New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearm Friendly Airline
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What experience does anyone have with Canadian airlines? Booking a flight on American to Vancouver, then onward. Looks like the options are Air Canada and West Jet. Just trying to be proactive and find the airline with the least hassles transporting a rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never flown WestJet, but have heard a couple of good reports on them. My experience with Air Canada was not very good. Big fees for stuff they called extra that did not exist on the United flights we had in from US. Look for policies on ammo for instance. It works a lot better if the airline will allow you to carry your ammo in the same locked case that holds your rifle. Probably others will have good sdvice. I would not fly Air Canada. Good luck

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Air Canada IS A "PIA" !!!

Posts: 134 | Location: Eastern,USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't sound very complimentary, but what does PIA stand for?

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PIA=pain in azz

Posts: 134 | Location: Eastern,USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
air north ... but it is not helping you ...

Posts: 1731 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go Westjet, ....at least no surcharges for firearms, and they're friendly!

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 55 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 31 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, guys. It sounds like my impressions of Air Canada were correct...avoid them if at all possible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
air canada really sucks

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
No problems flying with firearms on either but Air Canada does charge an additional fee just because it's a firearm. I wouldn't call either of them firearm friendly but no issues flying with guns on either. Pick the cheapest one. Both have publicly come out against African hunting so they both suck in my opinion.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from flying Air Canada and WestJet. They tore up both my pieces of luggage. This was a Cabelas Alaskan Guide Duffel and a Tuffpak firearm case. They were polite but a pain in the butt. THey also charged me, if memory serves, $50.00 for bringing a firearm on-board an airplane. If I was close enough to drive, I would have.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by strapman:
I just got back from flying Air Canada and WestJet. They tore up both my pieces of luggage. This was a Cabelas Alaskan Guide Duffel and a Tuffpak firearm case. They were polite but a pain in the butt. THey also charged me, if memory serves, $50.00 for bringing a firearm on-board an airplane. If I was close enough to drive, I would have.

Yup........ drive if you can. Last time I flew in the US my rifle case arrived with the corners blown out. United Airlines....... but who know s what trained monkeys were doing the baggage in the airport in Minneapolis.

Bottom line is all airline travel with firearms now is a royal pain in the ass.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1810 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote