New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most Valuable military rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not exactly a rifle but as in horseshoes, hand grenades and nuclear weapons if you get close....

Courtesy of Herman Goring...

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
The first Chinese Match lock ever to fire gunpowder comes to mind !. If it's the first it's priceless .IMO . Who says all Chinese stuff are Junk !.

My second choice would be a SAA Colt after all it won the west didn't it ?. Least wise Sam Colt made it seem that way or did he just make Men equal !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Maybe you should keep posting in the political forum. Chinese did not design any matchlock after they invented gunpowder.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of doctorxring
posted Hide Post
If you mean, "what rifle I would pay the most
for", it would be this one.

The K98 sniper rifle that Audie Murphy personally
captured from a German sniper he deleted. This was one of a half dozen snipers he capped. Most with an M-1 carbine. I would pay more for the carbine, but I don't think anyone knows where it is.

This is a pic of Audie Murphy showing the rifle
to his sister Nadine.

dxr

Happiness is a tight group

Posts: 1524 | Location: Don't Mess With Texas | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doctorxring:
If you mean, "what rifle I would pay the most
for", it would be this one.

The K98 sniper rifle that Audie Murphy personally
captured from a German sniper he deleted. This was one of a half dozen snipers he capped. Most with an M-1 carbine. I would pay more for the carbine, but I don't think anyone knows where it is.

This is a pic of Audie Murphy showing the rifle
to his sister Nadine.

dxr

Anyone besides me wondering why you would have a bayonette on a sniper rifle????? bewildered

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes very useful to stabilize and dampen the barrel harmonics. My Mosin Nagant was much more accurate with bayonet extended, my MAS 36/51 with grenade launcher out etc..

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
Can't state the value as it is the only one that exists if correct - and that cannot be proven - but the Atlanta Historical society has an Enfield sniper rifle that is believed to be the rifle used to shoot Gen. Sedgewick: "MG John Sedgewick, commander of the Sixth Corps, Army of The Potomac was killed by a Confederate sharpshooter on May 9, 1864. He had just admonished a soldier who was dodging bullets with the statement, "Why, what are you dodging for ? They could not hit an elephant at that distance." Seconds later he was dead, shot through the head by one of the sharpshooters whose aim he had derided."
Allegedly, the sniper shot him from something like 900 yds! And no, this cannot be conclusively proven to be THE rifle but all circumstantial evidence points out that it is. So, how would you put a value on such a piece of history. I don’t know the answer to that but I do know that such a rifle, Whitworth Rifle No. C529, was sold at auction in October 2002 for US$72900.00. I am sure this one, should it ever be sold, would bring much more.
I firmly believe that any rifle with a confirmed & documented history would be worth more than one taken ‘off the rack.’ I have no idea where the old Sharps used to make the incredible shot at the battle of Adobe Wells might be or even if it still exists but I would think it would be worth a lot of money. And again, how would you determine the worth of such a piece short of actually auctioning it and seeing what the market would bear?

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've read that the Mosin Nagant was designed to be fired with the bayonet on it or extended. That comes as not surprised that your's is more accurate that way.

Long time back at one of the places I've worked a fellow worker had an old book printed in late 1800's where the author toured the country in search of Civil war veterans where he wrote their stories. One such story was of a good shot Union soldier who killed the Confederate cannon rammer of a distance of 2200 yards. Another of a Union officer, on horseback, killed a Confederate, also on horseback, at 450 yards with his 1860 Colt. This gentlemen did confess he was aiming at the horse...or you might say..the whole mass.

With Edmond posting pictures of those little submachineguns with bayonets on them, nothing surprises me anymore what you may find one on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For accuracy an 03A4 Sniper Rifle very accurate .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The military rifle I'd personally most like to have is an original Witworth sniper rifle, but I suppose I'd settle for one of the Navy Arms replicas

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the Hickok Museum in Cody WY I saw an original Henry Yellowboy on display that had been given to an indian chief I estimated value a bit low but another collector looked at it and estimated the value at very high 6 figures plus maybe over a million.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5 Swede snipers rifles are every bit as accurate as the 03A4

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to have Captain Thomas Custer's M1873 Officer's Model he had at the Little Bighorn.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote