Find
Notify
Tools

French soldiers in Afghanistan
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Pictures from NATO, SHAPE

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I think they should make a civilian version of the little Panhard. Much more fun than a HumVee, and would make a great hunting vehicle.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The French actually have Military personnel ?.

Where did they get them from ?.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you post your sh** in the political forum, Dr Konnard?

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Military-Arms.com
posted Hide Post
Great pics! The Legionaries look cool. My buddy served with some in Kosovo and had a great time with them, he really respects them.

What's up with that black beret that's so freaking huge? What's the story there?

Posts: 7 | Location: Valpo, IN - USA | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Military-Arms.com:
What's up with that black beret that's so freaking huge? What's the story there?

No doubt Edmond will provide accurate information, but I believe they are from a unit called "Chasseurs Alpin" or Alpine Hunters as a literal translation. They're based in Bourg-Saint-Maurice in the Alps and are all skiers and mountaineers as well.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL You Merkins see Legionnaires everywhere when they are less than 8000 in the French Armed Forces. only those with the green berets are FL in the above pictures.

People wear this type of beret in mountain areas for a long time, in Alps or in Pyrenees.

Alpine Troops and Chasseurs ( Light Infantry, Motorised or Mechanised) wear this beret. It protects from the sun in summer and the cold in winter. It was useful in breaking the head shape and kept the face from reflecting the light before helmets were worn and camouflage face paints were used.

The nickname for this beret in french armed forces is "tarte", pie.

The french horn insignia on the beret indicates Chasseurs.

Chasseurs alpins, Alpine troops http://www.alpins.fr/

Chasseurs in action in Afghanistan.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=OldzXXTUg-k

French Aeronavale, Navy pilots

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=XkQagFoQxz8

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've sometimes seen those berets at Gare du Nord although I always thought they were the from around the Bayonne/Pyrennes as I didn't know they were alpine troops. It always looks to me like a big black burnt pizza!

C'est quoi? Dr "K"? "K"onnard? "K"on? "K"aka? "K"onnasse? Edmond arretez! Ce n'est pas bon, mais crevant!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Kretin. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see that some of those soldiers have pretty thick beards. I know the US Army says to shave every day else one's protective mask may not work as well. Is that BS just so we had to shave every day? Wink

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have no beard in Afghanistan you have no respect! It is as simple as that. You will probably find that the ORs (other ranks = enlisted men) have no beards but the officers and warrant officers (master sergeants) have beards.

All the beards will get shaved off on leaving theatre. With certain exceptions which no doubt Edmond will tell use the French Army is clean shaven.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Pictures French Ministry of Defense.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Edmond
Many thanks for the fine pics.
The 1st several pics brought back old memories from my time in, that is a well turned out parade in any Army. The pride always shines thru. I see the FFL contingent wear their White Kepis for the parade is that a standard practise? They wear the green beret for ops tho.
Also a few pictures from the end there is a piture of some Air force security I take it. What is the strange looking weapon that the fellow crouching is carrying..a type of shotgun?

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are welcome, I was sure many here would enjoy these pictures.
This is a Benelli shotgun.
This is standard practice to wear the képi blanc for enlisted men, not for FL NCOs and officers.
For usual service, the green beret is worn. It bears the grenade with seven flames of the Legion for all the units except the 2nd REP, airborne unit.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Excelent pictures, thanks Edmond. I only hope I live long enough to see one of those fine vehicles hit the surplus market here in the States!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Photo op, but I don't see any dust on those uniforms. Big Grin The word here is that Canada will not be renewing it's comitment to the mission, unless certain other Nato members get off their asses and pull their weight in a combat role.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ubuntu
Never confuse the capability of a countries Armed forces with the performance of its Govt/politics. You want to poke fun poke it at the politicians..leave the soldiers out of it!
Here in Canada we have an absolutely kick-ass armed forces.
Up till the conservatives came to power recently this was far from the case.. equipment wise.. NEVER soldier wise.
Now CAF soldiers fight in Afghanistan and we need more ground commitment from the Euro's in actually taking the fight to the Taliban. Not guarding shiny vehicles in the safe zones..but these are political decisions. No soldier should bear the blame for that.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The French have been fighting there even before operations started in 2001. In fact, French have been there right before the Soviets invaded in 1979..

quote:
Several dozen agents belonging to the DGSE and the DRM (France’s foreign and military secret service organisations) are in Afghanistan, where they are cooperating closely with the opposition Northern Alliance, whose recently murdered leader Shah Massud visited Paris in April and agreed to cooperate.

The French secret services have over 20 years experience in Afghanistan. “Since the end of the 1970sâ€, the newspaper Libération writes, “the secret services... were strongly involved in support for the Mudjaheddin against the Soviets. One of the greatest successes of the ‘swimming pool’, the nickname of the DGSE, consisted of the fact that it was the first to announce the Soviet invasion of 1979. French agents, who were infiltrated directly into the country or who used less respectable methods in working under the cover of NGOs [Non Governmental Organisations], know the country far better than their American colleagues.â€

One of Us
posted Hide Post
90 years ago, French Chasseurs Alpins instructed their american brothers in arms to modern warfare.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I shot with the FAMAS assualt rifle in South Africa.

Was not very impressed with it. Had a very good friend that was in the French Special forces.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Edmond, I enjoyed the pictures. Your Country has always have had, and have fine Soldiers.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Edmond,
Has the French press reported any French casualties in Afghanistan?? We in the States have suffered some, one is more than enough, but nothing compared to Iraq in the early days. Much better now, but would not be shocked to see the casualties go up for all involved in the near future for the surge is under way there as others to be announced later I am sure. Many say body count does not equate to how one side is doing or the other, but do not agree with that thought. Frankly it is our goal to kill as many as possible and have no plans on lessening that goal in the forseeable future. Actually we are doing quite well at it these days.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
21 sep 2007 ... A suicide attacker killed a French soldier in Kabul and about 40 Taliban rebels were killed elsewhere in Afghanistan on Friday as bloodshed

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iNO-5_AOsX7mu05M63PjZXpQBEig

3 French soldiers killed in Afghanistan fighting - USATODAY.com

A car bomb possibly targeting a convoy of coalition forces killed three people in the Afghan capital Sunday, while three French soldiers died fighting ...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2006-05-21-afghanistan_x.htm

A French special forces officer was killed Saturday in clashes with Taliban forces in southern Afghanistan,

http://www.rpfrance-otan.org/article.php3?id_article=365

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=qR72-ZBjxzw

In RSA?

Yes.

He worked the French embasy and was called up to go to Afghanistan just after 9.11

He was a WO at the time and we did a lot of IPSC.

The reason why I did not liked the FAMAS was that the working parts are right under you eyes and the gas from the fired shot goes into your eyes.

He was also my best man at my wedding.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny. My best man at my wedding was a 10th SFG officer, a Merkin. Wink

You get accustomised to smoke in the eyes easily. Don't be a pussy.
Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oui! Méfiez-vous du formage à chaud en provenance de la carabine.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny. My best man at my wedding was a 10th SFG officer, a Merkin. Wink

You get accustomised to smoke in the eyes easily. Don't be a pussy.
Big Grin

lol,

Give me my R5 5.56mm and we can rock and roll.

During IPSC 3 gun competitions nobody could catch me with my R5.

Most reliable assault gun I have ever shot.

R5 is based on the Galil from Israel.

6 shots on 3 targets all in the A and C hit area from 25 meters in 2.93 seconds.

Those were the days.

Now I am stuck in civilian clothes and a office :-(

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PFFF! Talk about an El Presidente with a 10mm revolver in less than 7 seconds. Now, that is great. I made a run during a practical course on a TVA range with a Galil, they still remember it. it is so heavy it recoils like a .22 rimfire. stir

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great was my Surprise when I learned that the song "Sarie Marais" is known and that the if I remember correct is sung by the officers cadets.

Sarie Marais is a South African "Afrikaans" Folk Song.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Massari Marie

I

Massari Marie est si loin de mon cœur
Et je crois en son amour
Car c’est entre ses mains que j’ai remis mon bonheur
Et je veux la revoir un jour.

Refrain

Je veux revoir mon vieux Transvaal
Ma ferme au toit de chaume
Où le bon parfum du miel
Et le conifère embaument,
L’air pur et clair comme un cristal.

II

Lorsque j’étais petit je croyais qu’un démon
Viendrait me ravir à ma maison
Mais lorsque je fus grand,
Ce fut une horrible guerre
Qui m’emmena loin de mes terres.

Brought to France by some South African who joined the Legion, one of the first I learned as a Cadet.

Listen to the song here

Edited to add, that's what I thought until today. in fact, it is a french song brought to South Africa by French Huguenots

quote:

Ce chant est connu sous différents titres : Sarie Mares, O Sarie Mares ou encore Massari Marie.
Il date de la guerre des Boers ; ce sont les Afrikaners qui l’entonnaient.
La guerre des Boers opposa les Britanniques aux autochtones Blancs, les Boers, qui s’étaient installés là à partir du XVIIe siècle (Hollandais puis protestants français).

Les Boers étaient généralement des fermiers tandis que les Anglais voulurent, lors de 2e guerre des Boers, leur imposer leur loi et leurs hommes, à cause des mines d’or qui se trouvaient sur leur terre, le Transvaal.

Ce chant aurait été écrit au XVIIIe siècle.

Il est ensuite passé dans le répertoire scout par l’intermédiaire du général Baden-Powell, le fondateur du scoutisme, qui a combattu au Transvaal.

Thierry Bouzard, dans son Anthologie du Chant militaire français rappelle que « les huguenots chassés de France par la révocation de l’Edit de Nantes émigrèrent au Cap. Ils bâtirent leur nouvelle patrie sur cette terre fertile au climat tempéré. Ils lui dédièrent ce chant d’amour et de fidélité. Sarah Marais est un nom courant chez les protestations qui avaient coutume de choisir les prénoms de leurs enfants dans l’Ancien testament. »

Ce chant est l’occasion pour nous d’évoquer le souvenir du colonel Georges de Villebois-Mareuil.

Militaire français appelé à une brillante carrière, ses sentiments nationalistes lui commandent de quitter une armée républicanisée qui tourne le dos au vieil esprit militaire français.

Animé, comme tout bon nationaliste français, de fortes convictions anti-anglaises, il s’engage aux côtés des Boers dans la guerre du même nom. Il y commandera la légion des étrangers. Il est mort au Boshof, le 5 avril 1900, alors qu’il venait d’être nommé général de l’armée des Boers, après que le détachement qu’il commandait eût été encerclé puis exterminé.

Connu du peloton interarme d’Extrême-Orient dès 1946, ce chant est devenu le marche de l’E.M.I.A. en 1970. En voici deux versions assez différentes.

Version n°1 :

1. O Sarie Mares, belle amie d’autrefois
En moi tu demeures vive.
L’amour est plus fort que la vie et que le vent
Qui peut arrêter son élan [tourment].

Je veux te revoir, mon vieux Transvaal
Où le parfum de miel et le conifère embaume
L’air pur comme un cristal

2. O Sarie Mares est si loin de mon cœur
Et je crois en son amour.
Car c’est entre ses bras que j’ai connu le bonheur,
J’irai la revoir un jour.

Refrain.

3. Lorsque j’étais petit je croyais qu’un démon,
Venait me ravir ma maison,
Mais lorsque je fus grand, ce fut une horrible guerre,

Refrain.

Version n°2 :

1. O Sari Mares, entends-tu mon appel,
Le cri d’un ami fidèle ?
Car c’est auprès de toi
Que j’ai connu le bonheur
Et que je vivrai pour toujours.

Que j’irai te revoir, ô mon vieux Transvaal
Où le parfum du miel et des arbres toujours verts
Se mêle au vent de la plaine
Te porte aujourd’hui mon amour.

2. Lorsque j’avais quinze ans, un démon d’aventure
M’emporta loin de ma mère
Et lorsque j’eus vingt ans
Ce fut le feu de la guerre
Qui me retint loin de ma mère.

Refrain.

3. O Sari Mares, entends-tu mon appel,
Le cri d’un ami fidèle ?
Je reviens près de toi
Je t’apporte mon amour
Là-bas, au Transvaal, pour toujours.

Refrain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Massari Marie

I

Massari Marie est si loin de mon cœur
Et je crois en son amour
Car c’est entre ses mains que j’ai remis mon bonheur
Et je veux la revoir un jour.

Refrain

Je veux revoir mon vieux Transvaal
Où le bon parfum du miel
Et le conifère embaument,
L’air pur et clair comme un cristal.

II

Lorsque j’étais petit je croyais qu’un démon
Viendrait me ravir à ma maison
Mais lorsque je fus grand,
Ce fut une horrible guerre

Brought to France by some South African who joined the Legion, one of the first I learned as a Cadet.

Listen to the song here

Edited to add, that's what I thought until today. in fact, it is a french song brought to South Africa by French Huguenots

quote:

Ce chant est connu sous différents titres : Sarie Mares, O Sarie Mares ou encore Massari Marie.
Il date de la guerre des Boers ; ce sont les Afrikaners qui l’entonnaient.
La guerre des Boers opposa les Britanniques aux autochtones Blancs, les Boers, qui s’étaient installés là à partir du XVIIe siècle (Hollandais puis protestants français).

Les Boers étaient généralement des fermiers tandis que les Anglais voulurent, lors de 2e guerre des Boers, leur imposer leur loi et leurs hommes, à cause des mines d’or qui se trouvaient sur leur terre, le Transvaal.

Ce chant aurait été écrit au XVIIIe siècle.

Il est ensuite passé dans le répertoire scout par l’intermédiaire du général Baden-Powell, le fondateur du scoutisme, qui a combattu au Transvaal.

Thierry Bouzard, dans son Anthologie du Chant militaire français rappelle que « les huguenots chassés de France par la révocation de l’Edit de Nantes émigrèrent au Cap. Ils bâtirent leur nouvelle patrie sur cette terre fertile au climat tempéré. Ils lui dédièrent ce chant d’amour et de fidélité. Sarah Marais est un nom courant chez les protestations qui avaient coutume de choisir les prénoms de leurs enfants dans l’Ancien testament. »

Ce chant est l’occasion pour nous d’évoquer le souvenir du colonel Georges de Villebois-Mareuil.

Militaire français appelé à une brillante carrière, ses sentiments nationalistes lui commandent de quitter une armée républicanisée qui tourne le dos au vieil esprit militaire français.

Animé, comme tout bon nationaliste français, de fortes convictions anti-anglaises, il s’engage aux côtés des Boers dans la guerre du même nom. Il y commandera la légion des étrangers. Il est mort au Boshof, le 5 avril 1900, alors qu’il venait d’être nommé général de l’armée des Boers, après que le détachement qu’il commandait eût été encerclé puis exterminé.

Connu du peloton interarme d’Extrême-Orient dès 1946, ce chant est devenu le marche de l’E.M.I.A. en 1970. En voici deux versions assez différentes.

Version n°1 :

1. O Sarie Mares, belle amie d’autrefois
En moi tu demeures vive.
L’amour est plus fort que la vie et que le vent
Qui peut arrêter son élan [tourment].

Je veux te revoir, mon vieux Transvaal
Où le parfum de miel et le conifère embaume
L’air pur comme un cristal

2. O Sarie Mares est si loin de mon cœur
Et je crois en son amour.
Car c’est entre ses bras que j’ai connu le bonheur,
J’irai la revoir un jour.

Refrain.

3. Lorsque j’étais petit je croyais qu’un démon,
Venait me ravir ma maison,
Mais lorsque je fus grand, ce fut une horrible guerre,

Refrain.

Version n°2 :

1. O Sari Mares, entends-tu mon appel,
Le cri d’un ami fidèle ?
Car c’est auprès de toi
Que j’ai connu le bonheur
Et que je vivrai pour toujours.

Que j’irai te revoir, ô mon vieux Transvaal
Se mêle au vent de la plaine
Te porte aujourd’hui mon amour.

2. Lorsque j’avais quinze ans, un démon d’aventure
M’emporta loin de ma mère
Et lorsque j’eus vingt ans
Ce fut le feu de la guerre
Qui me retint loin de ma mère.

Refrain.

3. O Sari Mares, entends-tu mon appel,
Le cri d’un ami fidèle ?
Je reviens près de toi
Je t’apporte mon amour
Là-bas, au Transvaal, pour toujours.

Refrain.

So some of my forefathers brought the song to Africa...

Pitty they have site blocked so I cant listen to the song here in the UAE

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
posted Hide Post