New
Find
Notify
Tools

French Troops in Allaire, New Jersey, WW1
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any idea about the reason behind their presence? Training AEF soldiers before they depart to France? I know many US troops departed from NJ.

Happy Easter to you all!

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
The French knew that the Yanks would be doing the French ladies shortly so in their 'Old World' wisdom they decided to get to N.J. and get their licks in first.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but those look like Springfields stacked there. The Americans did use a lot of French equipment and there were French military personell training them in it's use.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1917-2017

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, there were American units (African American ones?) that were integrated into French formations to the point of wearing their helmets and using their weapons. But this was after they had moved over to the operational theater I had thought.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right,200.000 came with US troops, they were denied combat role in the US Army despite volunteering, the French offered an opportunity they seized and they fought with gallantry.

http://www.militaryhistoryonli...htingforrespect.aspx

http://exhibitions.nypl.org/af...say-world-war-i.html

The number doubled,they were 380.000 in 1918

http://www.slate.fr/story/1173...cisme-troupes-noires

http://www.france24.com/fr/201...ters-afro-americain-

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
In the same area of Allaire is Ft Dix and what become Ft Monmouth. Right after World War 1 the latter became a center for military communication.

My guess would be a contingent of French Troops were there for cross-training with the AEF, probably for communications.

I did come across some current photos of buildings in Allaire that look very similar to the buildings in your photos.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You found the location, indeed! clap

You may be right about communication training, starting 1917 the use of radio became more common in French Forces and clearly a joint training was necessary.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
How about a scene from a set of a 1928 silent movie featuring Gary Cooper called 'Lilac Time'

Rest of the Story: Allaire is a historical 'company town' built in the 19th Century. After the local iron industry faded it went through various owners and is now preserved as a living history site. Contact was made with their historical committee. They confirmed the photo location as Allaire Village. They researched it further and uncovered the movie set connection. Following is the email they sent.

Hi Matt!

We’re both surprised by this one! This photo is actually a scene from a silent film Lilac Time. Through Arthur Brisbane’s (he owned the property at this time) NY connections he allowed the village to be used as a backdrop for silent films in the 1900’s. The older buildings were whitewashed for the filming of this silent movie which dealt with World War 1. So, French soldiers were never actually in the village – just actors portraying soldiers.

However, during WW II the Army did build a “mock” German village on the site (adding some empty facades) to use for training purposes.
13 such training camps were run throughout the area Camp Vail becoming Fort Monmouth and Camp Dix became Fort Dix.

Lots of information is on the 'Net about the movie: It's a World War 1 movie with the plot of dashing-soldier-meets-French-girl

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0019098/

Just goes to show things are not always as they appear.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BRAVO! Good work!