Find
Notify
Tools

Antler Theft?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Million and a half bucks, must have been something special.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About 20 yrs ago I had taken a real nice 5x5 Whitetail. Had the antlers in the backyard ready to go to the local wildlife clubs Big Buck Night.Couple days before the Big buck night I notice the antlers are missing. Set of man tracks coming through the back gate directly to where the antlers were then back out the gate. Maybe he couldn't shoot his own nice rack so decided to steal one.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an outfitter in Alberta who stole large antlers from a taxidermist back in the 80"s took them to Texas and implanted them onto dead bucks and then used the pictures for advertising.
I believe he is still in operation after numerous infractions since. I believe his last name is McMahon.
Funny story almost to hard to believe. Check it out.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgu...gal-hunting-scandal/

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Not the first time a taxidermist was broken into and big racks stolen. I recall that happening to another taxidermist in Alberta about 10 years ago.

I had a nice 5x5 whitetail buck that I had rough caped (head in) stolen out of the back of my pickup one year when I stopped for gas. Went inside to pay and when I came back out the head was gone.

The world is full of assholes.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
This is the first large-scale theft that I've heard of....makes me think there is more here than someone desiring a big rack.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
Not the first time a taxidermist was broken into and big racks stolen. I recall that happening to another taxidermist in Alberta about 10 years ago.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I don't recall that. I know there have been cases of a set of antlers or two going missing but 69 sets all at once?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what to think of that. The first thing that comes to mind is where did the 1.5 million price come from? "course, I'm a cynic.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I suspect it was value of hunts. There is very little value to actual antlers. That's why a big heist like this doesn't make sense unless it was revenge or antis.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is very little value to actual antlers.

Don't bank to highly on that. People will do some really strange things. I remember one time at the Fort Worth Zoo where I worked, in the exhibit area I was in charge of we had a working barn yard area and someone had donated a really impressive whitetail skull with exceptional antlers still attached and some one stole it off of the barn.

On my first elk hunt in Colorado in 1992, I drove thru Gunnison, and there was a business there in town that sold sheds, skulls with antlers attached, neck capes from elk and mule deer all sorts of "Hunting" trophies, and they seemed to be doing a brisk business.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
The province of BC used to hold auctions all the time of road killed and confiscated wildlife and the prices were very low...basically whatever they were worth to a carver which isn't much. Sale of intact skulls from native animals is very difficult to impossible to do legally and on the black market if such thing actually existed they'd be worth carver prices. Like I say, it's not hard to see someone coveting a set of antlers on a barn but this was a large-scale theft of something with minimal monetary value. Now as revenge or for antis sticking it to hunters....well then there is likely lots of value...just not monetary. Let's remember we are talking 69 racks here!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chilcotin hillbilly:
There is an outfitter in Alberta who stole large antlers from a taxidermist back in the 80"s took them to Texas and implanted them onto dead bucks and then used the pictures for advertising.
I believe he is still in operation after numerous infractions since. I believe his last name is McMahon.
Funny story almost to hard to believe. Check it out.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgu...gal-hunting-scandal/

Good old Peter "Midnight"McMahon always wonder what happened to him after that little bump in his ever so shaded hunting-outfitting operation

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wanna hunt with Lloyd? Smiler

http://www.greatwhiteholdings.com/about/

Alberta outfitters aren't big on scruples when it comes to being a member of their organization.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
On my first elk hunt in Colorado in 1992, I drove thru Gunnison, and there was a business there in town that sold sheds, skulls with antlers attached, neck capes from elk and mule deer all sorts of "Hunting" trophies, and they seemed to be doing a brisk business.

I have been in that same gun store twice. Interesting place to look around and very full of sheds. Owner was peculiar to say the least. Almost like a mad rattlesnake with his attitude.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
Wanna hunt with Lloyd? Smiler

http://www.greatwhiteholdings.com/about/

Alberta outfitters aren't big on scruples when it comes to being a member of their organization.

Grizz

Lloyd is a brother to Peter 2 different class of people

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Grizz

Insurance scam

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Grizz

Insurance scam

What are 69 guided hunts worth? Add in travel, tips, licences..............simple replacement cost.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Grizz

Insurance scam

What are 69 guided hunts worth? Add in travel, tips, licences..............simple replacement cost.

Antlers lost, you get a free hunt? Confused No guarantee trophies will be replaced either

Grizz

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:

Antlers lost, you get a free hunt? Confused No guarantee trophies will be replaced either

Grizz

You can get insurance that pays for another hunt if trophies are lost. Seems the only way they could come close to being replaced.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I'd go for 69 and big rack any day of the week

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Babe WInkelman is disgusting

-- once enjoyed his shows until I recently seen one where he was hunting with Lloyd McMahon and great white holdings. I will never watch his show again. In the show he says they are "hunting leased agricultural fields". I have never been one to send a tv show or product company an email until now. I grew up in the Lloydminster area and have numerous run ins with McMahon. I also see that him and his equally useless kid are now running their waterfowl allocations under his daughters name.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I once enjoyed his shows until I recently seen one where he was hunting with Lloyd McMahon and great white holdings. I will never watch his show again. In the show he says they are "hunting leased agricultural fields". I have never been one to send a tv show or product company an email until now. I grew up in the Lloydminster area and have numerous run ins with McMahon. I also see that him and his equally useless kid are now running their waterfowl allocations under his daughters name.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I can assure you gents, big antlers are big money. Dick Idol for instance paid a lot of big money for some of the many antlers in his massive collection. If memory serves me, his empire now exceeds $200 million (his art gallery/home furnishings). B&C racks command high prices on the collector market, and most of the antlers stolen were on finished mounts, greatly raising the value. Having shipped many finished and unfinished trophy's from abroad, I've always insured them.

I suspected it was drug related when I read this report. Evidently the Perps were into drugs...and stupidity.

I love waterfowl hunting but $1,000 a day with a criminal element? I'll pass.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
While top 10 racks may be worth some real money...most guys trying to sell shoulder or lifesize mounts are lucky to get the cost of the taxidermy back. This whole idea of antlers being worth serious money isn't remotely true for the most part (Top 10 heads excluded) It's too bad the rumour persists as it just encourages thefts like this one. Not too long ago I saw a huge California bighorn lifesize mount on a pedestal for sale for $3500. The cost of the mount was likely $5k and no one was lining up to buy it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This whole idea of antlers being worth serious money isn't remotely true for the most part

One just has to check the prices of mounts on craigslist to see that most are selling well under what it takes to mount them.

Then a lot of them just sit there and do not sell.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote