Find
Notify
Tools

Newfoundland moose
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Who here has hunted moose in Newfoundland? Just curious. I'm seeing references to 90 percent success rates. Looking at the island on Google Earth, the topography of the central plain seems to be fairly gentle, not heavily timbered, and with abundant lakes and streams, which I would guess are inhabited by brook trout.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, check the photos of the Moose that are shot. I'm guessing that being from Oregon, you're not wanting a meat hunt. Most Newfoundland Moose are not something you would mount.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
90% success rate or opportunity rate?

I have two friends who were there 2 weeks ago. They were with 2 other guys and got 3 moose total. Last guy had opportunities and missed out on them (including a monster bull that was on the side of the road and he couldn't get his rifle loaded).

But yes, it's mostly a meat hunt. My guys took the first moose they saw, didn't wait for big racks. They're there but you'll see a lot of moose before you see a big one.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The only Newfie hunts I have seen that are high success on big bulls 50 inches or better are about $10,000.

Ken Wilson www.sportsmenonfilm.com had some hunts like that.

My uncles hunt Canada every year five or six places a year and have been doing so since they sold their oil field business. They don't hunt Newfoundland because while it is a nice place, they said there is better hunting other places.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Newfoundland is a wonderful place, beautiful country and some of the friendliest people you will ever meet. I think most of the outfitters there consider opportunity as success. Also, most tags are either sex, so if you pass on a cow you had an opportunity.

I did not see a lot of moose while there but we were in a camp that was all foot hunting and quite a bit of timber. We would walk up from the lake and try to call them into openings. I took a mid-30 inch bull on the third day and was quite happy with it as this was what I expected. When we dropped my moose off at the butcher shop I did see a few really nice mid-40s racks with tall wide paddles.

Newfoundland is a moose factory, but as a rule, more of a meat moose factory than a trophy moose. I had a blast and will hunt there again. Also, my wife went with me and after the hunt we rented a car and toured around for a couple of days. We had a great time and Gros Morne national park is a stunning place. We were disappointed in most of the restaurants we ate at but that may have been because of how great the camp food had been.

DRSS

Posts: 624 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. I realize most of the bulls taken are under 40 inches. Just almost never hear a peep about Newfoundland -- or Labrador.
It's a "mighty fur piece" from Oregon.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Lots of moose, high success rates, friendly people and a very picturesque landscape. It's definitely on my bucket list!

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have been there quite a few times while I was in the military, the friendliness of the people is about like Australia. The people make it!

Just not a trophy moose destination.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I hunted there in 1996. Saw moose everyday, but only got a chance for a shot on the last day and did get a little bull, the rest were cows but none were where I could get a shot. I also took a Woodland Caribou on the first day of the hunt, not a bog one but with a pretty set of antlers.

We drove from Texas and spent a total of two weeks on the island and enjoyed it.

I would like to go back, but, I also would like to get a good chance at a bigger moose than the one I got.

In looking at the total costs and time required, I am looking more at Alberta or British Columbia as a better chance at a good moose.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you would enjoy Nfld. - folks there are affable & honest, the nicest I've met in visiting 40+ countries ( the Kiwis are a close second).

Moose populations
there are quite high, my wife & I beensuccessful on 4 hunts. As stated, these are not Yukon-sized. Our largest just tipped 40". I highly reccomend Dean McDonald at Moose Valley Outfitters on the other eastern coast...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just had 3 weeks there visiting the daughter in St Johns, went up to Bonaventure for a week where we saw moose everyday,there were a lot round the Trinity Loop.
Went to the gunshop nr the Avalon Mall to shoot some pistols as us Brits aren't allowed them anymore, from there we went to the Gunshop near Paradise, well stocked and very pleasant.
As has been said before the people are very friendly as are the Mozzy's, my good lady is still scratching from the bites, thank god she was there,otherwise they would have bitten me!!!

