THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    BC Stone Sheep Hunt-pictures added
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BC Stone Sheep Hunt-pictures added
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
always great to read your report and the honesty about your gear and yourself.

thank you very much and you dessereved that sheep. well done.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed your report. Just got back from a Stone Sheep with Stone Mountain Safari. Good hunt, good guides, got a nice sheep. Had the same weather frustrations. That’s hunting. Also had a bad weather experience in 2015. My gear was mostly Arcteryx, with some Filson mixed in, including their rain jacket and down coat, both of which performed well. The one exception is my Kuiu rain pants, which ripped to shreds. The ultra light weight stuff often doesn’t hold up, and I’ve noticed that guides rarely have that stuff. Stone Glacier pack worked well for me. For my feet the Lowa boots were a distinct improvement over Meindels- last year I came back from a Dall hunt with blackened toe nails, from walking down hills and my feet sliding into the toe of the boot. Just underscores that everyone’s foot is different, and a good boot for one does is not necessarily good for another.

The thing that resonated the most with me are your comments about having difficulty with the uneven terrain, boulders, etc. I’m in Michigan, and there is simply no place like that here. Walking stadium steps would not help. I too spend an honest 10-12 hours/week on fitness, and physiologically I’m in better shape now at 61 than I was at 45, when I had a more time demanding job. I had no problems with 60 flights of stairs with a 40 lb pack. It was supremely frustrating to see my guides traverse a boulder field with no problem, only for me to struggle. They were good about going slowly, but they are literally walking with their hands in their pockets, and I’m flailing around with sticks, and continually rolling boulders down the mountain. I love the North country, this is my eighth sheep hunt, but not sure I want to do another. I have another one scheduled for next year, but not sure I’m going to go. As one poster said, it’s fun to have done it, but not fun when you’re in the process. Glad to hear I’m not the only one with these frustrations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the sheep.

I am glad I am not the only one with these issues.

It is absolutely impossible for me to replicate the terrain. It simply does not exist where I live nor can I artificially replicate it.

I do 5 days a week with 57-60 pounds in the pack for 75-90 minutes. One day a week, I drop it down to 45-50 pounds and go out for 3 hours.

I lift weights 3 times a week with a trainer for an hour. I do yoga 3 times a week for an hour.

In addition to this, I do to my ranch periodically and do some manual labor. Things like throwing around over 100 bags of feed.

For a guy who is 63, I am in damn good shape. When I get to the mountains trying to follow these kids, I feel like the biggest loser ever.

I have another Dall hunt booked next year. It is a hell of a lot easier than a Stone. Unfortunately, the weather they encountered was far worse than what we had in BC. I am questioning the trip.

Finally, I ran track in college. I ran the mile in 4:00.7. I ran 5000 meters in 13:33.9. It isn’t like I don’t have some natural endurance. Struggling with this just about kills me.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your workout schedule is even more rigorous than mine. I do 90 minutes/day for 6 days /wk, mostly consisting of stair master with a pack or spinning. Also do core stuff and weights. Weekends are golf (walking, carrying a bag) and/ or bicycling. The point is, I am in shape, as are you, but being flatlanders we still struggle in the mountains. Being from a mountainous state and being able to walk in that kind of terrain every weekend is a huge advantage IMO. In any event, you are not alone in having those feelings!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Great ram under conditions that make most tap out.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:

Thanks.

I was randomly selected for search in the Smithers airport. The woman with airport security was chatting with me. She told me that there had been many hunters come through the airport who had quit early because of the weather. Further, she said almost none had taken a sheep.

I was lucky, very lucky. There has been a price to pay. I lost a lot of conditioning laying in that tent while it rained or snowed. Exercising this week has pointed this out.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Struggling with this just about kills me.

I am 63 also I am sure can't run like I did in my 20's

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ran 5000 meters in 13:33.9.

That's fast considering the world record back in the 70's was 20 or so seconds under that.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
I ran 5000 meters in 13:33.9.

That's fast considering the world record back in the 70's was 20 or so seconds under that.

When I was running it was 13:13. Emile Puttemans. Spelling?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:

Thanks.

I was randomly selected for search in the Smithers airport. The woman with airport security was chatting with me. She told me that there had been many hunters come through the airport who had quit early because of the weather. Further, she said almost none had taken a sheep.

I was lucky, very lucky. There has been a price to pay. I lost a lot of conditioning laying in that tent while it rained or snowed. Exercising this week has pointed this out.

don't usually have the problem in Africa or NZ or Europe or Pakistan or Texas....

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
quote:

Thanks.

don't usually have the problem in Africa or NZ or Europe or Pakistan or Texas....

My last trip to NZ, I called off the chamois portion due to weather. I just booked Pakistan. A portion was described as just like hunting Alaska, to expect weather delays.

No doubt mountain hunts carry some risks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry ,
Great report. You are right about the weather and the outfitters.
Ron and Maria are great people.

glad to hear you found a ram and a nice one at that.

Cheers

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I see the problem Wink Eeker

You should brought your snow machine … Whistling

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
quote:

I see the problem Wink Eeker

You should brought your snow machine … Whistling

Morten

My friend Morten..... the Norwegian comedian!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping

Easy now Larry... even Norwegians would have trouble hunting in such conditions. That's why we use the snow machines tu2

Morten
Your friend Smiler

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Larry congratulations !

So other than the weather, the sleeping pad, the gloves, the leaking binocs, the poor raingear, the backpack and the meat issues everything else sounds like a blast!

Jesting aside - congrats on a successful hunt and thanks for positing !

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2260 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great ram Larry!

Sorry to hear about all of your equipment problems, but thanks for your candid report.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious Larry- After that big dump of snow how long did it take to melt off?

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It never completely melted. There were always patches where we camped. Much more up higher.

If my memory serves me correctly, most was gone in 4 days. We dug it out around the tent to help reduce condensation.

Had it not rained , it would have no doubt taken longer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It occurs to me that I left a couple of things out.

First, during this abysmal weather, I kept getting the weather report which showed it improving the next day which never happened. After the sheep. I told them that I had to get out of there. I could not get stranded. I gave up 4 days of hunting . The other animals were safe.

We did see other animals. For example, we spotted a massive bull moose. Probably a book moose. I said no to the moose. I was shooting nothing else until I shot my sheep. They have lots of other game. Moose,caribou and goat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Helo or fixed wing flights, Larry? Not that either would’ve provided you with a much better chance of getting out in the weather you described.....

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fixed wing.

I would not have flown in anything in that weather.