one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
German solders discovered

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Interesting article but it again illustrates what a waste of young life it was on both sides in those terrible trenches.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
German solders discovered

Sad and fascinating at the same time. This needs to be preserved for all time.

Hopefully someone will make a documentary about this find so more people can see it.

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
One of the "unidentified military items" is a boot jack.
Very interesting look into the trenches.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be great if some of these soldiers could be identified---for the sake of the families.

My wife's grandmother's brother was in the French army at the beginning of WW1. At the outset of the war his unit was sent to southern Belgium fighting what became known as the "battle of the frontiers'. Just days after the war began he was killed in or near the town of Lobbes but his body never recovered. It would have been wonderful to know where he was buried. His name is still remembered in the family. His sister missed him until her death in the early '90's. These German soldiers are almost certainly remembered by their families as well.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great post. I have looked for photos/ diagrams of sections of the trench fortifications without much luck. I have read "Sniping in France" and " A Rifleman went to War". but the info is scarce. If anyone has a good source or info I would be thankful. Perhaps Edmound would like to comment on the "Trench of Bayonets" near Verdun 1916.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JIm Yackley:
Thanks for the great post. I have looked for photos/ diagrams of sections of the trench fortifications without much luck. I have read "Sniping in France" and " A Rifleman went to War". but the info is scarce. If anyone has a good source or info I would be thankful. Perhaps Edmound would like to comment on the "Trench of Bayonets" near Verdun 1916.

This documentary has many period films of the trenches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T...ar_%28documentary%29

Some of the BBC's docs of WWI have some good info on trench warfare

"The First World War From Above
"The Last Day of WWI"
"The Somme Secret Tunnel Wars"

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The pistol holster they show is for an Artillery Luger (LP-08), complete with the leather straps and socket used to hold it onto the board-type detachable shoulder stock, Also visible is the cleaning rod pocket that runs along the front edge. Incredible that it survived in such good condition! I have to wonder if it still houses an LP-08!!

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With Quote