Notify
Tools

Worlds "First" Assualt Rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
I would say the StG43. Why? Because it was the first firearm (that I know of) with the "Assault Rifle" (Sturmgewehr) designation.

The first mass produced "assault rifle" .... the StG44.

i cant belive im gonna say this but...
I agree fully with Daman. the MP44/ aka Sturmgewehr would be my choice as the first true assault rifle.
high cap, SA/FA selectror, carbine length, intermediate round, threaded BBL, ect.

now i gotta go brush my teeth.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrapperP:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Ask the French! Wink http://www.fg42.us/

On this one I have to disagree - the author, French or whatever, states: "The "straight line" layout was also copied widely. An example of a modern weapon evolved from the FG 42 is the American M60" - I can't buy that. If he had said the MG42 then I would concur but the FG42 - no. Stoner, maybe some others, ok - but not the M60.

BTW, Edmond, I finally found the article in the book, "Guns of the World" where in the authors, two Frenchmen, by the by, state the Italian Villar-Perosa was the World's first submachine gun. I'll try and translate the article and post back exactly (?) what they have to say in this regard. Be prepared, they credit the Villar-Perosa, the MP-18 and the Thompson as the source from which all later ubmachine guns were developed. Surprise, surprise. eh?

I overlooked your post, indeed the M60 is derived from the FG42, it would have been better to simply copy the MG42, it would have worked better. There was a copy done in 30/06 in 1944 IIRC.

Some eye candy.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not Edmond but the French 'publically' introduced the FAMAS in June of 1973 - This new 5.56mm bullpup 'Fusil Automatique,'better known as the FA MAS, or FAMAS, was supposedly in work since sometime about 1967. The French have always been rather secretive about their weapons. I saw a 7.62X33 weapon - same as the GI Carbine round - in use by some French Marines ("Troupes de marine") in 1964-65 and I have never yet seen any reference to the arms they were carrying - still would like to know more about them.
Come on, Edmond, réponse, svp.

Looks like I forgot to answer with pictures..

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HiTecPro:
French RSCG 1918, used a cartridge based on .401 Winchester self loading brass modified to accept a 8mm Lebel bullet, was tested and adopted right before the end of WW1.

R stands for Ribeyrolles as in CSRG 1915 for Chauchat Sutter Ribeyrolles Gladiator or RSC 1917/ RSC 1918 for Ribeyrolles Sutter Chauchat.

THe Ribeyrolles 1918 was was Ribeyrolles brain child only.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

On this one I have to disagree - the author, French or whatever, states: "The "straight line" layout was also copied widely. An example of a modern weapon evolved from the FG 42 is the American M60" - I can't buy that. If he had said the MG42 then I would concur but the FG42 - no. Stoner, maybe some others, ok - but not the M60.

But that's the historical truth, my friend

The M60 is a captured prototype using the MG42 belt to feed a modified FG 42 "G" ausfuhrung, "G" version.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
up

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are some that would say that the US M2 30 cal. Carbine is the first "Assault Rifle".

However I would disatree as the 30 cal carbine round was little more powerful that some handgun cartridges.

My vote would have to go with the German Stg44.
It was a cut down rifle cartridge, truly in power and performance between a handgun round and the rifle rounds of the day.

I will also say that after WWII, the Russians were the first, by many years, to grasp the performance qualities of an "Assault Rifle".

Even today, I still think that the 7.62x39 is the best "Assault Rifle" cartridge.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and before I get Tarred and Feathered for my comment on the 7.62x39, let me add that the 5.56/223, and the 7.62x51/308 are 2 of my most favorite cartridges. I do not even now own a 7.62x39...

But I have in the past, and I have shot one quite a bit. Both in the SKS and in an AK47.

It is a very very good Assault Rifle cartridge.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it is. and the 5.45x39 is really even more pleasant to shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 30carbine round is hampered by the Ball projectile used., but it is considerably more powerful than a 357 magnum, so it fits in the power class, but fails on timing because while the M1 Carbine was early enough the STG44 beat the M2 version in timing...

a 110gr soft-point round makes it considerably more useful, every bit comparable to a 357 Magnum.

Golf ball sized exit holes in fox or coyote sized animals

As for the BAR as an "Assault rifle"?, it fails to fit in a catagory for three reasons,
1) a full powered rifle cartridge
2)it is not "select fire" it has two firing modes, "Slow and "Fast"
3)it fires from an open bolt

The BAR is more of a Squad Automatic Weapon or SAW

Oh, and for the record. the Mg42 borrows quite a bit of it's design from the WW1 Lewis gun

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
World's first assault rifle - the Henry lever action in .44 Henry rimfire.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May be The 6.5mm Fedorov Avtomat Model 1916

http://www.dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=1605&lng=E

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vashper:
May be The 6.5mm Fedorov Avtomat Model 1916

http://www.dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=1605&lng=E

I think most historians would go with this one, if you're willing to concede the 6.5 Jap cartridge is an intermediate caliber. Going outside the box, Federov obviously decided it mas more viable than the 7.62x 54.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many made, when and used really ? Nuff said!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a very debatable topic. Fedorov has developed a proprietary rifle cartridge, with capacity for 20% less than the cartridge for Mosin. It was intended for semi-automatic rifles, and machine guns. But at the beginning of the World war, he changed the construction of the rifle, getting the avtomat, and used for it Japanese ammunition Arisaka 6.5x50(51). Their power is even less, it is equal to the power of Kalashnikov rounds. At that time in Russia there were large stocks of these Japanese cartridges. The avtomat Fedorov itself in a small number survived until the Second World war, but our military chiefs in 1930 decided that automatic weapons should be only with a fixed barrel. The avtomat Fedorov has movable barrel.
Here there a lot of pics about rifle and avtomat Fedorov
http://rusforce.org/showthread.php?t=18974

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nah! We Brits got their first!

Or, some say, the Mexicans with the Mondragon. Except our Brit rifle had a twenty round magazine option...so we got their first?

The Farquhar Hill rifle....Google it....

Or check out the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXpgJ4JydN4

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote