Find
Notify
Tools

Solution for old eyes and M1 Garand iron sights
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted
I was issued my first garand in 1952, if memory serves, and shot them in competition for more years than I care to admit. It was with great reluctance, at +/- 70 years of age, I was forced to admit I could no longer see the sights well enough to be proficient in its use and relegated my fine old warhorse to the safe.

Took a while, but a plan slowly emerged to replace the iron sights with some sort of optical sight. Unfortunately no (acceptable to me) sights/mounts were available. First off, I did not wish to make any alterations to the rifle (drill/tap), but when I saw the Burris Fastfire II, the wheels began to turn. The FFII is not much larger than the original rear sight on the garand and the "ears" through which the elevation screw mounts would make no-drill mounting rather simple. The small size made the FFII ideal as it does not interfere w/top loading and clip ejection of the garand. The FFII mounts a tad higher than the original sight, but about the same as a scope on an AR in that I can use a "chin weld" rather than a cheek weld on the stock.

I made a wooden "dummy" base that fit between the ears on the receiver and took it and a FFII to a gunsmith friend and a few weeks later picked up the finished product.

The base block pivots on two screws turned to fit holes in the "ears" and is locked at desired angle to achieve elevation zero by two small allen screws, one in front of and one behind the mounting screws:

With sight mounted:

Took it to the range last week, but didn't have sufficient elevation adjustment on the sight and did not have correct size allen wrench to adjust the base, so ended up w/it sighted 6" high at 100 . The only thing I would change in the mount is to use a larger allen screw for elevation adjustment and perhaps drill holes so that these screws could be adjusted without removing the rail.

Observations so far is that my 75 year old eyes still aren't what they once were so, with the 4 moa dot and no magnification, I can't expect to shoot up to the capability of this rifle.....

Target on left 10 shots @ 100 yds sitting rapid fire, right hand target 10 shots slow fire @ 100, both shot with original iron sights (a number of years ago ).

.....but it should shoot 4moa and get the old girl out of quarantine. Plan to shoot again next week if something doesn't bend, break rip or tear and we shall see.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Have you considered applying for a patent? There might be a market out there.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
No, craigster, I just wanted to get the old M1 out of the dark.

Interestingly enough, I was just shown the following link; sure wish I had know these guys were making one, it would have been a lot easier (and cheaper) to have bought theirs.

http://m14forum.com/modern-m14...1a-m14-platform.html

Regards,
hm

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hm1996:
No, craigster, I just wanted to get the old M1 out of the dark.

Interestingly enough, I was just shown the following link; sure wish I had know these guys were making one, it would have been a lot easier (and cheaper) to have bought theirs.

http://m14forum.com/modern-m14...1a-m14-platform.html

Regards,
hm

Maybe but you took the bull by the horns and figured it out for yourself. Well Done!

I had to go to a Aimpoint CompM2 red dot on my AR as my eyes are fading as well. I can bang the steel,
14" by 14", at 300m. I love that sound! Big Grin

If I still had my M1A I would definitely be buying one of those DeltaPoints.

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of these with a Burris 2.75x scout scope attached...

http://www.americanrifleman.or...d-scout-scope-mount/

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
Sir;

BobJones Sights makes an insert lens system for NM apertures for M1s, M1As and Ar15s.

The cost is minimal, and with a proper prescription for distance vision, this lens can bring the front sight back into focus.

Of course, this is not a telescopic solution, but rather enables those of us with presbyopia to see the front sight again!

I use such a lens insert in my NM M1, and it enables me to do quite well across the course. Scores went from low 720s to the mid 750s again...

Search for "bobjones sights" and he walks you through the process nicely. Basically, you need a current script for your distance vision, then adjust for the front sight with his insert lens, usually a +.5 diopter lens will resolve your front sight niceley.

Returns many to the HP ranges.

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew cempa:
Sir;

BobJones Sights makes an insert lens system for NM apertures for M1s, M1As and Ar15s.

The cost is minimal, and with a proper prescription for distance vision, this lens can bring the front sight back into focus.

Of course, this is not a telescopic solution, but rather enables those of us with presbyopia to see the front sight again!

I use such a lens insert in my NM M1, and it enables me to do quite well across the course. Scores went from low 720s to the mid 750s again...

Search for "bobjones sights" and he walks you through the process nicely. Basically, you need a current script for your distance vision, then adjust for the front sight with his insert lens, usually a +.5 diopter lens will resolve your front sight niceley.

Returns many to the HP ranges.

Hi, Major!

The lense in rear sight worked for a number of years, but I have "outgrown" it now. thumbdown

Switched to NRA match rifle a number of years ago in order to use the rear lense as it was not allowed in service rifle category at the time. The NRA match rifle also allows use of front aperature sight, which can be used to sharpen up the target by selecting proper size aperature. Between the two, you can extend your match career a number of years. There is even an adapter made that allows use of Lyman front aperature sight on the garand, but that would put you in the Match Rifle category.

Congratulations on getting back to the mid 750's!

Regards,
hm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hm1996,
As a result of you revealing your base for red dot/reflex style sights on Garand/M14 I checked into the HOPCO unit and have one on order to do what you have done. Excellent idea for us older shooters. I also have used the lens in NM hoods for both service rifles as well as the 15's and they do work fine, but need just a bit more help these days. Always good to hear from fellow HM, finally got mine in I believe '99, but Long Range, not XC. Thanks for showing us the concept, very good idea.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
HFD, Congratulations on the HM classification. It is a long pull, but very satisfying when the goal is finally achieved.

I was beginning to have my doubts as I was 60 yrs old when I finally made it. Would get 200 rounds under my belt and then something would bend, break, rip or tear and would have to go back to square one again, all along knowing the clock was catching up.

I think you'll like the Hopco. They did not use the rail which allows for about .400" lower mount. Wish I had thought of that but I doubt I'll go back and revise mine at this time.

When testing yours out, I'd suggest going with an 8" aiming black as the 100 yd reduced xtc targets just don't give enough of a black ring around the 4 moa dot and eye strain sets in after a few rounds.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Regards,
hm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hm1996,
No question it is a "long haul" to get there and stayed in Master rating for the longest time and finally one year things started to click and made it. That magic level of 97.5%+ keeps going away with a bad day at a match. I could not do it today w/ 70 year old eyes, aches and pains, etc., but it was worth it at the time. I still refuse to go the F class route, but glad it is recognized now for it only helps the shooting sports.
As for that 4moa dot in the Burris FastFireII and appropriate black, I know what you mean and
don't know if it will work, but will try 6 o'clock hold under black, sight in accordingly, and see what happens. Most likely will have the set up completed in a week or so and will let you know how it works out.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Delete; trying to replace photobucket picture.

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Delete. Trying to replace photobucket pictures.

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Delete, trying to replace photobucket picture.

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Finally got it in right place.....sorry. ^^^^^^
^^^^^^^SCROLL UP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Talked to a buddy that used to shoot at Camp Perry.Seems that a few years ago they changed the rules on the standard rifle comp. Now they allow 4X scopes to compete against the apeture sight group.That is not fair.Apples for apples. Set up a new category if need be.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote