17017 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in my neck of the woods that would be listed about $850, but waiting on the right buyer.. As mentioned. WWII collectors are simply dying out.. Newer guy's don't want nothing but black & green guns.. I like both..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote