New
Find
Notify
Tools

Velocity of .223 from 7.5 inch AR-15?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am curious about how much velocity is lost in one of the little DPMS Kitty Kat uppers, as compared to a standard 16 inch upper.

Kitty Kat 7.5 inch:

A4 16 inch:

[/URL]

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that classified as a pistol? A rifle with that short a barrel would be illegal.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I chronographed 4 different uppers ( sorry I work in metric)

24" 975 m/s
20" 950 m/s
16" 840 m/s
10" 760 m/s

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
Is that classified as a pistol? A rifle with that short a barrel would be illegal.

Not illegal, just needs to be registered under the NFA as a short barreled rifle. Takes about 6 weeks to get done and costs $200. Police can use short barreled rifles without registration.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Years ago, I chronographed 4 different uppers ( sorry I work in metric)

24" 975 m/s
20" 950 m/s
16" 840 m/s
10" 760 m/s

Thank you Edmond! I wonder if the velocity drop from 10 inches to 7.5 will be more severe. ??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cut a barrel inch by inch and found out that 10 to 11" is the minimum length for the powder to burn correctly. with this length, there is a huge ball of fire that can be tamed by a Vortex flash suppressor, my second choice being a flash supressor used in VN around 67 with ANPVS sight and the third a Fabian Bros DTA Mil Brake.

I tested one DPMS Kitty Kat, it is much too short and in order to cycle correctly with such a short barrel the gas port hole is quite big.

There is a huge stress on the gun and it's fouled quite quickly. it is awfully noisy.

I did not chrono it.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even an 11.5" M16 is loud! You can feel the blast on your face as well. The only shoulder fired weapon I've shot that's a load louder is a short M60.

I can't even imagine the noise a 7.5" gun makes.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:

I can't even imagine the noise a 7.5" gun makes.

So it would not be fun to shoot one inside of a car without hearing protection? Wink Smiler