New
Find
Notify
Tools

FA MAS in action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
FA MAS stands for Fusil Automatique Manufacture d'Armes de Saint Etienne.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Military-Arms.com
posted Hide Post
I wish I had bought one back in the early 90's. Back then they were $4k and I had a line on one. Turns out the dealer screwed me over, took my money and never delivered the gun. It took me 3 months with the help of the ATF to get my money back.

Oh well... I tried. Now I get to look at them in pictures.

Posts: 7 | Location: Valpo, IN - USA | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the ban came into effect, two of my american friends tried to get one, the 100 pieces already imported were sold within two hours that night.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that it is a terrible rifle! Sorry! But probably, at least, being a product of France, better made than the SA80 which is an awful rifle!

What a useless thing...SA80 too...to inflict on a soldier. Almost the story of the French Army. Elan and panache but poorly designed long arms.

How can the nation that gave the world "Balle D" equip it soldiers with this travesty of a battle rifle? No doubt the same way the nation that gave its men the SMLE and No4 can give them SA80!

Like all bullpups, although I've only shot a FAMAS once it has a terrible balance and I think would be a poor melee weapon. A real risk - as with the SA80 which killed a soldier in training - of shooting oneself if executing a buttstroke following a left parry.

Also too many projections for an opponet to get a hold of. I can't see the point of the long carry handle, and it can't be fired off the left shoulder around cover. Just as the SA80 cannot.

And again.like all bullpups lethal to the user if having to change magazines whilst in the prone position and under fire having to take one eyes off the target and raise ones body and generally excessively move around and reveal ones position.

It's terrible. Sorry! There is only one advantage...like the SA80...it will easily fit in the "poubelle" (dustbin/trash can) when you have the chance to throw it away and get a proper rifle.

With the exception of the Austrian Steyr rubbish everybody else does it better because they don't do "bullpup"...Colt M16, Beretta, Sig, HK.

A measure of how bad the FAMAS and the SA80 are is that, AFAIK, nobody else that has a choice of what their armed forces use has purchased it. The SA80? Used in Jamaica but only because we gave them some for free...and where the individual there has a choice they choose the M16.

How much does it weigh? SA80 is far too heavy!

Now I did have a MAB P-15 and that was good! So is my easy-opener Fusil Robust E28 16 Bore.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You probably did not have to carry your MAB P 15 a whole day, not even one...And you never had fun like being in an armoured personal carrier with a rifle, doing house clearing with a rifle, lauching AP grenades with a rifle.
With an overall length equal to a M4 carbine, the barrel is equal to the M16 A2 barrel. it has been proven in combat in desert like in Chad, Iraq and other african countries as well as in jungle. It works at minus 30°C.
It is accurate up to 600 m and newly trained soldiers hit with 90% rate the first times they handle it. It is reliable.
Its three point combat sling has been copied everywhere.
And I like its shape because of its design and because you immediately ID friend or foes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
You probably did not have to carry your MAB P 15 a whole day, not even one...

Correct. I carried a Browning Hi-Power all day. It was easier to get in and out a Chieftan tank than carrying an L1A1 SLR.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
I think that it is a terrible rifle! Sorry! But probably, at least, being a product of France, better made than the SA80 which is an awful rifle!

What a useless thing...SA80 too...to inflict on a soldier. Almost the story of the French Army. Elan and panache but poorly designed long arms.

How can the nation that gave the world "Balle D" equip it soldiers with this travesty of a battle rifle? No doubt the same way the nation that gave its men the SMLE and No4 can give them SA80!

Like all bullpups, although I've only shot a FAMAS once it has a terrible balance and I think would be a poor melee weapon. A real risk - as with the SA80 which killed a soldier in training - of shooting oneself if executing a buttstroke following a left parry.

Also too many projections for an opponet to get a hold of. I can't see the point of the long carry handle, and it can't be fired off the left shoulder around cover. Just as the SA80 cannot.

And again.like all bullpups lethal to the user if having to change magazines whilst in the prone position and under fire having to take one eyes off the target and raise ones body and generally excessively move around and reveal ones position.

It's terrible. Sorry! There is only one advantage...like the SA80...it will easily fit in the "poubelle" (dustbin/trash can) when you have the chance to throw it away and get a proper rifle.

With the exception of the Austrian Steyr rubbish everybody else does it better because they don't do "bullpup"...Colt M16, Beretta, Sig, HK.

A measure of how bad the FAMAS and the SA80 are is that, AFAIK, nobody else that has a choice of what their armed forces use has purchased it. The SA80? Used in Jamaica but only because we gave them some for free...and where the individual there has a choice they choose the M16.

How much does it weigh? SA80 is far too heavy!

Now I did have a MAB P-15 and that was good! So is my easy-opener Fusil Robust E28 16 Bore.

IS there not an old saw about not throwing stones re 'awful' and 'ugly'? Is this - no, can this - be coming from a denizen of the country that gave the world the Sten ["Stench"] gun?? That little bugger had to have held the patent on 'ugly!'

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another ugly reliable weapon with an unjustified reputation.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Edmond, my friend.
I've carried an M-1 and an M-14 all day for days. These cute, and ungodly ugly, plastic toys, shooting goundhog calibers just don't cut it.
Real rifles are 30 caliber, have wooden stocks and are heavy.

Jim

PS
Now days I play with an AR10 carbine. Plastic, yes, but 30 caliber.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin I started with carrying a MAS 49/56 or an AA52, I can understand. but it was wonderful when I carried something lighter like a MAT 49, the FA MAS was entering service.

Pictures of the silent grenade launcher used by the French.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An honor guard from the French army's 6th Battalion stands at attention as they await the arrival of Lt. Gen. Khalid Bin Sultan Bin Abdul Aziz,
commander of Joint Forces in Saudi Arabia, during Operation Desert Shield.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Underwhelming

A well known gunsmith once said when worse military rifles are made, they will be made by the French and Italians.

Now tell us all about the Chauchat, the MAS 36, the Lebel and the Berthier.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Expecting an answer? Crawl back below your rock. coffee

one of us
posted Hide Post
A quick question, out of curiosity, are there any left handed service rifles / carbines?

I have a vague recollection that

1) some of the AKs can be shot left handed because of the cartridge ejection port position,

2) the Steyr AUG is a modular system and left hand receivers 'bolts' / 'internal parts' are available and

3) there are left hand receivers etc available for the AR15/M16?- 'Armalite' US type service rifle, produced by a company called 'Stag'.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FA MAS: the user reverses the position of the extractor on the bolt head and positions the cheek piece on the other side of the buttstock, that's all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robthom,
I am not aware of any left hand versions of 15/16 rifles/carbines in use today in U.S. Military. Perhaps special situations, but not the norm. Stag in my area does not have a very high reputation on dependability as far as the left hand version goes. Perhaps a fluke??
Noted the comments on the bullpup design by the French and Brits and thought the latest word from Janes was that both were being scrapped, for sure the Brit version. Do either of these weapons utilize the M16-NATO magazine system?? Do they both use the 5.56mm NATO ammunition??

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FA MAS being scrapped? Sure not. The F1 version is being fitted with a new barrel, the G2 version already has a barrel optimized for the NATO round plus a STANAG magazine. Next step is the FELIN system based on a modified FA MAS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
up

One of Us
posted Hide Post
French army deployed on national territory after Vigipirate (ATO) is elevated to high.

https://www.facebook.com/video...28094&type=2&theater

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Give the guy nice optical sights plus back up irons and holographic , yet he still does the old Pray and Spray. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope. This is the FELIN system, he sees the target on his goggles and on the side of the sight. 10.000 of them have been produced.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what is the need for this FELIN sighting system?

I know that the US played around with remote sighting and eventually decided it was not particularly useful on a rifle.

Given the size of the sight, I can't imagine it is useful for anything except some really specialized roles and probably more police type activity than military. It looks like something a general would dream up and the troops would have to deal with...

I would think it would make the rifle too unwieldy at CQB ranges and it would be too susceptible to being knocked out of alignment for any sort of ranged shooting.

Since you have some contacts with your military, what is the general role for that device?

Posts: 10465 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Urban fighting. and a general's dream. )))

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas

Anti terror patrol in parisian metropolitan, FFL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
French alpine troops, Mount Ingman, Bosnia Herzegovina, Winter 94/95

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Sure, but does it have a spell checker?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The FELIN version only

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post