New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser K98 Bolt Question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Starting to restore a Capture Mauser K98 that is in good shape to begin with.
All the metal parts--Barrel, Receiver, bands, etc. are in great shape.
A question about the Bolt. Is all of the Bolt Blued or just the Handle and Bolt Sleeve with the rest of the bolt shiny steel.
Trying to restore as close as possible.

Thanks for any feedback.

MauserK98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only blued. I have one, 1938 Oberndorf. With the army's arsenals. This weapon was not for a collection - the numbers on the different parts. But they are not subjected to any refining, so only blued.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling you do not have a K98, but rather a Karabiner 98k. Meaning Carbine, 98 kurz (short). And marked; Mod 98. Made from 1934 to 1945 by several makers. Commonly called "98k" by collectors.
Now, if you really do have a K98, then you have a Polish 98 Carbine. If you have a rlfle marked Kar 98, then you have a German 98a carbine.
I suspect you have (you mentioned "capture") a Kar 98k that was captured by the Russians and then sold as imports here in the US.
All bolts on the 98k, K98, and Kar 98, are blued; never polished.

Posts: 17070 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I hear, most of the Mausers, caught in the USA is a mobilization reserves of the Bundeswehr. They cleaned warehouses somewhere in the 80-ies. Trophy rifle with Russian warehouses were not in very good condition, their parts were mixed up during maintenance work. Indeed, Polish and Czech Mausers were very good, but they are few. The Czechs did of them hunting rifles, for example CZ-550

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, most of the recent imports were re-blued and mixed parts. That is why I only touch WW2 vet bring backs.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I had my FFL when Reagen was in office + the soviets went out of business. We were importing new 98's still in the cosmoline for $150.00 ea. Lugers w/ all matching serial #'s for $3oo.oo ea.Thats when the Russians were selling everything;including their women.Sold them all of course (the guns)at the time much to my regret.In answer to your question somewhat,all these rifles(not carbines) had a totally polished (not blued) bolt body,cocking shroud,+ handle.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the german mauser should have a blued bolt with the handle in the white.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
WWII K98K's had the bolt completely blued, like seen on this Gustloff 41

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b0400879
posted Hide Post
Where did you hear this BS?

quote:
Originally posted by coyo:
the german mauser should have a blued bolt with the handle in the white.

Posts: 86 | Location: Seychelles | Registered: 04 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is absolutely wrong. ALL Kar 98k rifles have blued or phosphated for late ones, bolts, handle included.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What the two above say.

It's logic anyway...who would have a bright, white metal, shiny bolt on a military weapon?

But you will see all white bodies and handles on bolts on commercial post war sporting re-works of the K98k.

Usually because the bolt is easier, cheaper, quicker to polish the whole lot white after the "J" handle has been replaced and/or bent than to re-black.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All Russian Mosin rifles have bright bolts; they operate smoother than blued bolts.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Swedish M96's bolt was left in the white.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All German Army Mausers (Gewehr 98s) were made with not only bright bolts, but bright receivers as well, until the advent of the Kar 98k in 1934. And all (that I can think of) Mausers made for South America had bright bolts and receivers, made by DWM. Mauser could not make rifles for export as they were contractually committed to Turkey.