New
Find
Notify
Tools

French soldiers in Afghanistan
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
82nd Airborne Paratrooper Keeps His Head, Saves Another’s in Ambush
By Army Sgt. Timothy Dinneen
Combined Joint Task Force - 82

BAGRAM AIRFIELD, Afghanistan – As a convoy of more than 20 vehicles snaked its way through a creek bed in Tag Ab Valley, Nov. 10, 2007, small-arms and rocket propelled grenade fire interrupted the patrol’s five-day mission of searching for high value targets in Kapisa province.

Spc. Nicholas Colgin, a medic with Bravo Company, Division Special Troops Battalion, 82nd Airborne Division, heard the call for “medic†and responded by running through sporadic enemy fire to a wounded French soldier ultimately saving Sebastien’s life, according to hospital officials.

“All of a sudden, we started taking fire and we would return fire and then it would stop; it would go on like this for more than an hour as the sun went down,†said Colgin.

The convoy was pushing through the intermittent ambushes when Colgin said he noticed a French vehicle passing his coalition Humvee from the trail position moving alongside the lead armored security vehicle.

“They were trying to notify the lead vehicle of an injury, their gunner took a 7.62 round through the helmet,†Colgin, a Chesterfield, Va., native said.

“When the lead vehicle called for a medic, I stopped the Humvee I was driving, hopped out and the (Radio Telephone Operator) in the back (seat) tossed me the aid bag.â€

As the convoy was still under attack from enemy fire, Colgin ran in the open past five vehicles reaching the French vehicle jumping up and down waving his arms screaming “I’m a medic!â€

“I wasn’t thinking much at all when I left the Humvee, I got caught up in the moment,†Colgin recalled. “I did know I had to move fast to help whoever it was.â€

Colgin said the French soldiers didn’t speak English and were surprised at first seeing an American Soldier out in front of their door during an ambush but eventually they let him in.

“I had no idea what his injuries were; he was sprawled out in the back of the vehicle with loose bandages on his head and was unresponsive,†Colgin explained. “I positioned him properly and started treating him and that meant stopping the bleeding.â€

Colgin asked if anyone spoke English in the French vehicle because they were trying to talk to Colgin while he was treating their comrade. When he asked, they pointed to the guy with the bandage on his head.

“It was crazy because I’m trying to help the Soldier and all I hear is French. The gunner would fire off some rounds, pop down to try and talk to me and then pop back up and fire more rounds,†Colgin said. “I’m pretty sure this guy was going to die, I knew we had to get him out fast or he wouldn’t make it.â€

According to Colgin, the French vehicle did not have communications with the coalition vehicles so he stuck his head out one of the gunner’s turrets and began yelling the extent of Sebastien’s injuries to the lead ASV.

“There was so much going on I decided to run back to the commander’s Humvee to give (medical evacuation) information and a (situation report) while avoiding the small-arms fire,†Colgin said. “I then ran back a second time to the French vehicle and gave him an IV and further assessed his injuries. Once I was able to push him with fluids and stop the bleeding he became responsive.â€

Colgin would stay with his patient through the sporadic ambushes, reassuring Sebastien he would be make it while firing his weapon through the gunner’s turret Sebastien occupied. What was normally a 20-minute drive to reach Forward Operating Base Kutschbach took the convoy three hours, according to Colgin.

Sebastien was MEDEVAC’d and diagnosed with a skull fracture and brain swelling. Hospital officials who treated Sebastien said Colgin’s action’s saved his life.

“Simple stuff saved him like stopping the bleeding and pushing fluids,†said Colgin. “The reassuring didn’t hurt either.â€

There was nothing simple about Colgin’s actions that day.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gilles Polin (1er RPIMa) in Afghanistan. He was killed on March, 3 2008 in Sudan.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Edmond, why are some of the soldiers carrying "bullpup" style weapons, ans others seem to be carrying AR15 style weapons?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some units can get other types of weapons than the FA MAS. Commandos Marine have a lot of SIG rifles, as 13eme RDP and some other amphibious units. Many M 16 A2, MP 5, HK 36 K and C are used. Regular units have almost exclusively FA MAS.

Many airborne units are part of the COS (commandement des Operations Speciales) equivalent to the US SOCOM.
1er RPiMa is one of those units. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4bdz2_1er-rpima_extreme

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I've deleted my post as it was not in good taste and on the wrong forum.

Edmund has posted pics of some very good troops and it was in bad form of me to bring some ancient history up.

Posts: 3270 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Schmetterling
posted Hide Post
I don't think the above post has anything to do in this thread, you should post it in the political forum. I think your father did not want to tell you how many german women he screwed for a pack of Camel, some chocolate or a liter of milk. His "respect" must come from these sweet memories.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

"Der Meister betrachtet die Teile mit Mitgefühl, denn er versteht das Ganze." - Tao Te King

Posts: 558 | Location: Colonia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Edmond,
French boys having casual fun in Super Puma .... thumb

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Picture of captain-03
posted Hide Post
Uh??

--------------------------------
MSGUNOWNERS.COM

Posts: 5 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 15 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
French Soldiers....they exist? LOL just picking on the french

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Some great photos, Edmond! Thanks for posting them.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're welcome!

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in ought-87 I had the opportunity to attend Logistics Excercise (LOGEX) with the US Army Reserve, in Ft. Picket, VA. It seems like all the NATO Loggies were there, even the Danish Army has Loggies! Except, apparently, the French! The French sent the leadership of their Rapid Operating Force, combat arms types (I don't believe they thought much of Loggies) and gave biefings on their military. I was very surprised to hear about the lack of medical support that travel with their Combat Arms forces. The French staff seemed to be at LOGEX to coordinate politically, to gain medical support from the US forces. They were almost argumentative, that they had all they wanted from us, all they needed from the US military was medical. I'm happy to see that at least some of it is provided; what a great story about bringing that French trooper back from the brink. I'll bet he has a war story to tell his buddies, and scars to show, years from now.
Shotgun

Posts: 111 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
I would be much happier with these guys either side of me instead of coming at me Wink

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
up

One of Us
posted Hide Post
an insult to the sacrifice of those fallen in Normandy

please sign, forward and tweet. petition to cancel invitation of Putin for DDay in Normandy.

Fascism is resurrected in Russia, it is an insult to the sacrifice of those fallen to defeat fascism.

https://secure.avaaz.org/fr/pe...tion_du_6_J/?avyIIgb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A French Soldier's View of US Soldiers in Afghanistan

the American soldier is a beautiful and worthy heir to those who liberated France

http://www.warriorlodge.com/bl...diers-in-afghanistan

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Looking at those pictures, what makes me laugh in the very saddest of ways is that we think that killing a few thousand people and blowing up a lot of thing that we(the pig knuckles in DC) think those people are going to embrace democracy and get ready to stuff the ballot boxes just like they were living in chitown.

The minute we leave the disbelievers will be killed and it will be business as usual as it has been and will be

And I am truly sad to see that, but ever since barry threw in the flag of truce with a date certain, it has been a waiting game.

Wonder if we took the time and did it right if it could really be done

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Looking at those pictures, what makes me laugh in the very saddest of ways is that we think that killing a few thousand people and blowing up a lot of thing that we(the pig knuckles in DC) think those people are going to embrace democracy and get ready to stuff the ballot boxes just like they were living in chitown.

The minute we leave the disbelievers will be killed and it will be business as usual as it has been and will be

And I am truly sad to see that, but ever since barry threw in the flag of truce with a date certain, it has been a waiting game.

Wonder if we took the time and did it right if it could really be done

The truth, I believe, is that it can't be done right by any group, large or small, other than those who live there permanently. We don't understand local cultures, conditions, players, relatives by blood, aspirations, goals, any of that. So, we couldn't do it right no matter how hard we tried.

Asking any foreign intervener to settle things there is like asking McNamara's college whiz kids to bring piece to Vietnam. We tried that, and did our damndest. I wouldn't call our efforts there an overwhelming success. Would you?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmetterling:
I don't think the above post has anything to do in this thread, you should post it in the political forum. I think your father did not want to tell you how many german women he screwed for a pack of Camel, some chocolate or a liter of milk. His "respect" must come from these sweet memories.

Matt, this poster is Edmond posing under another name.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Could be (Edmund), but that said I had no business trashing up his thread.

Thank you for the good photos and giving us a perspective that perhaps we need to see.

Posts: 3270 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No comment.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see a couple of our Tenth Mountain people helping out .Excellent unit !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They coordinate action with the US counterpart who has French in the same role.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
LOL You Merkins see Legionnaires everywhere when they are less than 8000 in the French Armed Forces. only those with the green berets are FL in the above pictures.

People wear this type of beret in mountain areas for a long time, in Alps or in Pyrenees.

Alpine Troops and Chasseurs ( Light Infantry, Motorised or Mechanised) wear this beret. It protects from the sun in summer and the cold in winter. It was useful in breaking the head shape and kept the face from reflecting the light before helmets were worn and camouflage face paints were used.

The nickname for this beret in french armed forces is "tarte", pie.

The french horn insignia on the beret indicates Chasseurs.

Chasseurs alpins, Alpine troops http://www.alpins.fr/

Chasseurs in action in Afghanistan.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=OldzXXTUg-k

French Aeronavale, Navy pilots

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=XkQagFoQxz8

The chasseurs horn is present on the fourragère as well.