Find
Notify
Tools

Surplus Grease
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted
Found this at my favorite surplus and junk store in Denver.
1lb can for $.69 and it looks pretty darn nice.
They have a few more cans (I chose the one with the least surface rust)and I would think that to anybody who is into military stuff like this, the can alone is worth much more than that!
I plan to use this generally but am curious what anybody here knows or thinks about using it on firearms.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
GAA is not for firearms; it is the standard grease used on vehicles, wheel bearings, etc, and large caliber weapons; (tank and artillery breeches, etc). Check your lube orders and you will see.
Use CLP on small arms and cannon tubes..
It is just a bit stiff and will gum up small arms parts.
I use a lot of it on wheel bearings on my military vehicles, but really, there are better commercial products out there. Remember, military vehicles are serviced on a periodic basis so grease is more often replaced than we ever do on our cars.

Posts: 17017 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
I guess it will be used for the usual stuff - bicycle bearings, splines etc. Will use some on my Indian.

I remember as a kid we had a 5gal bucket of Shell grease. I know that modern lubricants are much more advanced than those of old, but there was just something that felt good about using the same bucket of grease that my Grandfather bought way back when.
That stuff looked just like caramel and is all I used on my bikes. We had the smoothest riding bikes of any kid in the neighborhood.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I picked up a couple quarts of LAW Mil-L-14107C-AM.2. It is a low temp weapons lube and it has worked well for me as a general purpose gun lube. I am now about out and can no longer find it. The old true U.S.G. surplus store seems to be a thing of the past.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
GAA is the same stuff you had in that 5 gallon bucket; in the 50s we had one on the farm too.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
And for anyone else who ever had the unpleasant chore of getting rid of the cosmoline;you gotta boil it off,or do the gasoline wash. Wiping is a lesson in frustration

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True, but GAA is not cosmoline; it is like regular soft wheel bearing grease.
I use gasoline to remove preservative from my WW2 jeep parts. And gun parts.
Safe and effective. Well, effective; not for everyone. I figure after 50 years of using it, it must be ok.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All non smokers agree with dpcd

Posts: 1065 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
If one feels tobacco necessary,a pinch between lip + gum beats the alternative.Common sense of course,but as we all know,if its sense,its not common + if its common its not sense. Hell,I had a neighbor that fell out of a tree because he was chainsawing the limb off a tree that he was sitting on,outboard.The world is full of idiots + they breed.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote