New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mil A3 O3
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I find myself in need of a Bone stock preferably A3 O3 Receiver . I purchased a " Complete " in cosmoline A3 with out a receiver .

The Widower who sold it to me " Thinks " one of her boys may have used the " Hunk of Metal " as a fishing weight or something !!!??.

Her husband bought this back in the early or mid fifties , some surplus unissued still packed in cosmoline . The stock has several hand guards has proof acceptance marks stamped into it . It was a Complete weapon just never assembled ?.

Any of you been around long enough to remember if this rings true ? to purchase a unassembled WW1 or 2 Rifle surplus ?. It's got genuine Mil wrap paper Cos grease and is in Mint condition .

Dam kids why couldn't they have used the barrel band as a weight or a hand guard as a float !.
Thanks for any info .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
I find myself in need of a Bone stock preferably A3 O3 Receiver . I purchased a " Complete " in cosmoline A3 with out a receiver .

The Widower who sold it to me " Thinks " one of her boys may have used the " Hunk of Metal " as a fishing weight or something !!!??.

Her husband bought this back in the early or mid fifties , some surplus unissued still packed in cosmoline . The stock has several hand guards has proof acceptance marks stamped into it . It was a Complete weapon just never assembled ?.

Any of you been around long enough to remember if this rings true ? to purchase a unassembled WW1 or 2 Rifle surplus ?. It's got genuine Mil wrap paper Cos grease and is in Mint condition .

Dam kids why couldn't they have used the barrel band as a weight or a hand guard as a float !.
Thanks for any info .

I can't help you with the receiver BUT if you should decide you want to part with the stock and fittings I sure would like to have a crack at buying it?

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:

Thanks for any info .

Check with cmp or do a search.When my GS was alive he customized 03A3's using Smith Corona Barrels which he claimed were the best made.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr K...

Indeed...this is true. I have an Smith Corona A303 that my Dad purchased for me from the back of American Rifleman in 1955...he paid 10$ a piece and bought two rifles for my brother and I...

When I turned 12, he broke out this box with a mass of metal and wood completly coated in some foul grease (which later i learned to be cosmoline)...He had me fetch a half coffee can of kerosene and an old toothbrush...then I spent several hours cleaning my new springfield.
It was fully assembled and I had to take it apart to clean...I remember the green paper it was wrapped in as well...this was in 1968.

Man...does that old cannon shoot...I shot a 1 inch ( measured) 10 shot group at 100 yds using 168 gr match kings and imr 4831 with the original peep sight and blade back in 1972...I have killed several pigs and a couple of deer with her as well.

Good luck finding your receiver. I still love shooting my old smith/corona springfield.

Cheers

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sold my 1903 Remington, mismatched with a Springfield barrel to a friend of mine. I had bedded it and added a receiver sight. First time he had it out with match ammo he shot a 5/8 inch groups with it. I only use to shoot cast out of it and it shot 3/4 inch groups with the cast at the same distance. I had another 1903 Remington that shot the same way and it had a more worn Remington barrel, so I wouldn't say Smith Corona barrels shot the best.

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
Sarco, inc.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last I checked Sarco was OUT and there seems to be NO place I've yet to find who advertises them for sale .

Thanks Everyone I'm still looking and will continue until found . I will then post mission Completed .

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you best bet is to go to gun shows and find an O3A3 that's been "bubba'd. I found one with a chopped barrel, ramp front sight, and cut down stock for $80. Having a spare barrel and stock with metal, I put together a military 03A3.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More than likely this is what I shall be forced to do .

I need to go out of State like NV ID AZ NM UT MT . Because here in Kommyfornia they consider anything butchered a " Premium " priced product .

Ever since the demise of the L A Great Western Americana show at Pomona fair grounds , things went real sour with Gun shows in this wretched excuse for a State !.

The people in the Know now referrer to them as the " Chinese junket show " !.