New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much ammo?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A very polite lady with Canadian Firearms told me I could bring as many guns as I liked but referred me to Canadian Customs for how much ammo I was allowed. The phone number she gave me was completely automated and I could find nothing about number of rounds importable. Anybody know that #? I want to bring 2 rifle and 40 rounds for each.

THX

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark - You should be just fine. The requisite Canadian firearms form 909 for non-residents will cost you about $20.00 USD at the border. It will cover two common hunting longarms. Last I knew (Nov. 2015), you can bring up to 200 rounds of hunting ammo into CA. Guy

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
should have no trouble finding ammo here in a pinch, at least the common calibers.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is 200 rounds. If you buy any here you will need someone with a license to buy it. You won't be able to do it on your own unless u have a PAL

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
You can import up to 200 rounds duty free.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you buy any here you will need someone with a license to buy it.

Does the Firearms Permit non-residents recieve on arrival, after payment of the fee, allow you to purchase ammo in Canada ?

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'm all set.

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kiwi - No

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 22Rimfire
posted Hide Post
You can bring as many guns as you want for the same fee. But you need to look closely at the Canadian definition of restricted or non restricted firearms.
They have some specific barrel length and stock configurations.
200 rounds per firearm is ok but more is possible.
I just went through with alot larger number but it took me 3 hours with customs.
JM2CW

Ignore your rights and they will go away!

Posts: 149 | Location: Talkeetna Alaska | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does the Firearms Permit non-residents recieve on arrival, after payment of the fee, allow you to purchase ammo in Canada ?

I had the notion it does. I went to the RCMP website to check the Non Resident Firearm Declaration form. Link here:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-...re/pdfs/5589-eng.pdf

The very last sentence on page 4 would suggest once in possession of the actual permit that purchasing ammo is possible.

Perhaps AR Canadian members could confirm this....??

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looked a bit further into info on the RCMP website.
The info below on their site seems to answer the question for Non Residents wanting to buy ammo:

Buying or Importing Ammunition

A PAL or a confirmed Non-Resident Firearm Declaration or a Temporary Firearms Borrowing Licence (for Non-residents) is necessary to buy ammunition in Canada. Limited amounts may be brought into Canada with you. Please note that ammunition should not be loaded in a firearm when arriving at an entry point.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please note that ammunition should not be loaded in a firearm when arriving at an entry point.

Yes, we frown on that. Smiler

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to echo what 22Rimfire said.
The form 909 has space for up to 3 rifles I believe, but on a separate piece of paper you can list as many guns as you want to take through.
Be sure to follow what 22Rimfire has stated about the barrel length and other configurations.
Bottom line is you can bring all your long guns through for only one $20 fee.
Permit is good for 3 months.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22Rimfire:

200 rounds per firearm is ok but more is possible.
I just went through with alot larger number but it took me 3 hours with customs.
JM2CW

I believe the limit is 5,000 rounds but only 200 are permitted duty free.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22Rimfire:
But you need to look closely at the Canadian definition of restricted or non restricted firearms.
They have some specific barrel length and stock configurations.

JM2CW

Even some action types are restricted...like the AR15 or variants of it. Some other semis are fine....don't ask for an explanation....it looks scary is enough for our legislators.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can purchase ammo only for the calibers listed on your temporary import firearm license.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The real question is what are you hunting Mark?

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dean,

I'm going to NL with some clients for moose and caribou.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm going to NL with some clients for moose and caribou.

Mark

Mark, then according to most experts here, your 243 will do just fine :-)

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote