Find
Notify
Tools

Dall sheep outfitters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted
I've started researching outfitters for my first sheep hunt. I'd love info if anyone has any recommendations or first hand knowledge of outfitters and areas to seek out or avoid. I'm not getting any younger, so while I'm looking at Alaska, I'm also looking at some outfits in NWT that will fly you from base camp to a spike camp location via helicopter (I'd like to save my legs for the climbs as much as possible). I'm also posting this in the Alaska forum.
Thanks in advance!

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arctic Red River in NWT flies from base camp to the field via airplanes and seems to work really well.

It is a backpack type hunt since being a vagabond seems to really produce for them.

I've been there 3 times and the hunts have been perfect every time.

Zeke

posted Hide Post
Ravensthroat outfitters in the NWT is who you want to book with.

Posts: 12 | Location: canada | Registered: 26 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check these guys out. I have taken two Dalls with them and they are top notch! They will fly you into the back country where they have well equipped camps set up and good mountain horses. (no back packing for most of their many areas) They also have some relatively easier areas for older hunters and a high success rate:

Mervyn’s Yukon Outfitting
Box 33036
Whitehorse, Yukon
Y1A 5Y5
Canada
Phone: 867-633-6188

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with the Lancaster's Nahanni Butte Outfitters . Great outfit and used helicopter to get to the mountain. On your own from there .

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.huntnahanni.com

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Canol Outfitters last year and they do a great job.

Glenda Groat does a great job with the logistics and they have a very good staff and a really good helicopter pilot.

I'd go with them again in a heartbeat and I will.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stan Stevens and Mackenzie Mountain Outfitters. Awesome operation and great sheep.

Mike

Posts: 45 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 17 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if you are looking at YT too but I hunted with Caesar Lake Outfitters and would recommend them.

One of Us
Picture of Arrow Slinger
posted Hide Post
I hunted with South Nahanni Outfitters and had a fantastic hunt. Took a 10 year, heavy, double-broomed Ram, and a very nice Mountain Caribou. They do a fly-in to base camp and then helo hunters & guides to hunting areas. Sunny and Werner are just the nicest folks and run a first class operation. Fantastic track record of success.

Posts: 106 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Arctic Red River a few years ago. Great outfit.

Posts: 11905 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello

I hunted with Stan Stevens - Mackenzie Mountain Outfitters.
I have hunted a lot but hands down Stan is among the top 3 outfitters I have ever hunted with.

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No fair Aziz, most of your epic hunts happened a while agoSmiler certainly there is wisdom from experience with your words! And the blue jeans... well on another level sir SmilerSmiler

Posts: 621 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello

You are right ha ha, but I meet Stan every year at SCI, and we discuss hunting in his area, I look at his photo albums, he is still getting outstanding trophies.
He is now also using a helicopter, and told me he can now get into areas where it was impossible to go with a fixed wing.
Horses yes, but then no changing areas if you don't see anything.
Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aziz:
Hello

I hunted with Stan Stevens - Mackenzie Mountain Outfitters.
I have hunted a lot but hands down Stan is among the top 3 outfitters I have ever hunted with.

How did you kill that sheep on flat ground?
Cool

Posts: 10083 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sneak had to be the tough part!

Posts: 709 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruby Range Outfitters in the Yukon, they use horses but the mountains arent too bad. You will see sheep. About to take my second trip with them if I can get into Canada.