Find
Notify
Tools

Moose hunt.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted
I am interested in a Moose hunt in Ontario if possible for later this year,would anyone here have any recommendations?I am not really after the best trophy,just would love to harvest some meat & enjoy the hunt,thanks.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Ontario is probably the worst pick for a guided moose hunt. You might want to consider options in other provinces.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I can offer you a moose meat hunt or more specifically an any bull hunt at a very fair price but it's in B.C. I also have a inexpensive hunt in Newfoundland which is more doable from MI If you're driving.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12841 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Not to take anything away from Marks offer, take a look at Alberta also. There are some good deals for a respectable moose if you look around.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2785 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
Ontario is probably the worst pick for a guided moose hunt. You might want to consider options in other provinces.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Skyline, I've heard that about Ontario a few times regarding moose hunting. Can you elaborate as to why? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mt Al:
quote:

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Skyline, I've heard that about Ontario a few times regarding moose hunting. Can you elaborate as to why? Thanks in advance.

Yes please respond.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
our fishing cabin in ontario is in pretty prime moose country we don't see very many & the couple guides there don't shoot many

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
our fishing cabin in ontario is in pretty prime moose country we don't see very many & the couple guides there don't shoot many

Maybe that is why there have been no references Frowner

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
mt Al and Bill73.....sorry for the delay, have been bear hunting and doing yard work.

It would probably take several pages to explain the situation in Ontario, but suffice it to say that the way they currently manage moose creates an odd situation for non-resident hunters wanting to go on an outfitted hunt. You also need to realize that Ontario and Quebec have the highest populations of the Canadian provinces and territories. So demand for moose licenses is high with both licensed hunters and the large First Nations populations.

Typically the only way to moose hunt in Ontario for non-Canadians is to go through a lodge that receives a quota from the wildlife branch. These days they hand out a few bull licenses, a few cow licenses and lots of calf moose licenses. Lodges in more remote areas get more licenses than those in areas that compete heavily with residents. But none of the lodges get LOTS of licenses.

The lodges all have different ways of doing things, but there is a common theme of offering cheaper hunts with reduced services. Some offer drop camps without guides, some offer one bull tag and one cow tag for a group of 4 hunters. Some offer archery bull hunts and cow or calf tags for rifle hunts, etc. etc. But in the few instances where you are hunting a remote fly in camp on a fully guided hunt during the rut, where you have a chance at a decent bull...well the prices for those hunts are no longer a good deal. The low priced moose hunts, which is what everyone is seeking, are cheap for a reason.....meaning low success rates.

Most moose hunting in northern Ontario is by water on the lakes and rivers. Some years, when the weather cooperates, the rut hunts are great with high success. But if the weather sucks you can see zero success rates, even on the "rut" hunts. You completely depend on calling a bull out to the waters edge to get a shot. If the bulls aren't active you run the risk of not seeing a damn thing. This can also happen in northern Manitoba and Saskatchewan. There are no roads, no trails, no horses, lots of blow down and second growth burn areas...so you are stuck with calling them to the shoreline with zero options if that is not working.

If I lived back there in the midwest I would look hard at Newfoundland or back out west in Alberta or central/southern BC for a more economical moose hunt in areas with decent success rates for meat bulls/representative bulls. Much better bang for the buck.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
mt Al and Bill73.....sorry for the delay, have been bear hunting and doing yard work.

No worries and the bear hunting part of the delay sounds way better than the yard work part.

What you wrote kind of completes parts of what I've heard regarding Ontario. Competing with residence hunters (they have rights and if I was one I'd be on their side) and odd quotas, etc. The websites and pictures from Ontario outfitters make it look tempting. Thank you for the insight!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the insight as well,thank you.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bal, do it right...Alaska or NW Territories for a Trans-Alaskan Moose.

Posts: 20072 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Biebs....you missed the Yukon in that line of thought. Smiler

I could very well be wrong, but I am guessing if the OP was looking at Ontario he is probably not ready for the sticker shock for a hunt up in that neck of the woods. You will easily kick the hell out of 20K on an Alaska/Yukon moose hunt, and in many cases closer to 30K.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just keep applying in Maine....you’ll get picked someday.

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:

Alaska is my dream destination,but the wallet being not so fat nowadays? gotta look for an affordable meat hunt for now.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:

Alaska is my dream destination,but the wallet being not so fat nowadays? gotta look for an affordable meat hunt for now.

Don't feel bad. No way in hell I could afford the current rates for Alaska/Yukon moose hunts, so I keep myself satisfied with the diminutive Canada moose. Wink

You may want to check out a BC outfitter that frequents AR. I know his area and he has a very good reputation for quality hunts. His rates are very good and he offers the kind of hunts you are looking for, plus it is an extremely beautiful part of the country and you could probably add mule deer, black bear or wolf if you wanted. I am sure you can find some of his past/current clients here on AR as well. His user name on here is Chilcotin Hillbilly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Biebs and I have hunted with Phil Shoemaker; he has a great moose hunt and sometimes offers for less than 20k. I have hunted by flying out of ANC as well; did well on that hunt, but they were only about 50% success the year I hunted (one guy did pass on a barely legal bull). I shot the biggest one out of that camp that year (56.5) so when you are ready for a monster, I would look for a place in AK outside of the ANC floatplane reach.

I hunted in BC with Mike Young; shot a 52.5" Canada moose with him. My biggest moose was in the Yukon. Never hunted Newfoundland, but just might...how moose mounts can one man have?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Well many of us Canucks view moose hunting like you guys think of whitetails. If you shoot one every year, you can have a shed full of big racks before too much time goes by and you quickly learn you just can't mount them all.

If you go with one of the good BC outfitters along the BC Yukon border a bull in the mid 50's is pretty standard and if you keep your finger off the trigger you might get lucky and kill a bull that's 60 +/-. But a guy really needs to learn to concentrate on the palms as good palms mean a lot more with scoring than an inch or two of spread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know of a reasonable moose meat hunt in B.C.
Thanks for any advice

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Jim Lancaster at Copper River. Jims a big time outfitter from BC who owns outfits in the NWT as well. Great honest guy. Hunted with him twice and going back in 21 or 22. Tell him Scotty sent ya.