Find
Notify
Tools

Northern Alberta on Fire
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted
While the lives of the people in Fort McMurray are the obvious concern right now, this may change some travel plans for hunters headed to northern Alberta this spring/fall. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/...ion-orders-1.3563977

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Southern Alberta ain't much better. Big Grin Fire bans out, but life will go on.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
60,000 plus people evacuated from Fort McMurray yesterday. It's a disaster zone up there and the fire marches east. Thoughts and prayers with all affected. http://www.calgarysun.com/2016...city-braces-for-more

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn.

I seen to recall a similar a large fire in the NWT a few years ago.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
This one was particularly bad because it burned right through the middle of a major urban centre. Hundreds if not thousands of homes have been lost.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Hopefully it doesn't ruin my bear hunt plans there. But worse are what the folks that live in the area might loose . Let's hope it rains soon.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
The fire is quite a ways east of where you are headed but the entire north is so dry that fires could spring up anywhere. No significant precipitation in the near future forecast.

Talking with a few firefighters I know up there and they say it's like a war zone. Roughly 2,000 homes destroyed so far and still burning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a tragic event up there right now. Prayers go out for our neighbors to the north!

I can't even imagine what they're going through as I sit here writing our CWPP (community wildfire protection plan).

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prayers for the people in the area of the AB fires. I hope this situation turns around quickly.

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
Today's estimate is 100,000 hectares (247,000 acres) in size and still totally out of control. They are moving people that evac'd North of City through town to south in groups of 50 cars at time.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the wind may switch tomorrow and push it east, at least moving it away from Fort McMurray. It will be the largest insurance payout for a single event in Canadian history. It will take years to rebuild.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prayers are with you fine folks. Please remember, things can be replaced, you cannot be.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todays report
2400+ homes and buildings destroyed good news no schools or hospitals
80,000 people evacuated
With only 2 people that were killed in a car accident
Fire is a 240,000 + hectors and growing with no sign of rain for the next 2-3 days .Winds have pushed the fire to the east and that's a good thing for now.
But those tough SOB people in Alberta will come back fighting and win this battle beer

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote