New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
It is shocking to me to see the pending auction prices for the upcoming Utah Sportsmen's Show fundraiser. This Online Auctions group has recently been quite prolific in publishing and popularizing hunting, fishing and guns!! Take a look at the present bidding on some of these Mule Deer, and Elk hunts' and a UTAH Moose License only now at $16,500, upcoming... this might set (outfitters) expectations of what "average hunters" might pay for hunts these days??!! All I can say is WOW.... NOT ME!!
https://www.onlinehuntingaucti...022.02.09&ec=3644315

470EDDY

Posts: 2557 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread is so disheartening.....I get the soaring costs but availability is the pits too now. I can't find a hunt anywhere for 2022 even after chatting with one of the agents here on AR.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a quote for a BC Moose hunt...yea...no.

Headed back for more Buff...

Posts: 106 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bull Sprig:
This thread is so disheartening.....I get the soaring costs but availability is the pits too now. I can't find a hunt anywhere for 2022 even after chatting with one of the agents here on AR.

I can put you onto a BC and Alberta outfitter. Availability is fine, unless you're talking lower 48; don't know crap about that.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure would appreciate sharing some of your good outfitters!!... that are priced for human consumption!! I am ready to go this season or next!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2557 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
I'm hunting with Mountain Spirit this fall. Reasonable prices.ill see how good they are when I go.

Posts: 385 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Their website says about $1000/day!!

That's not my definition of "reasonable" for a Central BC Moose!!

Central BC and Alberta have been hammered pretty hard by locals....

Interesting this is a woman outfitter. Not many of them out there. I did hunt with Gerry Bracewell with her Son Kevan in the 80s. She was in her 80s and was the first woman licensed in BC. She was a legend, and has written at least one book, maybe 2 by now. Nice area in the Chilcotin... it was a nice horseback ride, camp out...they had a nice log cabin on the mountain...

Good Luck!!

470EDDY

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
I can put you onto a BC and Alberta outfitter. Availability is fine, unless you're talking lower 48; don't know crap about that.[/QUOTE]

Dogleg, we are all holding our breath for your information on BC & AB MOOSE!!

Back to my last comment on $1000/day... there are alot of things I do pay $1000/day for... but NOT Central BC or AB MOOSE hunts. My last and always successful Central AB Moose hunts in the 90s into 2007 were at $333/day... later I have paid $500 and $750 a day and were a DISASTER!!... just a money machine, no Moose!!

I have paid $1000/d for 10day Sheep, unsuccessful, Botswana Cape Buff, SUCCESSFUL, Billfishing in Kona, Hi., Successful, King Salmon Fishing in Queen Charlottes, 4 days Successful, my wife and I have enjoyed hundreds of days on small luxury cruise ships around the globe.

You see millions invested to deliver a $1000/d venue... 7 course meals, all inclusive drinks, or lodges with fishing boat fleets... a different perspective to spend the bucks!!

I won't validate these rates... just like I won't pay a 46% increase in cruise fares after COVID!!

It's NOT THAT I CAN'T, I WON'T!!... we'll go to Palm Springs for the winter!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have paid $1000/d for 10day Sheep, unsuccessful,

That figure for a Stone sheep hunt if hovering around $7000 USD per day for a 10 day sheep hunt now!
I'm sure glad I went when it was $1300 USD per day for a 10 day hunt. Seems pretty cheap nowadays.

Seems hunting has become unreasonably expensive for many species.... but if they can get it...?

Zeke

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
WELL POOP!!

I did all of the homework and after DEMONICAL'S great posts, s,s,s, and referral from Skyline and others, I booked a Swan Hills hunt for second week of October, yes this season.

A couple of weeks ago I started to have some pretty serious walking issues, and severe lower back pain!! WHAT?? I had been trouble free since 2012!! Climbing a 6 foot chain ladder onto an old LT ARMY tug, showing a client, might have set off a fire storm??!!... serious issues, back to Physical Therapy still hoping for this October trip, and our 55th Anniversary celebration cruise....

The boom fell with an MRI this week... more "SEVERE STENOSIS" lower spine...ie calcification of nerve roots that must be carved out, SOON!!...so I don't lose the nerves... I have already lost one...and that is a permanent handicap for a serious hunter!!... DOC says no way!!

I am on the bench... and in alot of pain at night, and difficulty walking...King salmon cancelled, Moose cancelled, 55th Anniversary celebration cruise cancelled...glum winter in the Northwest waiting for surgery and recovery...here's hoping??!!

Thankfully, my fishing partner may take my place, and my outfitter has me penciled in for next season??!!... that said my 80th birthday is in April!!????

I will post Paul's success... mine following!!

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
470EDDY I am so sorry to hear that. That sucks in more ways than one. I hope everything goes well with the surgery and your recovery/rehab.

Take care of yourself first, the moose and salmon will be there next year. Make sure you let me know when you are going under the knife so I can email and pester you during the recovery period. Send you some pictures from northern BC. Wink

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Kelly,
Thanks for your thoughts, I certainly will keep you posted!!

I see the surgeon on Thursday, thankfully...lots of pain, especially trying to sleep!! After COVID, nothing moves quickly in the medical world, and my wife isn't on the inside pulling strings any longer!!

The scary part is my age and wondering how many seasons are ahead of me??!!

Last time the surgery went well and recovery was rapid...here's hopin!!

I am very anxious to hear about your new home and surroundings, really sounds exciting and in an area known for monster Moose... and other great things!!

A good friend has just finished a very disappointing hunt west of Prince George... the Outfitter hunted them in an active fire area!! He got a 31/2year old bull, and one other was taken for 6 guys!! Three other bulls seen and weren't taken??!!...whole thing a goat rope!!... lots of Grouse, and saw a couple Blackies...

CheerZ,

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
Kelly,
Thanks for your thoughts, I certainly will keep you posted!!

I see the surgeon on Thursday, thankfully...lots of pain, especially trying to sleep!! After COVID, nothing moves quickly in the medical world, and my wife isn't on the inside pulling strings any longer!!

The scary part is my age and wondering how many seasons are ahead of me??!!

Last time the surgery went well and recovery was rapid...here's hopin!!

I am very anxious to hear about your new home and surroundings, really sounds exciting and in an area known for monster Moose... and other great things!!

A good friend has just finished a very disappointing hunt west of Prince George... the Outfitter hunted them in an active fire area!! He got a 31/2year old bull, and one other was taken for 6 guys!! Three other bulls seen and weren't taken??!!...whole thing a goat rope!!... lots of Grouse, and saw a couple Blackies...

CheerZ,

Sorry to hear about your friends hunt. Do you know where he was hunting west of PG? Still lots of fires and I was worried that quite a few hunters may be affected by the current situation. Doesn't help during early season as it can be tough enough without the addition of fires that have now been burning for weeks.

Take it easy while you wait for surgery. I will drop you an email.

Cheers,

Kelly

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Kelly,
Bear Lake and west about 40km. Bugle Lake south border. Carp lake north border.
They have had good hunting for years, 4 for 6 normal in there up to last year with very hot weather during the first week... I recall only one moose taken??
Apparently financial issues, so he didn't cancel... something to the affect outfitter is having to supplement hunt cost, even at US$7500/hunter!!
Last year one of the group had purchased a RMEF auction hunt, then the outfitter tacked on a $1000 fuel surcharge!!
He has a $2000 trophy fee on a black bear too...
This year they have to have the meat professionally cut and wrapped with NO BONE, not just NO spinal bones, CWD issue now...
OH Boy!!....

470EDDY