Posts: 1178 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well, I was just reading in another thread that getting meat shipped to the Pacific Northwest would be very difficult and expensive. It would make a lot more sense for me to look north to B.C. and Alberta for logistical reasons.
But I do hope to make it to the Maritimes some day, if for no other reason than to appreciate the dories.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have been to NL 4 times. It can be lots of fun. Where I go most people say it is the toughest walking they have ever done. success rate is high, trophy size animals are rare. Getting meat home to west of Rockies is a bit problematic. You can do a fly in wilderness hunt with Caribou Valley Outfitters for a very reasonable price and have a nice adventure if that is the goal.

Posts: 1049 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, consider taking meat home as baggage. We've done this with elk & moose in many western states and NF & Alberta. Styrofoam coolers inside waxed cardboard boxes (check internet or meat/fish shipping facilities).It helps if two are flying to lessen costs of extra baggage fees. 50 lbs max. x4 = a lot of meat!

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Talked to an outfitter recently in Newfoundland that says he can ship a butchered moose virtually anywhere in North America for $300. Not sure if that include Pacific NW or not but it's something the outfitters are on top of.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$300.00 is a good price on shipping meat. Buyer beware though. I have shipped a bunch of moose from Maine to successful clients from Michigan in 1999, Oregon in '01, Florida in '08, and Denver in 2011, just as examples. All were at least $1,800.00. Even back in '99. Shipped frozen in seafood cooler boxes that weighed 50 to 60 pounds each. Shipped "Two Day". $300.00 seems pretty cheap unless he's shipping just one box of meat, no antlers, no cape. If you fly with it, make sure you are totally clear of Air Canada, even if they sub-contract one oart of your flight. Not sure where you are, but I'd drive. My Denver hunter and others have expressed that if they ever draw another Maine tag. Have a graat hunt.

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundtender:
$300.00 is a good price on shipping meat. Buyer beware though. I have shipped a bunch of moose from Maine to successful clients from Michigan in 1999, Oregon in '01, Florida in '08, and Denver in 2011, just as examples. All were at least $1,800.00. Even back in '99. Shipped frozen in seafood cooler boxes that weighed 50 to 60 pounds each. Shipped "Two Day". $300.00 seems pretty cheap unless he's shipping just one box of meat, no antlers, no cape. If you fly with it, make sure you are totally clear of Air Canada, even if they sub-contract one oart of your flight. Not sure where you are, but I'd drive. My Denver hunter and others have expressed that if they ever draw another Maine tag. Have a graat hunt.

That didn't include cape and antlers. It seemed very reasonable to me as well but apparently a number of the outfitters have gotten together to get this deal but I'd want to know more before hand that's for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, go for a Woodland Caribou...good excuse as any.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bill, go for a Woodland Caribou

Be sure to be setting down when you ask about the price and availability of a Woodland Caribou hunt.

Last time I checked it was P.O.R.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1993....moose and woodland caribou...2750.00 combo. I scored on both. boo stag was nice, bull moose was 36" with nice palms. Both were tasty. Shipped (5) 70lb boxes of boned out meat home as excess baggage and no additional cost, US Air. One of the best hunting trips I was ever on. Walked my ass off though. Helicopter ride in, helicopter used to retrieve the animals and helicopter ride back out. Parsons Pond Outfitters.....3 brothers. One 28x30 cabin and a small equipment shed out in the middle of nowhere! Mostly tundra, we had to 4 wheel and walk a good 5 miles to the scrub forest for moose every day. My guide was one of the brothers, Trevor and he worked really hard for me. His wife was the cook..and I ate pretty darn good. Most if not all of the help was done by relatives. In that particular area there were lots of Boo but not a tremendous number of moose..I guess due to the more open areas at that camp. The did have 3 camps though.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Woodrow, that sounds like a nice hunt you had for that price!

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, at the time is was a good deal of money for me when raising 2 pre-teen boys. The central section of the Island is about where I hunted. The Boo were many and if you really wanted to hunt hard you could get one in the record book..matter of fact when I was leaving a man/wife just arrived and he landed one in the book with his muzzle loader.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were there in 1996 and I hunted in the Crabbe River area with Leo Hammond. The price for a combination Moose/Caribou/Black Bear hunt was $4200.00.

I did not get a chance at a bear, but did get a bull moose, actually a 7 point Bullwinkle and for me a nice caribou.

It is an adventure, but I would/will do it again given the chance.