Milsurp 1911s from the CMP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have been saying for years that this would never happen; guess I was wrong, this one time.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I would buy a newly manufactured one before one of these. Unless one could get one at a greatly reduced price.

Most likely better machining, better metal, better fit, better sites among others things that make a newer 1911 a better firearm.

As one needs to jump through more steps then just going down to your local FFL and buying one.

The NDAA directs the CMP to acquire an FFL, and the GCA requires qualified purchasers to only obtain handguns from FFLs in their state of residence. Again, the details on how this will work have not been established.

I am very glad they are selling them.

But I see no advantage.

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I am not standing in line for one and don't want one. Every unit I was in, in the Army had hundreds of them (Tankers all carried pistols). So I have seen at least a thousand of them; none will have much finish left as they were all thinly parkerized and it wears off quickly. And they will be mixed parts; either from rebuild, or from soldiers mixing them up. But they are real, WW2, 1911 pistols, as issued. Might be some new condition (doubt if any are all original parts) ones stuck in the depot somewhere, but those will be auctioned off. Even the rack grades won't be cheap.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And being genuine US milsurps, they will probably soon become "collectable", and yes, not cheap.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would say good news for the CMP for they are running low on the Garands and this will help pay the light bill.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I heard about this the day Obozo signed it. Can't believe he did it. But the law as I understand it says "may sell" not "shall sell" so these pistols getting to the CMP before he is out of office is a dream.

And the scuttlebutt is that they will be going for around $1000 to $1500 for a worn out beater. Anything marked Union Switch & Signal, or Singer is gonna go for ridiculous money.

For that price, I'd just assume go out and bu a SIG match target.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am still shooting my dad's Ithaca 1911 bought from DCM thru the NRA back in the late 50's I believe. I think the price was something like 18$. Of course the pistol has been modified a bit but the barrel is still the original and it functions flawlessly. I shot plates all last summer with it. So what is the inflation rate between the late 50's and now, 10 or 15:1? I would buy one for 250 or so!
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They'll sell at whatever price point. The CMP is not a commercial enterprise but a self-funded govt corp that uses proceeds from sales to a) promote firearm safety and marksmanship training/competition, b)invest in itself for perpetuity so it can continue to do a) above.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO the CMP does an excellent job. I bought a Garand many years ago at a decent price. The simple fact is that Garands and M1 Carbines, and presumably 1911's, are getting scarce and therefore command a fairly stiff price. I bought a case of 22lr ammo from them some time ago. Not true target competition stuff, but good enough for 25 yard practice.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote