THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    Firearms through National Parks

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms through National Parks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We will be driving up the Alaska Highway this year with a camper. We want to visit the Canadian Parks on the way up, but I will have a rifle. As I read the rules this is not allowed in Parks.
Any exceptions, seals etc.? So I can transport the rifle through?

If not, I will send the rifle to an Alaskan gunsmith for cleaning and inspection, then pick it up in AK.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can transport firearms through national parks just have to be unloaded and in a case they have done away with the trigger seal years ago do a goggle search on Parks Canada web site . Enjoy your trip.

Posts: 477 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Traveling thru Canada you will need to register at the border

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvrhunter:
Traveling thru Canada you will need to register at the border

Thankfully we did away with that for rifles, Just don't bring any other artillery. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
As a U.S. Citizen and on our way up moving to Alaska in 2005, I registered all my rifles at the border and paid my fees, we took a vacation and went into Jasper National park, Banff etc... and declared the firearms as we entered the park, we had no problems and neither did park authorities even mind. I even took all my rifles into the banff Springs hotel to prevent any tampering or theft. No problems....have a safe trip.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
here s the legal and official answer

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca...81-401/FullText.html

FIREARMS

20. (1) No person shall be in possession of a firearm in a park unless the firearm is not loaded and is transported in a case or is wrapped and tied securely in such a manner that no part of the firearm is exposed.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to

(a) a person in Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve who is hunting pursuant to a hunting permit issued under subsection 13.1(1); or

(b) a bonded armoured car service guard who is carrying out assigned duties in the park.

(3) No person shall

(a) have a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle, vessel or aircraft; or

(b) discharge a firearm from a vehicle, vessel or aircraft.

(4) The superintendent may issue a permit authorizing a person to carry a firearm or trap where the firearm or trap is to be carried through the park for use outside the park.

(5) No person shall carry a firearm or trap outside a vehicle, vessel or aircraft unless

(a) that person

(i) has a permit from the superintendent authorizing the carrying of a firearm or trap, whichever is applicable, and

(ii) complies with these Regulations; or

(b) the firearm or trap is being carried directly

(i) from a vehicle, vessel or aircraft to that person’s premises, or

(ii) to a vehicle, vessel or aircraft from that person’s premises.

(6) No person, other than a bonded armoured car service guard in the performance of that person’s duties in a park, shall discharge a firearm, except on a rifle range or when shooting wild ducks in the Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve in accordance with these Regulations.

(7) No person shall possess a firearm or other device for capturing or destroying wildlife in Kejimkujik, La Mauricie or Point Pelee National Parks, or in Forillon National Park except when traversing the park along Highway 132, unless the person has been authorized under paragraph 15(1)(a) to remove, relocate or destroy wildlife.

SOR/82-463, s. 1(F);
SOR/84-874, s. 3;
SOR/88-40, ss. 6, 7(F);
SOR/91-421, s. 7;
SOR/92-441, s. 4(E);
SOR/97-102, s. 8.

21. Every person who is in possession of a firearm or trap shall, on the request of a park warden or other peace officer, allow the park warden or peace officer to inspect

(a) the firearm or trap; and

(b) the permit required for carrying the firearm or trap.

SOR/97-102, s. 9(E).

22. Every person acting as a guide for any individual or group carrying firearms or traps shall ensure that they are carried in accordance with these Regulations.

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote