Notify
Tools

Moose
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for information/recommendations on outfitters in Canada. Alaska is out of my price range and I love Canada. I have been a few times but never to hunt.

Any feedback would be much appriciated.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097

Posts: 681 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike, I've hunted moose three times in British Columbia. I was successful each time, always in a different area with a different outfitter. The best area that I've seen is in the north western portion of BC. They had the most moose and they were the largest. My outfitter was Tahltan and I do recommend them.

Hopefully they open their border and I can go on my scheduled hunt in September. Another new area and outfitter.

Posts: 385 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the recommendation Nevada Wapati. I will Google them.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
+44 7930 524 097

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will second Tahltan Outfitters. JB

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on what kind of moose hunt you are after, Newfoundland may be appealing. They have a very dense moose population, lots of remote wild country, friendly people and numerous outfitters. Newfoundland is a very good value for a guided hunt compared to Western or Far Northern Canada, but the moose tend to be smaller in body and antlers not as big. I'm sorry that I cannot recommend a Newfoundland outfitter, since I hunt moose locally here in Saskatchewan and have no need to travel.

Posts: 233 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longwalker:
Depending on what kind of moose hunt you are after, Newfoundland may be appealing. They have a very dense moose population, lots of remote wild country, friendly people and numerous outfitters. Newfoundland is a very good value for a guided hunt compared to Western or Far Northern Canada, but the moose tend to be smaller in body and antlers not as big. I'm sorry that I cannot recommend a Newfoundland outfitter, since I hunt moose locally here in Saskatchewan and have no need to travel.

Thanks Longwalker,

I'm pretty sure I will book with an outfit in Newfoundland. I am in the process of contacting a few.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
+44 7930 524 097

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you want a big moose go northwest for canada,

Posts: 1729 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Once Canada opens I’m gonna try to find hunt across the border from Mt
That way I can bring some meat home plus driving is a plus
Hell, I had the virus and got vaccinated already as well

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine just brought a Ontario fly in camp with 17 moose tags.

The US owners could not handle another year of the travel restrictions.

Sounds like 14 of the hunts are sold for this year.

The camp also did a good fly in fishing business.

Mostly Americans for that last year none looks like the same this year.

Makes me wonder how many resorts are going to go belly up.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
A friend of mine just brought a Ontario fly in camp with 17 moose tags.

The US owners could not handle another year of the travel restrictions.

Sounds like 14 of the hunts are sold for this year.

The camp also did a good fly in fishing business.

Mostly Americans for that last year none looks like the same this year.

Makes me wonder how many resorts are going to go belly up.

Does your buddy have a website site? Looking for a moose hunt in a few years, but want to start planning!

Peter

Posts: 120 | Location: Oshkosh, WI | Registered: 21 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not that I know of I will ask him

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I came back from brown bear hunt in Upper Togiak Lake, Alask, we were unloading my bear from the float plane in Dillingham and two moose racks that measured 69 1/2 and 72" came off another plane Not sure where they hunted but probably with a 100 miles of Dillingham.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:

In Alberta we can get what used to be called a class C guide's license, basically to take friends and families out hunting. I've done it a few times in the past, for buddies from Nebraska, the UK and Australia. if you know someone in Alberta they can probably do something like this for you. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dan belisle:
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:

The friends better be very fast as it is my understanding they sell out really fast.

In Alberta we can get what used to be called a class C guide's license, basically to take friends and families out hunting. I've done it a few times in the past, for buddies from Nebraska, the UK and Australia. if you know someone in Alberta they can probably do something like this for you. - dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you trying to do?

Are you after a 60"+ bull moose?

Are you a bow hunter? Rifle hunter?

Etc...

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
From my perspective having hunted BC and Alberta successfully since 1968... prices are headed for the Moon and success rates falling badly!! My last two hunts, central BC and Northern Alberta, and most expensive, were a complete bust!! One Moose about 38" for party of 4, and the N Alberta fly in camp was 50% over booked, and 4 of 5 ARGOS broken down on day 4 of 10 day hunt!! I did not shoot, and my two partners( both first timers) shot a young bull with palms the size of your hand and the other a big body declining bull... disappointing!!
Since COVID and only local hunting for 2 years I am seeing prices up 25 to 35%...into the high $$teens for Northern hunts!!
These are now Sheep prices of just a few years ago!!
I simply can't justify this kind of pricing!! Not that I can't, I WON'T!!
Frankly, I am now starting to think it is time for North American hunters to start demanding Trophy Fee based hunts??!! IE, base daily rate, and a trophy fee for a successful kill...and maybe a graduated fee base like Europe in the Northern areas... reasoning, if you shoot a 45" bull which is typical for Canada Moose and Central BC/ALBERTA, why would you pay full bore when a 55-60" is why you are paying big prices up north??!!
This puts the pressure on outfitters/guides to put out 110%, and everybody wins!!
FYI, I have quietly negotiated a fee base like this with a quality Northern outfitter...this also proves he is confident too!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2557 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Bump

470EDDY

Posts: 2557 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had good moose hunting here at one time but that's definitely in the past, Native hunting is uncontrolled and us white folks are down to a draw in the entire province. There might be better places to spend your money, but it seems to be a general problem. Our caribou population is in the same boat.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1585 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
GRIZZ,
BANG ON!!
Skyline has sent me a very eloquent Private Message with the same sentiments!!
I have hunted in BC, and ALBERTA since 1968, and until my last 2 hunts,never came home empty handed!!
Last 2 hunts were a disasters!! First east of Prince George, a heavily hunted(out) area,andoutfitter having serious deteriorating eye sight,one great local guide, and one poor tree planter from up north... one Moose for 4 hunters...a newbie hunter missed 2!! The other, Northern Alberta, fly in to big lake area. Outfitter over booked camp 50%, and by the 4th day of 10 day hunt 4 of 5 Argos broken down...and you CANNOT walk in that marshy tundra... so relegated to hunt lake, mostly in little tin boats intended for summer fishing... no survival gear, no provisions...and winter wind and snow. He was clearly in the mode you were speaking of...last gasp, shoot everything!! My two partners had not shot Moose, one shot a young bull with palms the size of my hand, the other, a big bodied declining bull. This was supposed to be a trophy hunt... and was 100% more than my last central Alberta river hunt!! I did not shoot.
With that kind of harvest, there is no young stock for next seasons...and another full camp of 6 came in behind us!!
With the Grizzly hunting closed, and limited wolf control, the end of the game is coming...
Once the BOOMERS money comes to an end, there are few new hunters behind them!! Some shooters, but few hunters... and unless theyareTechy employed, many are still living in their parents basements!!
I think alot of outfitters think they can make a good annual income hunting....and are now charging to make ends meet!! It is a seasonal venture...and now must be supplemented by other income streams... my old outfitters did, mostly contractors...
The other thing that I see contributing is TV shows popularizing hunting, making it look easy and always 100%. The other is Sports Shows and focus organizations with expensive exhibitor fees!! This adds to outfitter costs... and is passed on to every hunter!!
I have come to the conclusion that if you have to go to shows to get clients, you are not that good, or you are charging too much!! Word of mouth and referrals fill up the book for the good ones!!
Iam very fortunate, I can afford these new expectations by outfitters, but I won't!! I will buy fine guns, fly fun warbirds, and drink old Scotch...at least I can sell fine guns and aircraft...or my wife will!!
Frankly, I have been embarrassed when my guides cannot draw a tag for their own enjoyment and meat!! Alien hunters should NOT have over the counter Outfitter tags, when locals must draw, often unsuccessfully!! That's NOT RIGHT!!
I have sure enjoyed having Moose in the freezer all these years!!
Yes, some US States have Moose, including Washington where we live. All on drawing, mostly Once in a Lifetime tag, and the wolves are wiping them out!!
Go Figure!!

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post

I have shot a few nice bulls, but haven't even bothered to submit my name in the draws since 2012.

In the big bush, where we always used to hunt, there's not enough moose left.

That will change, in time.

Why?

Resource developement. People will blame many things, but the huge network of road systems, seismic lines to access oil is what has provided the easy access to the core moose areas.
Combine that with the winter network of skidoo trails and what is created is a highway network for 1) Wolves 2) Indians, who can hunt year round.

But what is happening slowly, is the oilfield is dying, in west-central Alberta (can't speak to the rest of Alberta).

But as the wells are abandoned and roads abandoned, nature gradually takes over, and eventually there won't be access into those areas, and the moose will recover.
But when? Might take 20 more years.

In Alberta, the moose numbers in the private farm land are astronomical. Why?

No Indians hunting that land. Simple as that.

Edit: For perspective I am 6'2" 220lbs, so figure out the size of those racks for yourself.

And I shot 'em.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that is a SPECTACULAR collection of Canada Moose!! CONGRATULATIONS and WELL DONE!!

Bet these are all self guided too!! You should be very proud of this collection...

Where, generally, did you hunt these... they look like big Northern BC bulls. The 4th and 6th photos are Big Boys!!

My late hunting partner who hunted with the same outfitter for almost 30 years never collected anything like your big ones in Central Alberta.

I passed on one on arrival day in the Carriars of Northern BC where the Chadwick Ram was tsken.... always regret that one!!

Very Envious,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 470EDDY!

Yes, all self guided of course. The bulls in these pics range from about 1987 up to 2012.

The one I'm holding in the bottom pic was my last moose, Oct 2012, and is the highest scoring of these racks at green score of 188".

These were all shot in the Swan Hills area of Alberta.

It is a region of rugged foothills, about 175 miles NW of Edmonton. It's basically the easternmost projections of the Rocky Mountain foothills. The massive ridges that make up the Swan Hills were formed at the same time as the Rocky Mountains were thrust up.

All oil & gas throughout, which is the downfall of the moose, as the road and cutline/skidoo trail network had allowed too much access.

But that is changing, due to the decline/abandonment of oil and gas wells throughout the Swan Hills.

I've got to tell you though, I'm getting the itch to go back out for moose this year. Got the exemption (medical) that allows me to hunt with a crossbow, so that would be what I would use.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fellas, I apologize... looking at the pics I realized I left out another decent bull.

I'll post those pics here, so they are all together.

Edit to add: Fwiw, these are not all the bull moose I shot. In total I killed 21 bull moose, and was in on a bunch of others with friends and family.

The rifle is a ZKK-602, .416RemMag. Shot this bull at 250 yards with a 400gr Horn IL. Just for the record.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

I'd kinda like to run into this guy... got this pic in July 2021.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In Alberta, the moose numbers in the private farm land are astronomical. Why?

No Indians hunting that land. Simple as that.

No wolves either and they've proven very adaptable to agricultural land. The elk have followed suit. Wink

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1585 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
DEMONICAL... I think we should re-crown you as MOOSE KING!!

That is very interesting you have collected that quality of Moose in what I would consider central Alberta...thinking more like Northern Bulls near the Yukon border!!

Wow, that last live bull in velvet is a MONSTER.... I would be applying for a tag every year and tracking that one every chance I had!! Good Luck on your draws!!

My late Moose hunting partner hunted for over 30 years about the same latitude but West on the Peace River. We rarely took bulls like you have displayed, and only one or two over 60", and that was very late season when they were running the trapline in severe weather.

On my last Moose hunt on Lake Bistcho,we'll north and bordering the Yukon, only one of 8 bulls taken was even close to your smallest!! Heavily hammered for years...and I expect was in the throws of the end game!!

Your photos give me great hope there are still great bulls to be had out there... now to find the low profile,limited harvest outfitter that hasn't shot for the moon in pricing... before Iam to old!!....as I told SKYLINE, I should have applied for Landed Immigrant status when I could have ... after my long career in the Fibre side of the Timber industry... often having to dodge Moose on the way to the mills!!... then I could be begging to be joining your campfire!!....NOPE!!

Thanks for sharing your great photos!! Wishing you the best for the future!! Please post your successes!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well thanks again EDDY, but I'm just a poor boy hunter.

One thing I'll likely never do is go on a guided hunt.

Here's the original pic of that bull with the date stamp, so you know it's not a phony pic...

Have a nice day all.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
What a GREAT photo!!

You have a real honey hole!!
Good luck with the Cross-Bow. That will be challenging!!

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What the heck, a few more pics...

I was calling one day, had a huge bull coming in, sounded like a 4'x8' sheet of plywood coming through the bush.
But then this bull and another the same size, came out and started fighting right in front of me, cuz they were also coming in to my call... imagine that? 3 bulls like that all at once!?
That bull moose fight is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen!
I shot this bull at pointblank distance, 15'!! when they paused for a monent... good thing they stopped where they did or they would have ran over me. Brad in the pic.

And then Brad and myself with the red cap.

That's another pic of the 'Fighter', my hunting partner Brad posing with the moose.

The craziest thing about that, I shot that bull like I said, pointblank range, 15' and dropped it in it's tracks, but the other big(!) bull just kept beating up the downed moose!
I started yelling at that bull to bugger off, but it wouldn't stop.
So I thought I'd fire a shot to scare it off, and since I was gonna do that, I decided to put a bullet right through the center of his palm.
Fired a 225gr Nosler partition (.338WM) right through the center of his right palm, and that damn bull just kept right on beating up the dead bull!
I was down to 1 round left in the magazine and the hair on my neck was standing up, I tell you!
I yelled at him, "The next one's for you! Bugger off!!"
And he finally quit beating on that bull looked over at me, like you could see him kinda thinking, "What the hell is this guy doing here?" then he ran off.

But I was really concerned that I might have to shoot the damn thing in self defense.

I always wished I'd find that right side shed antler, with the bullet hole through the palm! But never did, of course...

A pic of the bull right after the second bull ran off... air all around him fogged up from him fighting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few more memories...

I was calling on afternoon, had a bull come in right behind me, spun quickly, fired and missed him, then my gun jammed and I couldn't get off another shot.
Went back the next morning and this bull was bedded up right where I had been calling the night before, so he had come in to my call.
That was an easy hunt!

Nothing like a wall tent moose camp, is there?

I dug this rack out of the muskeg, found it on a hunt... I was stupid and gave this incredible rack away!!

Here's another huge rack I found, that I stuidly gave away... Doh!!

Here's a bull we called in to pointblank range and passed on... too small.

Here's a 50" bull that we called in, opening morning one year, and I turned this guy down, cuz it was first day of the hunt. Haha. But later on I shot this guy... next pic.

I sure would have liked to see the bull moose that did this!

We called in 3 bulls the day I shot this guy. Amazing palms, they are folded almost.

Same bull as above pic...

That's the same bull as above 2 pics, and when you angle the rack a certain way, the way the palms are folded in, you lose how wide they really are.

Another view...

Me on a solo spring bear hunt, in 2010.

Here's the bear I shot on that hunt.

Sorry to sneak bear pics into a moose thread, haha!

This bear squared over 7' but I forget exactly... big son of a gun anyway. That's the ZKK-602 .416RemMag again, but now has a MacMillan stock on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to have high-jacked the thread fellas... but seeing these pics brings back so many memories and since all those hunts were in the day before video, the pics and memories is all that's left.

And the racks.

Sure would have made one helluva movie.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Good to see there are other guys that enjoy moose hunting as much as I do! Shot my first bull 52 years ago and I have guided for moose for 45 years...just never get tired of hunting them.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I am DROOLING over your photos and stories... and my late hunting partner, who hunted as much as you have... is peering down with envy!!

KEEP IT UP!!

Thanks for sharing!! Looks like you have a proper and cozy tent camp with all of the necessities for a Great Hunt... with close buddies!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mike,
I guess we got a little off subject with this great excursion on BC and Alberta Moose!! As you can see, no recommendations!!... and no Guide/Outfitters with recommendations... you can see the commentary... it has gotten pretty tough to find good hunting... and prices that are "reasonable"... and not approaching Alaska Prices. I will also tell you that many Alaska residents and avid hunters are also scrambling for places to find a Good Moose... at any price!! Trust me, I have tried!!
You might be surprised that the BIGGEST and the Most Reasonably priced Moose today are in Kamchatka, Russia!! You can bring back the cape and horns, but you cannot enjoy that fantastic Moose meat for a year or two after your successful hunt!! David Keith, Gray Ghost Hunting, who posts frequently on the Africa forum, has experience on booking these hunts successfully.
David also has a good connection with a successful outfitter in Newfoundland, Eastern Canada, who regularly takes "nice Moose" but not as big as Western Canada Moose. They have a program to recover, cut and wrap and transport all meat to pick-up points in the US for hunters to retrieve and transport their cape, horns and meat home from these hunts. Reasonably Priced too!!
As you saw in my first post on this thread, I have hunted Moose since 1968 when my first hunt was $225, we provided the provisions, to $3250 in the 90s, again we provided the provisions, now seeing double to triple that number... and coming home empty handed, last two hunts!!
In the COVID years, I have seen pricing quoted in 2018 soar up 18-27% today and I am hearing that roll over hunts that were prepaid for 21-22 having premiums of $10,000 added to some of them!!.... this is a quote from a well-known agent in the last few weeks!!
Mountain Caribou pricing and availability is even worse!!
CERTAINLY, my monthly earned income has NOT TRACKED with these prices!!... which I have used in the past as a gauge!!
I am not sure there is an answer for you or your clients... unless prepared to pay BIG BUCKS... but I really think it is time for Graduated Trophy Fees on expensive hunts??!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
470EDDY....yes the hunt prices have gone through the roof. As it gets tougher to find solid hunts with good outfitters in prime areas, it will only get worse. At least for the short term. With all the hunt rollovers due to covid, there are actually quite a few guys who don't really need hunters for the 2022 or 2023, or at least very few.

The add on premiums for hunters that were already booked is bullshit. These folks find themselves in a rather bad position when this sort of thing is foisted upon them. I strongly object to this practice.

I have been drooling over the big bulls being taken in Kamchatka. Absolute monsters.

As for the mountain caribou, the prices were heading way up even prior to covid. Lets face it, caribou hunting is now just a fraction of what was available ten years ago. Quebec and Labrador are shut down. The NWT is shut down. Large numbers of caribou hunters were run each year in those two venues for Quebec/Labrador and Canadian Central Barren Ground boo. With those closed to non-resident hunting, the opportunities have been greatly reduced.

You can still hunt Central Barren Ground bulls through the Inuit Hunter Trapper Associations in some of the communities in Nunavut, but the number set aside for that are few. There are also a few available at a handful of lodges in northern Manitoba. The prices for these hunts have also climbed a lot from what they were prior to the closing of caribou hunting in Quebec and the NWT. Caribou permits are also still available in Nfld. but far fewer than there were in years gone by, because caribou numbers in Nfld. have also been significantly affected.

Mountain caribou hunts are also priced now at rates that are rather shocking. Part of the problem is that mountain caribou hunting in BC has deteriorated significantly over the years and your best odds for a really big mountain bull are in the Yukon and the Mackenzie Mtns of the NWT.

The problems affecting caribou are similar to moose in a lot of respects. Access due to logging, mining, oil and gas is a big problem. Predators are a problem. Harvest levels by First Nations are a problem.

At this point in time American hunters, at least the ones who simply want to hunt caribou and are not in the quest for all of the North American varieties, should focus on Alaska. It offers you the best bang for the buck and Americans from the lower 48 can avail themselves of unguided hunts if they feel up to it. But even the big barren ground herds in Alaska are showing some stress in a number of areas, so who knows what the future holds.

But back to the moose...I will never get a chance to kill an Alaska/Yukon bull. The prices have gotten to the point that they are just not affordable for me. Closest I will get is hunting the big bulls in northern BC next to the Yukon border as a resident. There are still some huge bulls out there, but the places that are still producing drooling quality bulls are getting fewer and fewer.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
From my perspective having hunted BC and Alberta successfully since 1968... prices are headed for the Moon and success rates falling badly!! My last two hunts, central BC and Northern Alberta, and most expensive, were a complete bust!! One Moose about 38" for party of 4, and the N Alberta fly in camp was 50% over booked, and 4 of 5 ARGOS broken down on day 4 of 10 day hunt!! I did not shoot, and my two partners( both first timers) shot a young bull with palms the size of your hand and the other a big body declining bull... disappointing!!
Since COVID and only local hunting for 2 years I am seeing prices up 25 to 35%...into the high $$teens for Northern hunts!!
These are now Sheep prices of just a few years ago!!
I simply can't justify this kind of pricing!! Not that I can't, I WON'T!!
Frankly, I am now starting to think it is time for North American hunters to start demanding Trophy Fee based hunts??!! IE, base daily rate, and a trophy fee for a successful kill...and maybe a graduated fee base like Europe in the Northern areas... reasoning, if you shoot a 45" bull which is typical for Canada Moose and Central BC/ALBERTA, why would you pay full bore when a 55-60" is why you are paying big prices up north??!!
This puts the pressure on outfitters/guides to put out 110%, and everybody wins!!
FYI, I have quietly negotiated a fee base like this with a quality Northern outfitter...this also proves he is confident too!!

I talked to an outfitter in Alaska about a mountain goat hunt. It sounded great, but it was $35,000 for just a mountain goat. This sure makes Africa looks like a bargain.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1283 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to an outfitter in Alaska about a mountain goat hunt. It sounded great, but it was $35,000 for just a mountain goat. This sure makes Africa looks like a bargain.[/QUOTE]

Holy Smokers!! That takes the cake!! I had heard about yacht based hunts for Goats where even handicapped hunters could take one late one when they migrate down onto the beaches in late season... I knew Parker hunts were at $25,000, and just checked Glacier Guides at $30k++!!...I don't know where this is going, but I won't be jumping on one of these... I would rather have another British Double Rifle... so I am now saying, It's NOT that I can't spend the money, I WON'T!!
You must have found the Holy Grail... "mine's bigger than yours is!!"

I also just read a great article about Monster Moose in Alaska... in recent issue of SPORTING CLASSICS... 70"+ Alaska-Yukon Moose... then I googled the outfitter and checked prices... $28,500!! For a Moose??!!##++@@$$$

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I second that
Africa right now is the best bargain
Even elk and mulie in western states is approaching bit of insanity

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I agree... but if PHs and Outfitters don't get in front of the "extras"... that surprise even the well traveled... it will be over too!!
DIP, PACK, FUMIGATE, DOCUMENTATION, CRATE, INSURANCE, FORWADERS FEES, AIR, Brokerage Clearance... final transport.... on and IN AND ON!!
Ridiculous!!... too many hands out!!

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
Well, I agree... but if PHs and Outfitters don't get in front of the "extras"... that surprise even the well traveled... it will be over too!!
DIP, PACK, FUMIGATE, DOCUMENTATION, CRATE, INSURANCE, FORWADERS FEES, AIR, Brokerage Clearance... final transport.... on and IN AND ON!!
Ridiculous!!... too many hands out!!

You got that right

“ Hávamál”