New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1 Garland vs M1 Tanker questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have recently come across an M1 Tanker in 308 Win. I am unfamiliar with these rifles and looking for information. Here are my questions
1) who made these rifles and when were they made.
2) does the 308 Win use the same N block clip as the normal M1
3) are the actions the same
4) are there problems with these rifles
Any further info will be appreciated

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
First, realize that NO Tankers were ever issued by a US Armory; they were just made for testing.
So, look on the receiver and you will see who made it; if it is a GI receiver, it was assembled that way by someone like Federal Ord, and the like. Might be a reweld.
Also Springfield Armory (the one in Geneseo) made them on new receivers.
Yes they use the same clips. They sometimes have a magazine well block but that is not necessary for functioning; only to prevent insertion of a cal .30 clip of ammo.
The receivers are the same.
Problems arise from the 308 conversion; the gas port is much bigger to function; from .079 to about .100 or so.
I have built them but do not like them; much prefer the fun length. Tankers do not need them; we had the M3 SMG. I was in a few tank units.

Posts: 17018 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out www.shuffsparkerizing.com He makes a shortened version he calls the "Mini G". He also talks about the pitfalls and issues with shortened versions commonly know as "Tankers".

Posts: 1128 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The designer was John Garand. No L.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I will stay away from them. Lots of knowledge here. Lots of great people too.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, just get a long one, in 308 if you want. I have built many and they work fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DPCD, I have a question re: those Tanker Garands. I have one, and one part of your very good multi-part answer is of particular interest to me. It has to do with the size of the gas port in the rifle's barrel. When these rifles were converted (the one I have is almost certainly a conversion - .308 from Nat'l Ord El Monte CA) did those doing the conversions leave the ports at the M1 size? If not they would have had to replace the barrel w/a barrel with a smaller gas port, would that be correct? I'm asking because I was wondering if a Schuster valve would be a good idea here.

Posts: 48 | Location: SE USA | Registered: 09 August 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All "Tankers" were/are conversions.

Posts: 77 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 08 September 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craig48:
All "Tankers" were/are conversions.

30/06 converted to .308 with an insert is what he might be talking about.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1575 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, exactly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Schuster valve installed in the rifle, next range date will see if using that to vary how much gas is in the cylinder helps w/the feed problem. Otherwise it might be because that .308 round, which is shorter than the .30-06, has to climb a little more steeply out of the 8-round clip to enter the chamber and might be having some problems on account of that.