Find
Notify
Tools

Changes to my Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted
I'm leaving next week to Northern B.C for a moose/caribou/goat hunt. It was scheduled as a horseback hunt but today my outfitter contacted me with changes.
Because of all the rain and snow they've received this year lakes, rivers and creeks have flooded and made dangerous if not impossible to hunt with horses. Even getting the horses to the camp we had planned to hunt would probably be impossible. Instead he said we will be flying into lakes with cabins. Up to four different flights and lakes. He is picking up the cost of the extra flights. I believe the outfitter has came up with a good alternate plan and is doing what he can to make my hunt successful.
Bad weather has affected my hunts before but this is the first time it changed the method before it started. I'm disappointed about the change. It will challenge me and my bad left leg but I'll have to do the best I can mentally and physically.
Wish me luck.

Posts: 383 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck! Keep a positive attitude. You have to trust the man on the ground....

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 851 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck.

Having just spent a couple of weeks up there, I can tell you things were vastly different when I left than when I arrived. Rivers were not safe. Creeks that we had stepped across early on became impossible to cross.

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With your bad leg I would reschedule your hunt. There is a major difference between a horseback hunt and one on foot. I would wait and go on the hunt you booked.

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish you luck. I hope your leg does not restrict you to the point of diminishing hunt opportunities.
I was supposed to be on a BC Goat hunt in late August but had knee surgery in July. I had advised my outfitter beforehand and he gave me the option of postponement if I was not recovered in time for the hunt. I worked on getting my knee right but came to the realisation that I was not in hill shape so postponed the hunt until next year. Maybe that has been fortunate considering northern BC weather lately.
Weather there is a major, major factor. On my first BC hunt some years ago weather delayed our hunt start by 4 days, then delayed our hunt area departure by 4 days. Weather on the hunt was awful. I hadn't shot at game until the day before we departed when I got my Moose, my primary animal.
I truly hope your hunt goes very well.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the support. I did think about postponing the hunt for a little bit but decided to hunt on. If I do my job I think I'll have a good chance at goat and moose. Caribou may be tougher but who knows I may be lucky. Goats are close to the lakes just need to find one lower. Will be able to boat hunt a lake/river for moose'
Still disappointed but more positive about the hunt today. Like SkiBlumpus says, I need to have faith in my outfitter.

Posts: 383 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck. At least the outfitter told you ahead of time. Sign of a good outfitter.

Posts: 10095 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Dogcat about your outfitter notifying you ahead of your arrival . That shows integrity on your outfitters part. Goat hunting in BC can be pretty rough with good wheels, not sure about a goat hunt with a bad leg. My favorite hunts except for one have all been horseback . Sounds like you are going . Best wishes for a great adventure and hunt!

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck take your time and have fun ! Go at your own pace not the guides .

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Good luck and hoping for some great pics when you get back.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote