THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    Anyone from Onterio, I need to know if one needs a license to take a lynx

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone from Onterio, I need to know if one needs a license to take a lynx
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
I know that someone from the USA needs a hunting license to hunt anything that is considered game animal. the reason I'm asking this is, several years ago I was hunting black bear in Onterio and while siting in a tree stand over bait something caught my eye moving by about 30 yds from my stand to my left. I realized it was a lynx and a big one. I could have taken him easily but though I had a license with a bear tag, I didn't know if I could legally take the lynx.
The confusion came from the fact that in the USA as far as I know the bobcats, and lynx are legal with nothing more than a hunting license, and in some cases without a license of any kind for a resident.
I guess my question is, are lynx considered a varmint, or are they totally protected, for a resident, and are they available at all for a nonresident hunter?
That cat was a very nice lynx and would have made a great full body mount. However I didn't shoot him, and it has bothered me till today that I may have missed a fine opportunity and I didn't get a bear either!
……………………………………………………………. Confused oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Being mean because I am bored, but I guarantee you that no one is from Onterio. No one.
I apologize in advance.

Posts: 17018 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Mac......no, I am not from Ontario. Having said that, I am pretty sure that Ontario does not allow hunters to shoot lynx. They are a "fur-bearing animal" and can only be taken by licensed trappers, which is the case in most of the Canadian provinces and territories. There is nowhere in Canada that classifies lynx as "varmints".

However, British Columbia is an exception to the norm and you can get a tag to hunt lynx in BC....but non-residents/non-resident aliens must use a guide-outfitter. Chilcotin Hillbilly on this forum is a guide-outfitter in BC that uses dogs and offers hunts for cougar, bobcat and lynx. Although there are exceptions, the season in most management units is Nov 15 - Feb 15 and the bag limit is one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
I know that someone from the USA needs a hunting license to hunt anything that is considered game animal. the reason I'm asking this is, several years ago I was hunting black bear in Onterio and while siting in a tree stand over bait something caught my eye moving by about 30 yds from my stand to my left. I realized it was a lynx and a big one. I could have taken him easily but though I had a license with a bear tag, I didn't know if I could legally take the lynx.
The confusion came from the fact that in the USA as far as I know the bobcats, and lynx are legal with nothing more than a hunting license, and in some cases without a license of any kind for a resident.
I guess my question is, are lynx considered a varmint, or are they totally protected, for a resident, and are they available at all for a nonresident hunter?
That cat was a very nice lynx and would have made a great full body mount. However I didn't shoot him, and it has bothered me till today that I may have missed a fine opportunity and I didn't get a bear either!
……………………………………………………………. Confused oldMacD37

Funny you mention that. A couple years back I was black bear hunting in Alberta when a wolverine appeared. I wondered the same thing and also didn't shoot. But I had read the game regs beforehand but couldn't remember what they said about wolverines.

Just as Skyline said wolverines are fur bearers so no shooting them.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Alberta, a Lynx is a fur bearer, only available to trappers and in limited numbers. I suspect Ontario that would be the same. Probably worth your ass, if you had pulled the trigger. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1575 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I have seen from reading the ONT hunting regs many times.

As a non resident they well have a lic for you to shoot anything at the right price.

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Being mean because I am bored, but I guarantee you that no one is from Onterio. No one.
I apologize in advance.

It is your mother's fault.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
Mac......no, I am not from Ontario. Having said that, I am pretty sure that Ontario does not allow hunters to shoot lynx. They are a "fur-bearing animal" and can only be taken by licensed trappers, which is the case in most of the Canadian provinces and territories. There is nowhere in Canada that classifies lynx as "varmints".

However, British Columbia is an exception to the norm and you can get a tag to hunt lynx in BC....but non-residents/non-resident aliens must use a guide-outfitter. Chilcotin Hillbilly on this forum is a guide-outfitter in BC that uses dogs and offers hunts for cougar, bobcat and lynx. Although there are exceptions, the season in most management units is Nov 15 - Feb 15 and the bag limit is one.

Thanks for the heads up on the cats. I was almost certain that he was off limits, especially for a non resident. However though I have seen many cats in the wild, and have taken both cougar, and bobcats, I had never got my sights on a very large Lynx,and my trigger finger was doing a dance on my rifle, for sure!

Thanks again! old patriot

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
PS::
On that same trip to Canada, we had to change planes in Ontario, to fly down to Thunder Bay and rent a van for the three of us to go to the camp.

While we were in the process we had to open our gun cases to show our rifles were legal in Canada. After we got through my friend who was behind me in the inspection line, asked me if I heard the guy's comment behind him. to which I replied NO. He said the guy behind him said to his friend, "those crazy Americans. that guy has a scope mounted on double barreled shotgun! "

My rifle was a side by side double rifle, with a Quick release lighted reticle scope, and chambered for 45-70 for shooting in the vary last dim light of the day for black bear from a baited tree stand!

……...…......…...……. jumping oldMacD37

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife liked to retell the story, about the Americans who thought Calgary was an hours drive from Niagara Falls. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

Posts: 1575 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MacD37: You need to check state laws before hunting here in the US also. I think lynx are now a protected species under federal laws. Here in my state of Utah, and a number of others, bobcats are considered a furbearer. A general hunting license does not cover them - you also need a furbearer license. Utah also requires you to buy bobcat tags before the season and get the hide sealed after you take one. The state takes the bottom jaw of each bobcat for research. The last time I hunted in Texas my general license was good for bobcat, but it is not the same everywhere. That is why you should always get a copy of the regulations whenever you buy a license.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
On that same trip to Canada, we had to change planes in Ontario, to fly down to Thunder Bay and rent a van for the three of us to go to the camp.

While we were in the process we had to open our gun cases to show our rifles were legal in Canada. After we got through my friend who was behind me in the inspection line, asked me if I heard the guy's comment behind him. to which I replied NO. He said the guy behind him said to his friend, "those crazy Americans. that guy has a scope mounted on double barreled shotgun! "

My rifle was a side by side double rifle, with a Quick release lighted reticle scope, and chambered for 45-70 for shooting in the vary last dim light of the day for black bear from a baited tree stand!

Strange thing coming from a guy who can't spell Ontario. Big Grin

Grizz

James R. Doolitle

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mac.....Smiler That does not surprise me really. I have known a lot of hunters that were not "gun" people and probably had never even heard of a double rifle. They bought or inherited a .30-06 or a .270 when they were young and never looked back. No real interest in firearms beyond smacking a deer or a moose for the freezer in the fall. Nothing wrong with that, but look at all the fun they miss out on.

That of course is assuming the customs guy was even a hunter. Quite likely wasn't and just assumed your double was a shotgun because it had two barrels on it. Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet the "natives" don't shoot them. Roll Eyes

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 245 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote