New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newfoundland boot suggestion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After my SCI group trip for next year fell trough due to a number of members medical issues, I was asked this week by one of the doctors I work with to join his group going to hunt with DADG MacDonald next fall for moose. What are everyone’s suggestions for boots? I’ve a set of Mucks now, but don’t think they will be very comfortable/durable.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I hunted Newfoundland in 1996 with Leo Hammond and I wore knee high rubber wading boots and had no problems.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Well I at least would rather wear Muck boots above any rubber boot. They actually are very durable and are much more comfortable in varying conditions. I wear them a lot in the winter cutting firewood and the like plus several hunting trips over the past ten or so years.

I know a guy who guides for bear in Alberta that swears by them. He has about the most worn pair I have ever seen. Both front toes are completely worn off to the inner layer and they still don't leak.

To each his own but I'm very happy in Muck boots and that's what I would use.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like you said to each his own,. but that is what the outfitter recommended and I had no problems.

Wore similar boots in September 2000 on my Musk Ox-Caribou hunt in Nunavut.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brandon,

The MUCK boot suggestion is a good one. We all wore MUCK boots or similar last year in Newfoundland at the outfitter's suggestion. He had it right. Underfoot is almost always wet and you may be getting in and out of boats.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12841 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wore Lacrosse Alpha Burly boots the whole trip. I also wore lightweight rain pants in the morning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I'll pick up a pair of Alpha Burly's and wear them along with Mucks through this winter and see what feels best. I've a bunch of pheasant hunts this winter (cut corn fields), so getting some miles in on them should be easy.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off subject but you will really enjoy the Newfies. They are wonderful, down home people. When we were rving around there a few years ago we found after talking to a Newfie for 10 minutes he'll probably give you a codfish. We swapped some frozen crab we had for a jar of moosemeat with a really nice old boy named Winston. He had a lot along the East West highway he let RV'rs camp on just so he could BS with them. Enjoy the trip. One more thing, those long, black burned rubber strips on the highway are moose sign.

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sitting in Deer Lake hotel waiting to go home.
Good hunt, all three of us took Moose in about a day and a half of hunting.

Each of us wore Muck Boots with no complaints. I really like them.

Posts: 86 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, pictures?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No idea how to post pics. Barely able to take a usable picture. I am hopelessly personally outdated.

Posts: 86 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I used plain old heavy duty knee high rubber boots there a few years ago. They fit fine and worked great. Mucks should be just fine.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13096 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
I used plain old heavy duty knee high rubber boots there a few years ago. They fit fine and worked great. Mucks should be just fine.

Somewhat agree. I prefer anything equivalent to a 'Texas-size 12.'

For a normal human, that'd be more like wearing a size 15 boot. tu2

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is always a case of personal choice and the outfitter I used recommended the knee high rubber boots and I was used to wearing such boots at work so I didn't see any reason changing what worked.

As long as the hunter is successful and had a good hunt, that is all that matters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MUCK boots are very good here. I used them.

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote