THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MILITARY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Military & Military Surplus    NOT FROM THE CMP - A very interesting PRE-WWI Colt 1911 - ID'd to Capt. A.L. Garwood
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NOT FROM THE CMP - A very interesting PRE-WWI Colt 1911 - ID'd to Capt. A.L. Garwood
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
A very interesting WWI Colt 1911 - ID'd to Capt. A.L.Garwood

Hello All,

I recently acquired an early Colt 1911 that is ID'd to Captain Allen L Garwood. A small engraved Sterling Silver plaque, attached to the upper left grip panel, tells some of his interesting story.

Some of the engraving on the Silver plaque has been worn-away from holster carry, but all the important information still remains. The plaque reads as follows:

PRESENTED TO
A.L.GARWOOD
F
ROM THE MEMBERS OF
TROOP. C 14TH REGT.
N.G.P.

According to National Archive records, Capt. Allen L.Garwood served in the Spanish American War (1898) with Co. C, 14th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry.

Thereafter he was appointed Captain of Company C, 14th Regiment of the National Guard, Pennsylvania. (N.G.P.) Apparently he was much respected by the men of Company C., who presented him with this Colt 1911 pistol upon his leaving the Company in 1914. Then in December of 1915, Garwood was appointed Captain of Co. A, 18th Regiment. (He must not have been as well liked by the men there, because no gifts were given to him from Company A)

Garwood's WWI Registration card was located in the National Archive records, indicating that he served in WWI and likely carried this pistol with him.

Its apparent that this Colt was used very little, retaining most of its original bright blue finish with only minor holster wear in a few spots. (including wear to the silver plaque)

For the last 90+ years the pistol has hung on the family's wall in a display case, which attests to its remarkable preserved condition for a pistol that is 104 years old.

The pictures below don't do it justice because of camera flash reflections from the bright blue finish. The pistol is 100% period correct parts. Overall condition is +95% with excellent bright bore. (there isn't even the typical slide release drag scratch) Grips are a remarkable +99% with only 2 or 3 partially flattened diamonds in the checkering.

A Colt Factory Letter indicated the pistol was delivered to Pennsylvania. And, after Garwood left the Military, it stayed with the family in Pennsylvania, until now.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2099 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the story.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3427 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nice story. I always wonder how a piece of US Government property ended up in the hands of a private citizen after leaving the service. When I see this kind of thing belonging to anyone but a GO. And before they were selling them.
Actually, I do know how.

Posts: 17017 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Nice story. I always wonder how a piece of US Government property ended up in the hands of a private citizen after leaving the service. When I see this kind of thing belonging to anyone but a GO. And before they were selling them.
Actually, I do know how.

If you are implying theft, I believe that would be wrong in the particular case. The pistol was part of a shipment made directly to the State of Pennsylvania. Sidearms could be purchased by individual officers.

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.

Posts: 249 | Location: Montana | Registered: 17 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have not heard of that program. But not saying it was not possible in 1914; there were programs to buy weapons directly from Springfield armory for one example. But I do wonder how the State of PA was selling property given to them by the US Govt for the use of their State forces. The history does say that the buyer is the US Govt.
All the weapons I see, with stories that the owners got them while in the service, usually turn out to be mis appropriated Government Property.
Again, not saying this is the case here.

Posts: 17017 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote