New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington-Rand
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thought I'd share some photos of a recent find. It's a 1944 Remington Rand that doesn't appear to have been fired much. I've decided to not fire it at all, as much as I want to.

http://i12.photobucket.com/alb...jpg2_zpswaczojrw.jpg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, a fine piece of American history!

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
real nice shooter! Cleanest example I have ever seen!

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do you not want to shoot it? It's worth about $1000 whether you shoot it 400 times or leave it on a pillow. They were made very durable and are reliable, but most are accurate to about 24 " at 50 feet.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, because its in almost unused condition. Its over 70 yeats old and a piece of history. I have a brand new Colt 1911 to shoot, I dont need to put any wear on this one. It's not about monetary value to me, its just about keeping a fine example of a WWII .45 in the condition its in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the time when they are in that condition they have been refinished some where along in there life.

Very few military guns have not been refinished at least once.

Posts: 19353 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy, I hope not. I'll have a gunsmith I know that has a lot of experience with military weapons look at it and see if he can spot whether it's been refinished or not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Dads Remington-Rand that he carried as an aircrew gun. He had it nickle plated for use in the Pacific.

Its good for about 2"@50ft.

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice. I've got one almost as nice that I inherited from my father in law, I've shot it several times and won't hesitate to continue, but that's a personal choice. In my mind, unless exceedingly rare or fragile, guns are made to shoot.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think it's worth considerably more than $1,000.00 in that condition.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures xseabee! I shot a couple of Remington-Rand 1911A1s when I was a young tanker in the Army, maybe an Ithaca too.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I have one just as nice. I took it to a dealer friend of mine who is very knowledgeable on them and he appraised it at $1800. I watched him sell one just as nice for that price while we were talking. Mine was cherry picked by an Uncle in WW2(AAF). I would have it looked at for value, and like you, I don't feel the need to shoot it much anymore.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re-finish, IMHO, not "green" enough for a Remington Rand which, all the ones I ever saw, weren't that "too grey" shade.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is a rework, I somewhat suspect it is.. Then the Re work stamps would be on the other side on frame wouldn't it??

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it were me and I wanted a shooter. I would sell for the best price and buy a much better stainless Ruger 1911 if I wanted a 1911. for half the price

and have money left over

Posts: 19353 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote