THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    Any Yukon members interested in being a hunter host?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Yukon members interested in being a hunter host?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As the title says, I'm looking for somebody who would be interested in being a hunter host for moose and/or caribou. I've been up to the Yukon a couple times as a teenager and would love to go hunting there. I've been on several moose hunts here in SK but its not the same experience. Anyways, hope to hear from somebody!

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good luck with that.

you need to be friend to do that.

there is a lot involved while special guiding and without knowing someone very well i dont know a lot that will do it.

just my 2 cents from that place.

Phil

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Yes that could be a tough one. I guided in the Yukon years ago, but of course you do not get to shoot anything as a guide, it is work. Would love to go back there for moose, but have been unable to find a host. Most of the guys I knew up there have moved out of the Yukon or were like me, seasonal workers up there.

Good luck with it though, you never know.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Medved, I'm well aware of what goes on during a hunting trip. I wouldn't expect it to be anything like a guided hunt. As I said, I'm no stranger to moose hunting and the work that goes into it. Did you have a bad experience or something?

I know it's a long shot but thought there might be someone willing to do it. Don't really know of many places to bump into somebody from up there that hunts.

Skyline that seems to be the case with a couple guys I know that guided up there as well.

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did one once, with an immediate family member, only way I'd consider it. As it was, my BIL from Ontario had no concept of the dangers that can befall you out here, like Grizzly bears or getting totally lost. Big chance taking a total unknown into the woods and being responsible for his actions.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Andersen:
Medved, I'm well aware of what goes on during a hunting trip. I wouldn't expect it to be anything like a guided hunt. As I said, I'm no stranger to moose hunting and the work that goes into it. Did you have a bad experience or something?

I know it's a long shot but thought there might be someone willing to do it. Don't really know of many places to bump into somebody from up there that hunts.

Skyline that seems to be the case with a couple guys I know that guided up there as well.

Peter,

sent you a PM.

Phil

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wednesday is the opening of the 100 special guiding licenses.

im predicting it will be over before friday.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it took 2h and 10 minutes and all the 100 licenses were gone.

first time ever that was that fast. last year only 87 gone in a day.

4 years ago maybe in late May.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think next year the special guide licenses will be on a draw.

watson lake

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Watson Lake:
I think next year the special guide licenses will be on a draw.

watson lake

i hope but wont hold my breath it was supposed to be implemented this year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the PM medved, I'll reply when I get some proper time. That's damn fast!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
it took 2h and 10 minutes and all the 100 licenses were gone.

first time ever that was that fast. last year only 87 gone in a day.

4 years ago maybe in late May.

This shows me that Yukons outfitters protection law is working well.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Pdog
Something to ponder is why Yukon residents will have to wait another two years to special guide Bison.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yukon Mountaineer:
Pdog
Something to ponder is why Yukon residents will have to wait another two years to special guide Bison.

as pdog said to protect well the outfitter lol ...

posted Hide Post
Well, maybe a certain outfitter........

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pdog

Especially when the total population of that species is...what...about 3x the original intended number? I am a big fan of the outfitter who offers those hunts (and I am certainly no expert) but from what I have heard about Bison showing up outside his area I think special guide licenses should be offered in high numbers outside his borders. Time to get that herd under control most likely.

posted Hide Post
Tendrams, are you a Yukoner by chance?
If so, please excuse the question, but I had to ask. As a Yukoner, you are familiar with the Bison core range? Its right smack dab in outfitting concession 13, which is the outfitter in questions concession. So you are proposing that I shouldn't be able to special guide a friend on a Bison hunt at Aishihik, Kloo lake, Sceptre lake, Hutshi lakes, basically the entire Yukon Bison range because its in his concession and you're a "fan" of his?
Sorry, you lost me on this one.
Heres a link to the Bison range map, with the core area completely marked.
Core Area

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
I say guys (maybe I should start a new tread on this) I would love to hunt one of your Wood Bison up there & I could swap a Water Buffalo hunt (maybe a Bantang but much harder/$) in Australia, I guide for one of the main NT Australian outfitters, can a Yukon resident get a special guiding permit & take me after one ?

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sarg:
I say guys (maybe I should start a new tread on this) I would love to hunt one of your Wood Bison up there & I could swap a Water Buffalo hunt (maybe a Bantang but much harder/$) in Australia, I guide for one of the main NT Australian outfitters, can a Yukon resident get a special guiding permit & take me after one ?

you can not do that.

first no swap hunt just dividing the real costs of the hunt.
second special guiding is made for Canadian citizen and Permanent Resident.
third we are still waiting to get the special guiding for bison.

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply & info, you lost me on this bit how ever !

" first no swap hunt just dividing the real costs of the hunt."

A Buff hunt would be the same value or more in most cases, did you mean some thing different ?

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
back

...``... Remember:
It is illegal to receive or promise any compensation, reward or gain for acting as a special guide. ...``...

extract from here will all the questions you may need to read ..

http://www.env.gov.yk.ca/hunti...AQ_2015-16_final.pdf

all the best.

Phil

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Thank you Phil, makes very good sense then & I would never mention such a thing !

Very good of you to but me straight & I thank the original poster for prompting me to ask, this has made me look harder & seen Alberta has a few opportunity's to !

Regards Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you find your hunt, you should use the Speeder. Big Grin And the Ross for back-up.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
LOL !

Yes I think the 303 with 215gr might be up to it, just my eyesight & the open sights to worry about !

The Ross for Back-Up, are you coming to, your welcome to ?

Seeing as we cant shoot your ones !

Cheers !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not being able shoot the buffalo that graze on my place is one of the worlds great injustices. Frowner Popped a bear yesterday while pondering that.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
Not being able shoot the buffalo that graze on my place is one of the worlds great injustices. Frowner Popped a bear yesterday while pondering that.

good to hear that (bear side). hope you will enjoy the meat of your bear.

how come you can not take one of the bison on your land? not your herd?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are wild and un-huntable legally. They are known as the Sturgeon River herd.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tendrams, are you a Yukoner by chance?
If so, please excuse the question, but I had to ask. As a Yukoner, you are familiar with the Bison core range? Its right smack dab in outfitting concession 13, which is the outfitter in questions concession. So you are proposing that I shouldn't be able to special guide a friend on a Bison hunt at Aishihik, Kloo lake, Sceptre lake, Hutshi lakes, basically the entire Yukon Bison range because its in his concession and you're a "fan" of his?
Sorry, you lost me on this one.
Heres a link to the Bison range map, with the core area completely marked.
Core Area

I spend a good bit of time up there every year, let's just say that. That said, and while I am a fan of that particular outfitter, I am not necessarily saying that special guide licenses should not EVER be allowed in his area. What I AM saying is that the animals have gone FAR outside their core range. Hell, a pilot I know reported seeing them just south of Little Salmon Lake and that was TWO YEARS ago! Can't help but wonder where they have gotten to by now. Given that keeping some handle on the species should be a high priority, I think if I were making the call I would make special guide licenses available IN ABUNDANCE outside the guide area...but not to protect the outfitter at all...just to try to reign in the species to where it was originally intended to be and to try to get the numbers a bit more under control. Offering special guide licenses inside the core range works against that objective in the short term. In the intermediate term, given that the resident pressure and the guided hunters don't seem to put enough of a dent in the population to keep it under control, I don't see why offering special licenses inside the area should be a problem at all. That, however, in my mind anyway would be a longer term strategy than trying to geographically contain the things right now.

JMHO

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:

good to hear that (bear side). hope you will enjoy the meat of your bear.

how come you can not take one of the bison on your land? not your herd?

Phil....... they are plains bison. The herd is in/around Prince Albert National Park.

That is one thing about bison, they go where they want. It is why I question whether the plains bison transplants they want to do in the foothills regions of the Rockies in southern Alberta will ever go ahead. There are people pushing for it, but long term it could be an issue for private land owners......... unless they work out some sensible management plan for containing them to the core areas. Generally this has been somewhat of a failure everywhere else.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't mind them around, but a few hundred bison eat more alfalfa than you'd think at first. Even a few dozen. Give me a tag once in a while and I'd be happy to call it even.