THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    A few things you may not know about Canada
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A few things you may not know about Canada
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ac35pXL9bI&t=9s

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Brian,
Interesting video, thankyou.
It's quite a revelation seeing Canada has produced a few world firsts.
I've always enjoyed my visits to Canada, always BC, as has my wife who has relatives and friends in Vancouver. My wife is Chinese ( born in China ) so largely we have been within Asian circles when in Vancouver. A couple of things I would have contributed to the video are that, in my humble opinion, the Hong Kong cuisine style is superb and miles ahead of that in Hong Kong itself, which is still pretty darn goon. The other thing is Sushi. I love Sushi and have enjoyed it in several countries. Without a shred of doubt I'll bet Vancouver Sushi is the best on the planet. Absolutely to die for ! We have pretty good Sushi here in NZ too but whenever I have it here I'm always reminded of how fantastic it is in Vancouver.
Of course my main reason for visiting Canada was hunting. A pity it'a a bit spendy but often we've traveled far into wilderness. Just loved doing that. Weather is pretty fickle ( sometimes fuckle, if you'll excuse that expression Big Grin rotflmo ) but the hunting is always memorable. I'm waiting to go again when this CV situation settles.....

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30.06kink,
That is fascinating. I know very little about the asian community in Vancouver. About 25 years ago my wife and I enjoyed the company of a Taiwanese business man who would show us around the Hong Kong cuisine restaurants in Vancouver. It was pretty amazing, especially for me who can barely read past the hamburgers and steaks on a western menu.
I have seldom tried Sushi and had no idea that it is that good in Vancouver. I've gotta' get out more!

I don't know why guided hunting is so expensive in Western Canada. What do you hunt for in Canada? Thanks for the post. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian,
First time we ( one of my sons and I ) hunted Moose, Mountain Goat, Black Bear. We both got Moose. Had no luck on Black Bear. We got close to Mountain Goat but nothing takeable. Weather was against us during the hunt. We thought we did well under the circumstances.
Second time we tried again for Mountain Goat and Black Bear and added Caribou. I took a smallish Mt. Goat, my son took quite a good Billy but it fell off a bluff and lost the top of one horn. We both took Black Bear. We had time to hunt Caribou as well but couldn't. Horses were reserved at the main camp for our use but one guide with other clients on horseback failed to hobble the horses one night and they took off. He walked back to camp and took our horses, leaving us high and dry. Disappointing to say the least.
Third time it was just me hunting, doing a Black Bear Spring hunt. Had two tags and took two Bears of average size.
I was booked for a Mountan Goat hunt in 2019 and had to postpone due to needing knee surgery. Postponed again in 2020 and this year due to CV. Hope to do it next year, fingers crossed.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like some great adventures. I hope your knee and the covid, let you come here again asap. Brian

Administrator
posted Hide Post
First visit to Canada.

We staid at the Vancouver airport hotel, because we were flying out next morning.

Went to the restaurant to have dinner.

We’re told the restaurant closes soon.

We asked what can we do about food.

They suggested we eat in the lobby.

We said fine.

Went to the lobby, ordered food.

Then we were asked if we had any minors, of less than 18 - they could see the kids!

We said yes.

They said they could not serve us in the lobby with kids.

Back to square one.

Where do we eat.

They were kind enough to let us into the closed restaurant and got served dinner! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the Red and Green impose their stupidity on the rest of us.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1585 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
And the Red and Green impose their stupidity on the rest of us.

Grizz

The unfortunate situation that plagues many countries. Areas with large urban populations dictating what gets rammed down our throats. Same principal unfortunately at state and provincial levels as well. Sadly large urban areas breed Liberals at an alarming rate. At home here in BC all of the bleeding heart, artsy fartsy types from the Lower Mainland and southern Vancouver Island control the rest of the province and ram their Liberal agendas down our throats. None of which is good for hunting or firearms issues.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skyline.

Very true. The Urban Voters, Left and Right have the hammer.

Your comment is especially true with regards to the terrible bush fires in the interior this year.

I won't go into details as it pisses me off too much and it will just invite the stupid people on AR to chime in.

Basically, the BC Government is hanging the farmers out to dry (or should I say "burn" in this case.) They have some sort of "let the bush fires burn" policy, to save money, I guess. Thousands of hectares of range and hay have been let burn, on purpose, and I believe that lots of cattle and wild life have perrished. It is complicated but it goes hand in hand the point that rural folks are treated like second class citizens at times.

More will come out on the subject in the news media when they finally catch up to it.
I'm just saying that I agree with your point for sure!
Brian

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Skyline.

Very true. The Urban Voters, Left and Right have the hammer.

Your comment is especially true with regards to the terrible bush fires in the interior this year.

I won't go into details as it pisses me off too much and it will just invite the stupid people on AR to chime in.

Basically, the BC Government is hanging the farmers out to dry (or should I say "burn" in this case.) They have some sort of "let the bush fires burn" policy, to save money, I guess. Thousands of hectares of range and hay have been let burn, on purpose, and I believe that lots of cattle and wild life have perrished. It is complicated but it goes hand in hand the point that rural folks are treated like second class citizens at times.

More will come out on the subject in the news media when they finally catch up to it.
I'm just saying that I agree with your point for sure!
Brian

Brian...I think there are lots of people who live in the "bush" that have noticed and more than a few are starting to ask questions that need to be asked. I hope Horgan gets a virtual ass kicking. He is an arrogant SOB and a prime example of what many now refer to as a "604".
Wink

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skyline. Interesting. Does "604" refer to the area code of Vancouver? Brian

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Skyline. Interesting. Does "604" refer to the area code of Vancouver? Brian

tu2 Yes, the LML.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like that, Brian.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure hope you rural Canadians prevail. I'm angry just reading about that crap as it's the exact same situation we're in here in the US.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have visited BC twice.

Always met with very friendly and helpful people.

We made friends.

In Vancouver we went to lunch.

In a ginormous Chinese restaurant.

It was closing time when we arrived.

They kindly let us in and served us!

We were the only people in a place that seated several hundreds!!

We loved it! clap

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Why the comment “ stupid people on AR” Brian?
Why then you hang out on this site?

Canada is great country and neighbor and I wish we would have an open border, same currency and people could work back and forth across the border

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Let us face it.

Stupid, uncaring idiots are in every country.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I always saw BC as a province for a great lifestyle. I sometimes call BC, "Mexico North".

I grew up and went to University in Alberta. It is seen as a redneck province. I have alway said that if you want something done in business ask an Albertan, not a British Columbian.
There was a bumper sticker that used to be common in Alberta that said, "Please God, give me one more oil boom and I promise not piss it all away this time." (chuckle)

In BC you can expect to see a few, "Have you hugged a tree today?" bumper stickers.

In Canada and the USA there seems to be about 30% of the population that are willfully ignorant.
So, on the bright side that leaves whopping 70% bright and informed people at large on the streets. Thats not too bad, I guess.

I think that the 70% percent appreciate where they fit and the other 30% think that they are the "70%". LOL.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed, I always saw BC as a province for a great lifestyle. I sometimes call BC, "Mexico North".

I grew up and went to University in Alberta. It is seen as a redneck province. I have alway said that if you want something done in business ask an Albertan, not a British Columbian.
There was a bumper sticker that used to be common in Alberta that said, "Please God, give me one more oil boom and I promise not piss it all away this time." (chuckle)

In BC you can expect to see a few, "Have you hugged a tree today?" bumper stickers.

In Canada and the USA there seems to be about 30% of the population that are willfully ignorant.
So, on the bright side that leaves whopping 70% bright and informed people at large on the streets. Thats not too bad, I guess.

I think that the 70% percent appreciate where they fit and the other 30% think that they are the "70%". LOL.

You know you one of those woke idiots you always point fingers to Brian

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If someone is woke they should immediately be put back to sleep.....with a large mallet or the like. They and the cancel folks.....need to be permanently canceled. rotflmo

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We were skiing inland from Prince Rupert.

My wife booked me a fishing trip at Prince Rupert.

We drove there early one morning, went fishing during a drizzly day, caught some fish.

In the afternoon, driving back, there was an avalanche that blocked the road.

They told us it will be cleared soon.

Drive back to Prince Rupert, tried to get into a restaurant about to close.

The let us in, served us lunch, and told us we could stay as long as we wished.

The rest belonged to a couple of Chines.

By evening the road was still blocked.

We were told nothing will happen till next day.

Went to hotel, no room.

Went to another, no room, but they offered to call around and try to find us rooms.

They did.

Went and checked in.

Posted a message here on AR of what is happening to us.

A gentleman I have never met, sent me a message that he was in Prince Rupert!!

He gave his phone number, and I called him.

He came over and took me to his house.

Met his wife and daughter.

Wonderful people.

A couple of days later I invited them on a helicopter flight.

They absolutely loved it.

So my experience with Canada and Canadians has been nothing but wonderful!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
I imagine that your behaviour and stye is respectful and gracious. That makes all the difference in most places in BC, Canada.
Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed,
I imagine that your behaviour and stye is respectful and gracious. That makes all the difference in most places in BC, Canada.
Brian

It makes all the difference in most places. The Ugly American doesn't cut it.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1585 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grizz, That is very true. Brian

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have travelled all over the place.

And what I found is obnoxious people don’t belong to certain nationalities or races.

We all suffer from this.

I found a smile and a joke goes a very long way in making friends!

I tend to talk to everyone.

My daughter used to tell me “dad, stop talking to strangers!”

She stopped now.

Instead she says “everyone knows my dad!”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I like that, Brian

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

And what I found is obnoxious people don’t belong to certain nationalities or races.

We all suffer from this.

She stopped now.

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:
Saeed,
Brian

It makes all the difference in most places. The Ugly American doesn't cut it.

Grizz

The ugly American doesn't cut it anywhere....even in America. Treat people the way you like to be treated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Bull, I have always found you to be very respectful.

Take for example the post you sent to me a while back.

"Simply stated.....you're a fucking scumbag. How's that for thoughtful you limp dick?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes Bull, I have always found you to be very respectful.

Take for example the post you sent to me a while back.

"Simply stated.....you're a fucking scumbag. How's that for thoughtful you limp dick?"

That was in direct response to your trouncing Americans a few posts prior, yes?

BTW....the ugly American acts like an ass without cause. Good citizens don't tolerate fools gladly or take shit from anybody.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW....the ugly American acts like an ass without cause. Good citizens don't tolerate fools gladly or take shit from anybody.

Yes.

And one should accept reality too.

That no matter what nationality some are.

They are nothing but deranged, selfish idiots who think the world revolves around them!

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
selfish idiots who think the world revolves around them!

That sums it up nicely Saeed. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

We all suffer from this.

She stopped now.

Very true Saeed:
Ive lived in Europe and visited 15 different countrys. Ive always found most folks to be kind and friendly to a stranger.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
How funny!

Met 3 people in the desert after lunch today.

They had a brand new JEEP, and were well and truly stuck!

At 2 in the afternoon, when the sand is so hot you can cook an egg on!

A Canadian, an Australian and a Russian!

The wind was blowing so hard too.

I went out to look at the area we train falcons in, as the season starts this month.

I had so much fun with them.

Tried to be as rude as I could, and everyone joined in.

Apparently they all work in the same company!

I asked about their Human Resources manager.

I wanted to congratulate him on picking just the right people to go dune bashing.

Totally unprepared!

No had no shovel.

No tow rope.

No lift balloon.

No tracks to out under the tires!

The Australian actually cried of laughter!

When I said the poor judge who worked for Her Majesty’s Government, who picked his ancestors years ago, is rolling in his grave right n ow!

The Russian did not understand this, and we had to explain it to him.

I got them out, as I carry everything required.

All we needed this time was a tow rope though.

Made new friends.

One from Montreal. One from Perth and one from Moscow.

They promised to head to ACE Hardware and purchase the required equipment.

I told them the most important equipment is what lies between the ears.

And so far they have proven they lack that as far as going to the desert. clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, Another good story, Thanks for the laugh! Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's an ACE hardware in Dubai? rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
It's the Aussie's fault. He should have way more familiarity with sand dunes than a frog from Montreal and a Russian from the great white north. Wink

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
It's the Aussie's fault. He should have way more familiarity with sand dunes than a frog from Montreal and a Russian from the great white north. Wink

It fascinating here meeting people from all over the world.

I think we have people working here from every country on earth.

And the desert is so close.

Within a few kilometers of town, one can get into the desert.

many people have 4 wheel SUV.

Some never venture off road.

Some seem to think that as long as they are in a 4 wheel vehicle, they can go anywhere.

Without proper preparations.

We have a very large solar farm about 50 kilometers from town.

It is in the middle of the desert.

They have made bike tracks around that area, that extend to about 150 kilometers.

It is very well maintained, and extremely popular with cyclists.

There are people on it at any given time of time, 24 hours.

They have set up a very large car park on a main road to that area.

At the weekend, that parks is over flowing by 6 in the morning.

From there to the end of the main road it is 18 kilometers.

So going and coming on a bike adds 36 to your route, and many people do that.

By that car park, there is a roundabout.

Two straight roads from there one goes to town, and one to the solar area.

The other junctions lead to nowhere, except the desert.

It is a very popular area with people having BBQs.

In the winter we go there almost every day in the afternoons.

And at weekends, we see incredible sights.

I have seen big America SUV's with the tires off their ring!

Because people get stuck, then try to get the air out so much and then try to drive.

I have seen several families from India, in their lovely colorful saris digging stuck cars.

It actually gets so bad sometimes that because of the dunes, one cannot see very far.

So what we do sometimes when we are there, one goes off to higher points just to look for people stuck.

So being an Aussie does not tell you that one has to know what the desert is like.