Find
Notify
Tools

Can Anyone Play "Name that Gat?"
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted
If anyone can play, I have one I would like to put up. And if anyone knows what it is and anything about it, can you tell me how it operated???

Thanks for any info!

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LMG Bergmann MG 15, 1st version. the most popular MG 15 nA ( neuer Art, new version) was air cooled.
Bergmann was the first weapon designer to use aluminium to lighten this class of weapon.

What is funny is that it was first an air cooled light machine gun developped for aircraft use, then converted for ground use with a water jacket before to be converted to air cooling again. a 75 round drum magazine similar to today's C mag was designed for this MG often mistaken with the MG 34 belt container that looks like it.
The MG 15 nA was the model used for the MG 15 made by Rheinmettall right before WW2 for the german bombers firing port MGs with a doubled rate of fire, 1000 rpm instead of 500.
when the Luftwaffe switched to other new MGs, they were used as AA MG but with the aircraft air flow to cool them, it was quickly overheating.

The MG 15 magazine was sometimes used on G43 and K 43 for an increased firepower.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
So, this was the flex gun used on the Ju87 "Stuka," the DO17 "Flying Pencil," etc.? Still a most curious looking piece, clip fed and water cooled initially, correct?
Seems sort of ass-backwrds, no? And finally, was this thing blowback or gas operated? I would guess blow-back by being able to double the rate of fire upwards to 1000 RPM cyclic?

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. Short recoil with a pecular lock. from an idea Theodor Bergmann patended in 1900. He made a prototype in 1910.

WW2 aircraft use

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/weapons-systems-tech/l...guns-topic-6368.html

One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
Edmond! What's with the "Budlight"?!!!

Eric

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin, July 4 1776
Lost once in the shuffle, member since 2000.

Posts: 199 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plinking? Big Grin