New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name dat Gat!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I thought I'd start a little military firearm recognition "brain teaser" type quizz.

Name dis Gat (gun).

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
Interesting!
The US NAvy had [has?] a similar set of weapons, one of which was the "Hush Puppy."
<><><><><><><><><><>
"During the Vietnam conflict, the US navy sponsored development of the silenced pistol for use by its SEAL teams. Nicknamed the hush-puppy because of its intended function of killing enemy watch dogs, this modified version of the steel framed Smith & Wesson model 39 pistol was put to other clandestine used as well. Called the mark 22, mod. O pistol by the navy, the hush puppy had a slide lock to keep the mechanism closed and silent while firing. It fired a special green tipped 9mm parabellum projectile weighting 10.2 grams (158 grains that yielded a muzzle velocity of 274m.p.s. (900 f.p.s), below the speed of sound. Use of standard supersonic ammunition quickly degrades the effectiveness of the silencer insert. With subsonic ammunition, an insert is good for about 30 rounds; with standard velocity cartridges the insert may have to be replaced after six shots. Official navy designation for the silencer is mark 3, mod.0 . Ammunition and replacement silencer parts are supplied as accessory kit MK26, Mod.0. Each accessory kit includes 24 9mm pistol cartridges MK144, mod.0 and one silencer tube insert.
All the work on the model 39 hush-puppy was carried out by Smith & Wesson before the end of 1968. Subsequently, Smith & Wesson provided two prototype 13-shot pistols made from stainless steel. These weapons were improved to overcome problems such as extractor breakages, which had been experwnced with the model 39. This modified pistol in a slightly different form as later commercially marketed as the model 59 Smith & Wesson 9mm parabellum pistol.

Combination over all length 12 ¾ inch
Total weight with out magazine 34 oz

WOX-1A silencer
Over all length 5â€
Total weight 8oz

WOX-13A pmm pistol
Over all length 8 ½â€
Total weight with out magazine 26 oz

WOX-13A pmm pistol and WOX-1A silencer
Combination over all length 12 ¾ inch
Total weight with out magazine 34 oz

"Small Arms of the World"
Page 175 –177
By Edward Clinton Ezell
Publisher: Stackpole Books; 12th Rev edition (December 1983)

---------
I don't have a scanner set up to print pictures. Here is the only one I can find online:

Also have been told the Navy used a Ruger .22LR set up with a silencer but I never saw one - think it may have arrived after I was long gone.
I find it remarkable how similar were these developments by different nations, all seeking the same end. Wonder what is the 'latest, greatest' on the scene today?

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a Ruger but a High Standard Supermatic if I remember correctly.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Correct, Ed! thumb

It's an AS Val designed for the 9x39mm Russian subsonic rifle rounds.

I see that I'm going to make this more difficult! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK....name dis gat!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
British Thorneycroft carbine, designed for cavalry use around 1900, rejected because of impractical handling and excessive recoil. Springfield Armory butchered a 1903 to test the concept, too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn it, Ed! Right again! Wink

You must be a graduate of the "Michael Yon Academy of Weapons and Ordnance Recognition". Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My turn, easy one!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
My turn, easy one!

NO, Ed! That one WASN'T EASY!!!!! Eeker

But I finally figured it out! dancing

I'm not up on the older stuff! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easy since I post it LOL I must agree that 99% of french shooters don't even know it.