Notify
Tools

86000 Grands going up for sale.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I wonder if they well be as over priced as the 1911's

http://www.freerepublic.com/fo...f-chat/3654513/posts

The military of the Philippines had warehouses full of vintage M1 rifles. Getting them back to the U.S. was an epic struggle.

The Garand Collector’s Association, which has been helping the Civilian Marksmanship Program inventory and classify a literal shipload of repatriated M1s, produced the above video chronicling the return to the states of some 86,000 Garands loaned to the Philippines over the years. Fighting poor storage, threats of critters and hazardous materials, the CMP invested millions in cleaning the guns, packing and sending them via truck, train and ship back to Alabama.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I doubt it. They aren't concealable (no folding stock), they don't accept detachable magazines, they are wood-stocked, and haven't been stigmatized by the anti-gunners (yet).

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Everyone should have at least one of what George S. Patton described as the greatest battlefield weapon ever designed.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seeing as they are CMP, not likely to benefit us. Otherwise we could trade for some cheap SKS. Smiler

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
make it some Norinco m-14's and you got a deal.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The info I have is that they are in poor condition due to being stored in 100% humidity for many years.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
The info I have is that they are in poor condition due to being stored in 100% humidity for many years.

I seriously doubt that. Please share your source.

similar comments were made about Korean garands.. the good ones came in thru the CPM, the junk came in via Blue Sky and others.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

I seriously doubt that. Please share your source.

similar comments were made about Korean garands.. the good ones came in thru the CPM, the junk came in via Blue Sky and others.

I must have lucked out. I bought a Blue Sky in the late 80s, think I paid $350 (+/-). It's not junk.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote