THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    Ft MacMurray Fire Comment from a friend

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ft MacMurray Fire Comment from a friend
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
PROUD TO BE CANADIAN

I woke up this morning feeling the most incredible sense of pride for my country and it's people.
As a portion of it burns and it's people run for their lives with only the clothes on their back.
Like refugees in their own province.
As people lose everything and have to drive by their burning lives.
Confused, scared and desperate to escape.
They do the unthinkable....They stop...to help others.
They throw their own belongings to the ground to make room for those stranded on the side of the road.
The open their homes and businesses for strangers in need.
They walk for miles down a highway with a gas can while people are stuck in traffic asking 'who needs gas.'
They fight a monster for hours on end, all the while knowing they have no home to go home to.
Almost 90 000 incredible people were evacuated from FortMcMurray in less than 24 hours.
With NOT one story of violence, looting or price gouging against their fellow man.
Instead they shared what little they had, made sure everyone had a safe place to sleep or a shoulder to cry on.
As a country we have won many medals, trophies and honors the world over and it always gives us a sense of pride.
But this...this situation...there is no prize here. No medals coming for these people. The real heroes don't wear capes.
To the incredible people of Alberta and the entire country coast to coast, I Thank You.
For reminding us all what it means to be an amazing and a true Canadian.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alberta Strong !!!!

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wimps don't live in Ft. Mac, they'll land on their feet in no time. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just so you know:

There are National and International elements to the Ft. Mac. fire story. Much of the money and infrastructure in the Tar Sands is foreign, especially USA. (including, of course the Koch brother, who are big players.)

The home owners and camp workers are from all accross Canada, especially Newfoundland.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mean oil sands...

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Demonical, Maybe you are right I think. I worked on a drilling rig in Ft MacMurray area in 1963, for Tri-City drilling. We sometimes called it "Tar Sands" back then. The term is still in use today. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Demonical, Maybe you are right I think. I worked on a drilling rig in Ft MacMurray area in 1963, for Tri-City drilling. We sometimes called it "Tar Sands" back then. The term is still in use today. Brian

Worked in Ft Mac as a young lad in the mid 70's and it was called tar sands back then too
Still remember driving up to Ft Mckay and seeing this black gooy looking stuff that was leaking into the soil + water . Was all natural.

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
We sometimes called it "Tar Sands" back then. The term is still in use today. Brian

Pretty well only used by the antis today....

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi sjr, I guess that saying 'Tar Sands" dates us. We are "good ol' boys".
When I was frist there, in '63, the end of the road was Wandering River. From there we used the old winding forestry "winter road".
Sometimes it was 4 wheel drive and chains all around for a full day to get to Ft MacMurray.
There were big show drifle that we had to hand dig and winch through,

My Father, Bill Gallup, did much of the geological work in the early years. There was no extraction plants in those days. It was all explorion. The Oil Sands was the only place to drink and stay. It was a small place. Sometimes a friend of my dads, Efrium Bonnyplume from Ft McKay would "mush" in and tie is dog team up in the vacant lot beside the bar.
To go the booze store one would drive down a country road for a few miles to Waterways. That all seems like just yesrtday to me. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheephunterab, Thanks for the note. I didn't know that.
It was always an "In" term to me. I guess I better get with the program.
My son Mitch is a supervisor at Imperial oil in Ft.Mac. I know he always kinda blinks when I say "tar sands". I will change that and impress him. Brian

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Hahaha...no big deal....it falls out of my mouth occasionally as well....I'm an old guy too but with all the negative press about "dirty" oil, oil sands is now used by those in the industry for sure.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, there is no use giving them any extra momentum by using the wrong word. Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
quote:
We sometimes called it "Tar Sands" back then. The term is still in use today. Brian

Pretty well only used by the antis today....

I remember when Gay referred to a happy, joyful person. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
I prefer the term ethical oil myself.

And yes we call it oil sands just like Venezuela doesn't call their lake mariciabo oil tar either which is same thickness as oil sands.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Main airport has been opened again. Brian

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Was black bear hunting a couple weeks ago near Chipewyan lake and ran into some fire fighters camped nearby. The reason they were there was their camp kept getting burned out closer to the Fort MacMurray area. They had five helicopters so to protect them they moved far away to keep them safe. Great guys to talk with.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They've finally decided this fire was human caused, started in a recreational area 15 k SW of Ft. Mac and are looking for information.

Grizz

One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
They've finally decided this fire was human caused, started in a recreational area 15 k SW of Ft. Mac and are looking for information.

Grizz

Wonder if it was the oil sands protestors that were protesting at the south end of fort Mac. on the highway, but quit and left town, the day before the fire?

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for your eloquent words, Brian. And bless the Canucks.

The press down here has all but forgotten Ft. McMurray.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not looked at this thread for a long time.

I see that I have to mention that I did not write the words in my first post. It was sent to me by a friend.

Brice, Thanks for giving me credit but I just cut and pasted the post. Brian

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Brian......... I am sure you have seen in the news that Ft. Mac. just had a bunch of flooding due to torrential rains. They cannot get a break this year.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have. Tough year. Also my son works for Imperial oil there and my step mother lives in Ft MacKay. Thanks for mentioning it. Brian