New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outfitter for mountain caribou
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for a single species hunt for mountain caribou with a reputable outfitter. Looking for a big bull versus lots of caribou

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not particular if it’s BC or NWT . I emailed fire mountain outfitters.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
https://www.ravensthroat.com

Has a lot of caribou, know him personally never hunted with him. He is from Wyoming.

http://www.huntnahanni.com/wel...h-nahanni-outfitters

Has a lot of caribou operates up against the Yukon border, know him personally never hunted with him. He is originally from Austria and his wife is German. Also wonderful people, and no BS.

Mountain caribou are ballbusting expensive right now. I wouldn't hunt them in BC unless you just wanted to go about 3 times to get one.

I have zero experience with either one of these folks as an oufitter.

I know also know Travis Mayer from Williston Lake Outfitters and two brothers who are rodeo cowboys who own another oufitting place on Williston lake. There are caribou there, but they are rare.

Raven throat is about 20,000 for a mountain caribou with the cost of a charter. Nahanni caribou hunts are dependent on a sheep hunt booking. So you are for 30,000 for the combo.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
There are a few good outfitters in BC but you are better off looking at the southern Yukon and the Mackenzie's in the NWT.
Have a look at the outfitters on their respective association websites.

https://www.yukonoutfittersassociation.com/

https://www.huntnwt.com

Caesar Lake Outfitters in the southern Yukon is a good outfit, as is NWT Outfitters in the NWT. There are others of course and it pays to do your due diligence. As mentioned by BWW, mountain caribou hunts have really gone up in price over the last decade, so be prepared for sticker shock. Be sure you check the rates out carefully and what is included and what is not.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may have to wait in line but I would go with Fire Mountain if you really want a big bull.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest visiting with Tim Mervyn - Mervyn's Yukon Outfitting. I hunted with Tim in 2017 and took a 425 7/8 bull, 30 something in the B & C book. If you look at the top 50 Mtn Caribou you will see several near Aishihik Lake, which is right in the middle of Tim's area. Good Luck.

Posts: 30 | Location: Coeur d Alene, Idaho | Registered: 21 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tombstone outfitters in the Yukon. Ravensthroat outfitters in the NWT. Have hunted with both successfully

Posts: 12 | Location: canada | Registered: 26 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elkhunter62:
I would suggest visiting with Tim Mervyn - Mervyn's Yukon Outfitting. I hunted with Tim in 2017 and took a 425 7/8 bull, 30 something in the B & C book. If you look at the top 50 Mtn Caribou you will see several near Aishihik Lake, which is right in the middle of Tim's area. Good Luck.

in the area you mentionned in the yukon there is a lot of local hunting pressure.

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
There are a few good outfitters in BC but you are better off looking at the southern Yukon and the Mackenzie's in the NWT.

Caesar Lake Outfitters in the southern Yukon is a good outfit, as is NWT Outfitters in the NWT. There are others of course and it pays to do your due diligence. As mentioned by BWW, mountain caribou hunts have really gone up in price over the last decade, so be prepared for sticker shock. Be sure you check the rates out carefully and what is included and what is not.

Kelly,

you re back to BC?

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:

Kelly,

you re back to BC?

Yes Phil, back in BC.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

in the area you mentionned in the yukon there is a lot of local hunting pressure.

About 100 miles NW of Whitehorse, access by plane only. Then horses from camp. No local pressure while I was there.

Posts: 30 | Location: Coeur d Alene, Idaho | Registered: 21 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Booked a hunt in BC with Lovebros& Lee. Thanks for all the input.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:

You'll have a good hunt with them. They have been in the business for many years and it is gorgeous country they hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:

You will have a great hunt with Ron and Brenda. Great people and know their business well.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

About 100 miles NW of Whitehorse, access by plane only. Then horses from camp. No local pressure while I was there.

it is a draw area the fact you did not see no one doesnt mean there is no local hunting pressure. but what do i know ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stan Steven’s McKenzie Mtn in NWT is outstanding and has big mtn bou.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted them a couple times with Arctic Red River Outfitters in the NWT.
Awesome place.

I also killed a couple Dall sheep there too and my daughter did as well. Son-in-law killed a 415" bull.

Zeke